Advice for a PO in the RAC...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by MaraudingMaunderer, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my first post so please go easy on me!!

I am very keen on the idea of joining the RAC in either a formation Recce or Main Battle Tank role but I have been thrown a little about some of the stories (whether real or not) about the type of officers in the RAC and if I would get on with them.

My main concern is that I am not from a privileged background and that I don’t hunt/shoot/fish.

Can anyone let me know if I am just being an idiot about this or if you still need to come from a "good" school, have a "known" family and money to have a good time in the RAC?

Thank you!

2. Search the forum, read the many times this question has been asked before, visit regiments, form opinion for yourself, job done.

3. Not exactly helpful... but thanks for your time...

4. Mmmm

I am immediately suspicious of your suitability for the RAC from your self appointed title as a maunderer. The last thing soldiers in the RAC need right now are maunderers in charge of them.

Other than that...what Snoreador said.

5. Being slightly less flippant (but please, do search as it's been asked loads): The problem is that the answer to your question is a very individual one. What one person interprets as inclusive and welcoming, another interprets as self-selecting and socially exclusive. However, from my (limited) experience of visiting a few armoured regiments (and I went in with no preconceptions as stereotypes can often be very wrong) is that they are after decent people who can lead soldiers. Background / school / whatever are pretty much irrelevant.

BUT, and this is a big but, each regiment has its own character, and I can well believe that these things do become self selecting towards a certain type of person. Whether that 'type' is more likely to exist as a product of a certain educational background, upbringing, or whatever, is a question for sociologists to answer.

The best advice I can give is to leave your preconceptions at the door, remove any chips from your shoulders, visit some regiments and see for yourself. You'll soon work out if you think you'll get on well somewhere, and meet some great people along the way.

6. Thanks for that and I have had a look at other post on the subject, I guess its just a case of suck it and see.

7. You will most certainly fit in well with the RAC then

8. I knew when I had hit 'post' that comment would come back to haunt me...

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Practising for your first Board of Inquiry I see :)

10. I did wonder about posting such a comment myself; I see that some of Arrse's finest did the deed. So to speak...