advice for an Ex ATC cadet hoping to become an ACF AI

Guys, I've been with the ATC for 6 years as a cadet, achived the rank of flight sergeant, I've moved to a new city for Uni and hope to join my local ACF detachment. I'm meeting the local Coy Commander tomorrow night to chat a few things over - not entirely sure what that'd entail, any ideas?

I'm eager to get back into uniform and start helping cadets out again, hence my reason for choosing the ACF over the ATC, I'd have to wait until i'm 21 (I'm 19)

I've read up on the training process and I'm keen to crack on as soon as possible. Any adivce as to which path i should follow, AI or Officer?

And how much of a problem will it be that i'm a student, i.e. having to move 230 miles away three times a year to go home.

Any advice welcome.

cheers

Most new instructors to the ACF will start off as Civilian Instructors until their CRB check and references are through and validated. After that you'll most likely be given the nod for uniform, where you'll hold the rank of Potential Instructor. You'll have to attend a few courses before you'll be promoted to Sergeant Instructor. Once you're an SI, there are more courses which allow movement up the rank structure.

Most Counties don't allow you to go straight in as an Officer so they can get to know you and see if you're Officer material. There'll be people here who'll be able to fill you in in more detail on that branch of the ACF.

For me, being a student, it didn't pose much of a problem; just make sure you get your assignments done before their deadlines, especially if you have a training weekend or two coming up. I'm 150 miles from my 'home', but that made no difference either; most Counties are in desperate need of AIs.

Mine took six months to come through, but do expect longer as there were CIs with me who were still waiting for theirs, who joined the same time I did, when I got mine through.

Depends on your county; CIs were I am may wear S95 trousers with coy t-shirt, working belt, combat boots and a warm jacket/pullover. Best to check with your Coy CO.

woopert said:
If you're at University why aren't you applying to join the OTC?
I imagine i'm going to get asked that tonight woopert, I did apply for the OTC (and UAS for that matter) in October, i passed the initial interview and my name was put into a hat to be selected by a sort of lottery. but owing to the high number of aplicants i wasn't successful.

I'm rather excited for tonight now, I'll let you all know how it goes!

anymore advice, warnings or pearly words of wisdom at this stage would be good!

Ethers said:
woopert said:
If you're at University why aren't you applying to join the OTC?
I imagine i'm going to get asked that tonight woopert, I did apply for the OTC (and UAS for that matter) in October, i passed the initial interview and my name was put into a hat to be selected by a sort of lottery. but owing to the high number of aplicants i wasn't successful.

I'm rather excited for tonight now, I'll let you all know how it goes!

anymore advice, warnings or pearly words of wisdom at this stage would be good!
eeeermm... normal selection procedure for all OTCs:

1. Initial presentation evening with brief PULHEEMS medical, filling in forms, measured up for kit to save time later on if successful, interview, bar avec copius beers with joining instruction in your mits for:

2. Selection weekend that runs in the same way as a mini-AOSB;

3. Successful applicants attested on Sun afternoon, unsuccessful applicants whisked off on early bus while every one else breaks camp and does admin. Successful aplicants put on payroll and paid for selection w/end.

Methinks you biffed because you tried joining two units and both rejected you because either one will be looking for a commitment that appears lacking. My advice is get down the the local TA unit join up for a year then apply to transfer to OTC in 2nd year.

semper said:
the ACF is an equally worthwhile organisation, in spite of the biffs, which you will get anywhere.
It would be worthwhile if he were a good few years older and had done some time in the Army to pass on the benefit of some real experience. He could then talk from first hand about weapons, tactics, skill at arms, and life in the mob rather than pretending to be an authority based on nothing more than what he had heard. I said based on nothing more than he had HEARD!

At his age, and in Uni, there should be no reason to want to join as an AI when the TA and, more pertinently, the OTC are avialable to him.

The_Duke

LE
semper said:
the ACF is an equally worthwhile organisation, in spite of the biffs like me- you know, the medically unsuitable for service never served a day bluffers who still swagger around telling the young kids how to be a soldier, which you will get anywhere.

you will learn (and earn) far more at uni out of the TA or the OTC (even if you have to wait a year to reapply) than you will in the ACF, when you graduate the join the ACF who will get more out of the experience you bring them.

