Advice - Food Poisoning

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by VerminWA, Nov 29, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am at present layed up in bed with food poisoning, thanks to ASK in Chichester! I am unable to drink anything as it comes out the other end like jet within 4 minutes, yes I timed it! Obviously I am severly dehydrated now, can anyone advice on a treatment? I have tried imodium but I think it went down the pan with the rest of the contents of my digestive system!
  2. Don't use imodium as you need to purge the poison from your system not keep it in.

Keep trying to drink and if you cannot then seriously consider calling out the duty medic and doc (This comes from direct personal experience and decent medical advice - nothing better than projectile from both ends simultaneously)
  3. You sure? I rather thought that sex would be right up there!

Thanks though!
  4. How about Dioralyte (speeling)?

Good at rehydrating broken recruits on CFTs
  5. the best thing for food poisoning - get some meat (pork or chicken is best), cook it partially then leave it out in the sun for a couple of days and then warm slightly in a microwave befor eating with raw eggs and sour milk! That's the best advice I can give you on contracting food poisoning..
    Glad to be of help...
  6. I used to live in Chichester...never went to ASK though! good thing too!

try the drinking the water little sips tho, not gulps. if you can try a little lucozade... something to replace some salts & electrolytes in your blood.
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Dehydration is a loss of body salts and fluid at the same time.

If you are going to use a rehydration solution you must still keep sipping fluids steadily as the electrolyte effect of the rehydration solution can mask the low fluid aspect of dehydration.

Get a bottle of cola (non diet obviously) and shake all the fizz out of it.

Drink it steadily in sips and keep at it.

It provides sugar and fluid plus a little caffeine to pep you up.

Once you can eat then a little rice is usually easy to keep down and is spectacular if it drops our of your hoop after only 20 minutes. You can't beat salmonella in Indonesia for getting food through your system in less time than an episode of The Simpsons.
  8. I'm sure that if you dig right to the bottom of your bergan, you'll find a sachet or two of screech. Just the job surely? :wink:
  9. That't the job. A complete fix-all (also recommended for hangovers and CFTs). Put some in a small bottle of water and sip it like it is going out of fashion. Make sure you shake that bottle though as you can end up with all the good stuff collecting in the bottom and swallowing it in one go- tastes nasty :mrgreen: !

Sounds like your body is still trying to get the stuff out, so rest out and try not to do any exercise to preserve the remaining moisture in your system.

Last resort if you start to feel faint is to get yourself to the med centre so someone can stick some saline in your arm. :evil:
  10. If your still doing projectile diarrhoea, then I suggest going sick to your MO or GP, or if it is late then possibly A&E. Dehydration will hit you fast and when it does you won't be able to do much to help yourself!

Go sick ASAP.....I speak from experience :oops:
  11. >You can't beat salmonella in Indonesia

Yep, been there done that.

Having a chilli laden meal just prior to developing is not to be reccomended. I remember having to squat in the bath spraying cold water onto my ring trying to relieve the pain...
  12. you sure that wasn't sore from ataking it up the hoop?
  13. PMSL (now that I can)

Well thanks for all the advice, I'm now farting with confidence.

And for all you guys who said pop down to the Med Centre (I'm a STAB and at the mercy of the NHS) you don't know how lucky you are to have that facility!
  14. If you have been poisened from a public eating facility is there not a public health issue here? Not sure what ASK is but if you are sure it is them at the route of your gut rot you should report it to the environmental health types.

Get well soon.
  15. Last year i had a dose of what I thought was food poisoning from a dodgy lamb burger at a 5 star hotel in Marakesh (La Mamunia, work paid!). Got home and suffered for days with projectile vomiting and bum squirts. Eventually went to doctor who diagnosed severe viral gastro enteritis (sp?) which was sorted out in 12 hours with anti biotics. It would have got worse had i continued to treat it with immodium etc.
    Go to the quacks always with anything like this.

May you continue to fart with confidence.....its a good feeling init?