Advice for Reservists from Monster

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SaBRE_helpline, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In these tough times, we all know that talking to your employer about your TA commitments can be trickier than ever. To try to help, SaBRE has teamed up with Monster, the UK's leading career management and recruitment website, to provide practical advice specifically for Reservists.

At you will find videos and factsheets on:

- Explaining the value of your skills and experience
    - Talking about your Reservist role in job interviews
    - Asking your employer for time off for training
    - Discussing mobilisation with your employer
    - Gaining the support of your employer

We are also sending DVDs, posters and leaflets out to every Reserve Forces Unit to promote these new resources. They will be delivered to Unit HQs this week.
  2. Sticking my employer head on I find the unwillingness to admit that intelligent mobilisation means the employee has asked to be considered disturbing. This point is dodged quite effectively in the advice given.

I would consider it only reasonable for an employee to consult with their boss prior to putting their name down. Indeed, I would not surprised if failure to do so is seen as a breakdown in trust between employer and employee. I know my employer would see it that way. Frankly, if I had staff who turned up looking innocent with their mob papers when I know damn well they volunteered months ago and didn't bother to tell me I'd know I couldn't trust them again.

This also lays the TA open to a charge that it encourages soldiers to mislead their employers to facilitate mobilisation. Given the lack of effective employment protection it's the last thing we need.

It is indeed a shame that SaBRE has dodged the issue and potentially dropped those that follow their advice in the mire.
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

What happens if an employer challenges a court directive to pay compensation for someone sacked when their 'job description changed', whist on Op's, and it transpires they 'volunteered to be mobilised'? Even though the Call was Compulsory, did they NOTIFY their employer that it was their INTENT to be VOLUNTARILY 'complusorily' called up?

I can see a legal test case happening one day, where the employer wins, claiming he/she was misled (even if that was not the case). Where does that leave the rest of us?
  4. What if the employer happens to be going through redundancies and claims that the employee would have lost their job anyway even if they weren't on Op's? Would this hold up in court or would it be thrown at as a lame excuse?

I haven't passed out yet but I have a view to be mobilised when I do. However, my current employer is looking to lay off a number of people early/mid next year and it is a constant worry they will decide I need to be made redundant when I am away.
  5. Interesting one. I don't know how the legislation forcing the employer to give you your job back would stack up against a legal redundancy decision (that is, you'd have gone following a fair redundancy process were you working there and not on tour). I suspect a lawyer wouldn't know either, as I'm not aware of any previous cases and hence precedent in this area. This means you'd have to take it to court to find out.

However, any such case would have to be financed by yourself - neither the Army nor SABRE offer money or legal support. No doubt you could have all the leaflets you wanted though. And without a job that's hardly easy.
  6. msr

msr LE

I don't have the references to hand, but I was of the understanding that if you were in a division of a company which was going to be downsized, then it's tough luck.

Although I presume the army would continue to match your civilian salary until discharge.

7. I'd be interested to know how many people genuinely have jobs, other than some form of civil service/NHS/local Govt one, to come back to. I know that none of the major private employers I've ever worked for would have stood for me voluntarily going off. I got miserable comments about "lack of commitment to the company" for wanting to get away at 19.30 on a Friday....

I have a hunch that most "intelligently" mobilised TA are either self-employed, unemployed or already work for some arm of the State ?
  8. Having spoken to a few people who have lost there jobs as a result of being mobilised, it seems its as easy as changing everybody's job description.

Then it's "Sorry, but under the reorganisation, we no longer have need of people with your level of experience/responsibility. We have tried to fit you into other positions, but your skills don't match."

Of course they don't. The job descriptions were written specifically with that in mind.
  9. Agreed Trossachs, although that only works when considering the impact of mobilisation against the employee. The last figures that I saw (whch were 2003/4) indicated that most members of the TA at that point worked for private employers of <250 pers.

Can't speak for anyone else, other than myself and the two other guys I served with, who found themselves with serious employment issues, following our three-day "intelligent mobilisation" - The three of us all spoke to Sabre, Sabre's response in all three cases was not only useless, but failed to comprehend the impact that MOD policy was having on the goodwill and employment of reservists.

Maybe if Sabre were to come down from the PR cloud that it appears to have lived on during its existence, it might just start to serve the people for whom it was introduced.

I would go on to remind Sabre just how good Monster were with the security of its subscriber data and the risks that Monster took with that data. So, if the tie-up with Monster is meant to be some form of PR coup, possibly Sabre_Helpline could explain which other online job sites and agencies were offered the opportunity to be part of this coup?
  10. The reality is there is no effective employment protection. SABRE mean well and produce some pretty brochures, but they are not resourced, funded or equipped to do anything more than that. As has been eloquently pointed out earlier handing the MD a canape and listening to him make some vague motherhood statements about the TA means nothing. Your fate is sealed by the middle manager whose bonus is shredded by your absence.

As to those who mobilise, what I see is the younger element jacking in jobs to go on tour, and when they wish to start a career they jack in the TA.

The older element - and there are far fewer of them - are either civil servants, self-employed or confident enough they'll get a job when they get back that they don't mind jacking their job in. There are rumoured to be supportive employers out there who work with their staff to let them mobilise, but like the fabled bus full of nurses from Rinteln actual sightings are few and far between.

Oh - and the middle aged element generally don't exist as the younger ones don't stay around any more as being in the TA is not compatible with employment outside the civil service, defence industry and these oft mentioned but rarely seen supportive employers. The breadth of employers seen when I joined in 1990 does not exist any more.
  11. That is the most accurate assessment of the TA/employer/mobilisation situation that I have ever read. Spot on One of the Strange and sadly I suspect a situation with no solution.....sorry I fear I may be dragging this into another "What is the TA for etc" thread :D
  12. Its easy to blame Sabre for everything but, as OOTS says, they're very limited in what they can do. Ministers and Generals at the MoD are responsible for the weak laws to protect people in the TA and for so called "intelligent mobilisation". Maybe the long awaited reserves review will address this (probably not!). The recession can't be blamed on Sabre either.

I've just been looking at this new stuff Sabre has published and it actually seems pretty useful, step-by-step advice. At least they're trying.

Perhaps it would be more useful to suggest what else Sabre should realistically be doing?
  13. How about if and when you do lose your job through mobilisation then the MOD must continue to pay you your current salary until you find suitable employment?

Even if this means employing you on a temporary basis within your or any TAC or local recruiting/training centre?
  14. That would be the best solution - complete your POTL and then if your employer has sacked you your mobilisation is extended.