Advice for external portable hard drives please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by mysteron, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Fellow Arrsers,

I cry for help here. I am looking at getting a portable external hard drive that I can take with my laptop as I travel about the land.

I basically want to be able to hold all my desktop PC files and my 50Gb of ITunes music so that I can entertain myself (that also includes the Frankie, if you know what I mean) whilst away from Chateau Mysteron.

About 80 - 120GB of memory should do it I guess but I really seek advice as the best value for money, reliability, speed for data transfer and don't really want to fork out more than 80 squids.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

2. You can get one from PC WORLD by MAXATOR, it has 500gb and cost £79, very good, would fit neatly into laptop bag.

3. Western Digitaldo a 120Gb one about the size of a passport and thickness of a mobile phone.

Should be about £50 a pop, we have about 8 of themat work.

You can also get 160GB 'ruggedised' for about £90

4. Man_at_MAN, have a £50 budget, is your Western Digitaldo "Engineer Proof"?

5. mysteron

Cheers chaps!!!

I was a bit wary of Western Digitalio and LaCie because they did not get good reviews on Amazon. Have you had any dramas?

Doing a bit of research on that Maxtor kit though, thanks again.

6. mysteron

7. The specs don't seem to mention the rotation speed. Many of these small footprint drives are very slow.

Is the small size essential? Otherwise I'd go for a standard 5 1/4" drive in a higher capacity and decent rotation speed. For example, if you want the drive for any sort of video editing from a camcorder you going to want 7200 rpm.

8. as to drive? but i would say look for one without external power needs as it is a pain, the addapter will take up the area of a two socket plug and add to bulk.

9. mysteron

Size is not that critical, I was unaware about the affect on rotation speed. Whilst I am not looking at editing, I would keep a few movie files to watch..........ahem!! ;)

That being said, I would like to be able to stuff it into my laptop bag whilst away. Thoughts?

10. They're probably bog standard Hitachi laptop drives (not a bad manufacturer all in all - they took over IBM's hard drive making operations some years ago) in an enclosure, from the look of them. Ebuyer do various better-known makes for cheaper, if that makes any odds. Given the choices, go for something with a larger cache.

Hope this helps.

11. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I travel a lot and I would reccomend getting a 2.5" 'laptop' drive and then fitting it into a USB powered case. Its more compact than the bigger drives, although capacity is a bit less and costs a little bit more.

But crucially, you can power it off the USB ports on your laptop to save lugging another power brick around with you. Some firewire drives also offer this facility but most laptops only come with a miniature firwire (4 pin) that doesnt have bus power so be careful with these. You might also be able to get one that doesnt involve fitting the drive into the case yourself but it is only a case of doin a few screws and clippin the cable in place

12. mysteron

Is a spindle speed of 5400 rpm good enough?

13. For what you've said - and with at least an 8MB cache - it should do the job nicely. Bear in mind that the faster the drive (given that it'll be bus-powered), the greater the power drain on your laptop, and the hotter the drive may get; the larger cache means that less power is expended on actually moving the drive platters round, as more of your data is pre-fetched. Last I looked, there were 7200RPM laptop drives out there; I don't know if anyone's bothered to put them into enclosures yet, though.

14. With the LaCie one never heard anything negative from the people that use them, was a lastminute.com replacement sent out to Africa after their normally good drive went belly up.

Since then they've been back on several trips with the LaCie drive and although they visit some complete poo holes both drives are doing well.

Will probably get one myself soon as the 80GB Freecom drive I have has broken three times (always due to the fragile USB connection on the drive) and I've had enough!