Advice for PTI course

I have been put on the PTI course in Jan (yes before you shout so I can wear the tight blue zip top) and wondering if anybody has any advice. I am running loads and crunching those stomach muscles but do I need to read up on anything before the course? Sounds stupid but how fit do have to be i.e do I have run the mile and half in a stupid time? I am running it in 9 minutes at the moment is that okay? or I should be looking at increasing my speed?

I appreciate any advice

I'd say work on your upper body strength as you'll be on the assault course a bit.
Read up on Cardiovascular systems and the like. Names of muscles and bones in the body, what systems we use when exercising, muscle make up etc etc.

How good at applying self-tanning lotion are you? You need to be able to do it so no streaks appear. Also the same for oil/body lotion.....you need to go from matt to full oil-shine in under 60 secconds. It's not as easy as you'd think!

What hair style do you currently sport? This will determine whether you are a "giver" or a "taker" when in the showers, after your hard, sweaty, manly, sauna with the other PTIs :)

I put in last night for one in Feb.... Oh well, better start working on the tan.

If your running sub 9's you'll be fine..... My main drama press-ups... errrrr HATE THEM!

Mongoose said:
Don't forget to practice your treading water.
And hope that they don't put a mirror at the bottom of the pool! I can see lots of dead pot PTI's after drowning whilst admiring their "perfect V shaped bodies" :)

What are regarded as 'acceptable' standards in the fitness tests on the course? Is it enough to pass them, or do you need to, e.g., do the 1 1/2 mile run in 30 secs less than the minimum time, to avoid getting binned at any excuse?

When I did my course in 1989 I was banging BFT's in 8 and a half minutes and ICFT's in 1hr 05mins, I was physically fit but my upper body needed strengthening, I was told that my running ability saved me from the boot. It's also mental, you've got to psyche yourself up to better yourself at every event, every gym session and learn how the human body works (muscle groups etc). Apart from that it's quite relaxed, they are looking for motivated personnel, so have a bit of confidence about you.

Pork_Pie said:
What are regarded as 'acceptable' standards in the fitness tests on the course? Is it enough to pass them, or do you need to, e.g., do the 1 1/2 mile run in 30 secs less than the minimum time, to avoid getting binned at any excuse?
I was informed by our unit PTI to aim for 9.30 on the run, this was due to the fact that its run on a running track (this was for the pre-pti course) and that confuses people so they generally get slower times..

Mongoose said:
I was informed by our unit PTI to aim for 9.30 on the run, this was due to the fact that its run on a running track (this was for the pre-pti course) and that confuses people so they generally get slower times..
Surely that would make it easier because you know where the end is? :?

The hardest runs to judge are when you get a "head that way and you'll find some PTIs to point you in the right direction".

brettarider said:
Don't forget your subscription to Men's Health and muscle mag so you can get the pictures for pin ups in the PTI office
I typed Mens Health into Google at work yesterday as I've just signed up for PTI cse and it came up blocked due to nudity!!!!!

Mongoose said:
Pork_Pie said:
So 9 1/2 mins is ok? What about the sit ups & press ups, what is regarded as acceptable for them? Thanks.

I was meant to be on this course in November, but unfortunately the bid put forward by my SPSI didnt go through so I shall likely have to wait untill january.

I have tried to get as much info on this course as I can, and most of what I've seen says the initial TA PTI basic course is 12 days at Fox lines in Aldershot, the course I was meant to be on next month was over 3 weekends and was down on my Ji's as PTI basic modules, aren't those three weekends meant to be done after the 12 days in Aldershot? I mean to bring this up with my SPSI but dont want to look like a mong so any knowledge shared on the matter would be appreciated.

Lincs10 said:
I was meant to be on this course in November, but unfortunately the bid put forward by my SPSI didnt go through so I shall likely have to wait untill january.

I have tried to get as much info on this course as I can, and most of what I've seen says the initial TA PTI basic course is 12 days at Fox lines in Aldershot, the course I was meant to be on next month was over 3 weekends and was down on my Ji's as PTI basic modules, aren't those three weekends meant to be done after the 12 days in Aldershot? I mean to bring this up with my SPSI but dont want to look like a mong so any knowledge shared on the matter would be appreciated.
As of Oct this year i believe the course "goes on the road" for 12 months? Still administered from Fox lines though.

The official cse title is TA PTI (Basic), so modules could be the add ons?

We have a guy on it at the moment and I'm waiting to here how he got on.... (must have done ok as he's not been RTU'd)

There are a couple of people on here that know me, but I bet that they are

not aware that I too, was a PTI in 1958.

I was sent from Iserlohn to, I think, Sennelager, and did a 3 month

course which I passed easily.

Running, ropework, pressups, situps and swimming were taken as a given

in those far off days, otherwise you weren't accepted for the course.

If I remember correctly, a lot of what we learnt was gymnastics,

vaulting horses etc. I only did it for a few months before I got

posted and had pretty much put it right to the back of my mind.....

but I recently found the course photo.

Not really relevant to the thread, but I thought that I would throw a

bob's worth in. :) :)

Got back from my course today.
I found that half the people on the course are really up for it and keen, and half are only on the course because their units pushed them into it.
All you have to remember is to eat loads while there.
Times on my course ranged from about 8 and a half to 10 and a half minutes. Aslong as you aren't fat jebend and you're confident and switched on, you'll have no problems. It is hard to keep going day after day, but if you can get through the first week with no injuries, the second week flys by. When I was actually there doing the course, I felt as though it was the worst course I've done, but now I'm at home, looking back, it was awesome. The main thing is not to worry, I think the course's bark is worse than it's bite (as so to speak). It would be well worth nerding up on anatomy and physiology, how the cardio vascular and respiratory systems work and going to circuit sessions, in preperation for it, but apart from that all you can do now is run, run and run until the course, and you should breeze it. Good luck buddy.

StabTiffy2B said:
Mongoose said:
Surely that would make it easier because you know where the end is? :?

The hardest runs to judge are when you get a "head that way and you'll find some PTIs to point you in the right direction".
I dunno, I'd find running round in a circle quite strange (especially not having done it since school)

For the PTI Basic course, you will need to do the PFT in the same standards as a male 29 and under, i.e 10mins 30 for run, 44 press ups and 50 sit ups. Intermdeiate course take off 30 secs (10.00 mins) and Advanced is 9.30.
I did my run on the track, which believe it or not was a nightmare! I ran about 30 secs slower that what I normally do!
If the syllabus is the same, you will do the PFT on the morning of the first day and the Military Swim Test that afternoon. Followed by the CFT the next day. On my course (Aug 2006) we did the full 8 miles. I have heard recently some guys have done 6 + 2. In other words the 6 miles as outlined by MATT2, then a further two straight off to make the full eight. (So essentially they did an eight mile CFT!)
Best advice is to get as fit as possible, with muscular endurance stuff for the upper body. You will get hammered by rotations between back to back circuit training, obs course training and endurance training, with some anatomy and physiology (a & p) thrown in to keep you awake!
Get hold of a good book on muscular and skeletal systems to give you a head start, and try and find some gen about the theory of Physical training.
If you're reasonably fit you will absolutely love this course, if not, you'll struggle!
Enjoy it.