Advice for wearing father's medals on the right

[QUOTE="]
The issue for clarification is whether the OP is "Service personnel". I, for one, haven't a clue what he means by a "reservist noncom (not a full member until late 2020...)". I understand provisional rank but I've never come across provisional attestation. Does he have to wait until late 2020 to find out whether he'll get paid for any training he does until then?

So your a civvy then.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Personally, if I had a set of family medals and none of my own, I would only wear them on my suit (on the right), on Remembrance day at our local service.

Maybe I'm using wrong language to describe as a noncom (not a full member until 2020). You are right I'm not able to be paid for the reserves work until i have the certificate of medical training in hand (late 2020) and be waived for my own hearing (I'd pretty much be flying a desk in the reserves because we sit and test hearing loss in a sound booth, but as we know reserves do have to be able to be deployed if required) but I attend my reserve training already in a unofficial I guess capacity (mostly fitness related atm) as a "pledge" for lack of better word.

I've mostly signed up because of family history, and I cannot be a full services with the medical waiver. I suspect my family history of military is part and parcel of the provisional acceptance/offer. And my willingness to upskill to simple paramedic as a non medic civilian is the compensatory cherry for mod regs.
Hope that clarifies
So you attend training evenings even though you've not been accepted? The unit are happy for you to tip up and do phys?

My bold - You're having a laugh. It's probably to bump up some recruiting numbers

Thanks for the replies lads. Very good points made by all.

I think I'll chat to gdad too (retired WO) for his opinion on it. Sounds like he might have some views on the wearing of said medals, given the variety of yays and nays here :)

Might be better off with a regimental pin or something subtle and inkeeping with the events dinner dress code "dinner dress with decoration".

Which I understand means formal wear but not the penguin suit

Thanks again and I'll give it some proper thought.
Dinner dress does mean black tie I believe

I suspect my family history of military is part and parcel of the provisional acceptance/offer.
I would doubt it unless you have elderly close relatives named Elizabeth and Philip.

Or put them in your pocket and smile outwardly.
Exactly what my wife does with her father's medals. They stay in a pocket and only come out if she's discussing her father's service with someone.

I on the other hand, have a family full of deserters and draft-dodgers. If they'd passed medals down to me I'd be dressed up every year like a Spanish admiral.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
@Nbar067 First off, sorry to read of the passing of your Father.

I am a bit confused to the MBE with Acorn leaf and the other 'non combat' medals (4 in total), especially as you state that he was Infantry, so not having a GSM for Northern Ireland would be very surprising, unless he was TA. Any chance you can post a pic of said medals?

And if he was Regular, perhaps you could expand on his Regt and Bn, as well as rank and name, there may well be some on here that knew him; hearing good dits about him is always good.

As for wearing the medals, I would say absolutely not (my opinion only). Get them framed with some nice pictures and hang it with pride in your house. And ask your Grand Father if you can have his medals too.

Get them framed and stick them up on your right side of your jacket on Armistice Day if you feel so inclined. Not sure about wearing other people's medals (even in memoriam) to other events. However, no rules say you can't, so do what you feel comfortable doing.

Sorry for the loss of your pa.

Latest Threads