Trotsky

woopert said:
semper said:
the ACF is an equally worthwhile organisation, in spite of the biffs, which you will get anywhere.
It would be worthwhile if he were a good few years older and had done some time in the Army to pass on the benefit of some real experience. He could then talk from first hand about weapons, tactics, skill at arms, and life in the mob rather than pretending to be an authority based on nothing more than what he had heard. I said based on nothing more than he had HEARD!

At his age, and in Uni, there should be no reason to want to join as an AI when the TA and, more pertinently, the OTC are avialable to him.
In OTC they can only participate if they are in University when they leave University they cannot participate in the OTC, I think they can only go on for another 6 months after that, It also depends what you are after military knowledge for Regular service or Cadet service for the long term, not all OTCs do go on to join the Army/TA, for some its a paid drinking club.

In University he will have plenty of time during the Summer break to try both and decide which route he wants to go down.

The ACF do teach you what you need to know, full Army/TA type training will not be applicable mostly to the ACF as these little darlings are not exactly robust and their Parents can sue you even if the Cadets have been silly enough to follow instruction to do activities that causes them to injure themselves, you can only go so far as the APC and Childrens act allows you to do.

ATC has a slightly different syllabus for the ACF

Thats all I have go to say on this subject.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly

I am dissapointed that as a Moderator you feel the need to attack my disability not just the Argument, if you want to go down to the gutter level, then that says a lot about your character, would you do the same in real life to disabled people ?, thats charm of the internet is that you can say and do things without being identified and get away with it.

I of course would be pleased if you were to apolgise for insulting my disability instead of focusing on the argument at hand, but I don't expect any from you.

Do you honestly think you and others by insulting me and making sexual insinuation will get yours and their points across and also drive me from this site crying ? then you are dealing with the wrong guy.

lets hope that you and others do not suffer some disability, it would be an act of Karma and irony, I believe loss of hearing is the worst ones.

This site has goe downhill in the last 2 years, in the quality of posting and subject, there some good ones but not many it seems, it certainly was nothing like when it first started.

The_Duke

LE
Do you not think that perhaps people on here have just got fed up with your sanctimonious self serving drivel, and decided to hound you for it?

You are right it has gone downhill - The Army Rumour Service has become Cadets-R-uz and "how long do I have to run 1.5 miles" Service.

Mind you, at least most of those asking the PFT question will at least go to a selection centre and give it a go.

B

Biscuits_AB

semper said:
woopert said:
semper said:

In OTC they can only participate if they are in University when they leave University they cannot participate in the OTC, I think they can only go on for another 6 months after that, It also depends what you are after military knowledge for Regular service or Cadet service for the long term, not all OTCs do go on to join the Army/TA, for some its a paid drinking club.

In University he will have plenty of time during the Summer break to try both and decide which route he wants to go down.

The ACF do teach you what you need to know, full Army/TA type training will not be applicable mostly to the ACF as these little darlings are not exactly robust and their Parents can sue you even if the Cadets have been silly enough to follow instruction to do activities that causes them to injure themselves, you can only go so far as the APC and Childrens act allows you to do.

ATC has a slightly different syllabus for the ACF

Thats all I have go to say on this subject.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly

I am dissapointed that as a Moderator you feel the need to attack my disability not just the Argument, if you want to go down to the gutter level, then that says a lot about your character, would you do the same in real life to disabled people ?, thats charm of the internet is that you can say and do things without being identified and get away with it.

I of course would be pleased if you were to apolgise for insulting my disability instead of focusing on the argument at hand, but I don't expect any from you.

Do you honestly think you and others by insulting me and making sexual insinuation will get yours and their points across and also drive me from this site crying ? then you are dealing with the wrong guy.

lets hope that you and others do not suffer some disability, it would be an act of Karma and irony, I believe loss of hearing is the worst ones.

This site has goe downhill in the last 2 years, in the quality of posting and subject, there some good ones but not many it seems, it certainly was nothing like when it first started.

Yet, when one of the wind-up merchants told you that I was crippled in Iraq, you felt quite the chap referring to me as a 'spaz'? It's c*nts like you who haven't served a f*cking day in your miserable little lives who have ruined this site. You're one of life's w8nkers mate.

Why do you think that people take the p*ss out of you? I'll give you a hint.....it's not because you're deaf or that you're a postie or even that your wife has done a runner.

Now, if you don't like it here, don't let the door catch your arrse on the way out.

Latest Threads