advice about joining the TA - slightly nervous female!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by thinkerbell, Jul 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am just after some advice about joining the TA. I hope this is the right place to post!

Firstly I am a 26 year old female and for many years I have thought about joining the TA. I have been 'put off' for a few years as my ex was in the regular army and always use to laugh at me when I said I wanted to join the TA. He said I was too girly and would never survive! But after much thought I have decided to give it ago.

I have done a lot of reading and I am hoping to go into my local army office this week to start the process, the problem is I feel incredibly nervous about it all.
    I was hoping to find out what other people's experience of the process was, especially from any females who may have felt the same.

I guess I sort of feel worried that I may not be good enough or any use to the TA. I am not concerned about my fitness as I exercise most days and I am currently training for a half marathon. I have a science degree but it doesn’t give me any state registration so I'm not sure exactly what I can offer?!

Any help or advice would be fab! I think I'm worrying about it all too much xx
  2. How about something in Medical?
  3. I work in your local recruiting office, post up a picture so I will recognise you when you come in.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. Go and have a look.

If you think you'll enjoy it, keep turning up,

If you don't like it, don't turn up again, nothing lost.
  5. Just go and do it, thinkerbell. It's like almost anything in life, you have to give it a go before you can decide whether or not you want to continue.
  6. Rather than calling into the Army Careers Office you could just call into your local TA centre. Most have staff that are there during the week.
  7. State registration ?
  8. Or give em a bell and ask if you can drop in.
  9. The Royal Signals units in Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham are currently recruiting operators.
  10. your science background might make you attractive to 531 Ammunition Technical Support Squadron, RLC.
    Its really interesting stuff, I'm going through the trade training now.
    Pm arrseonist or he117 for more info.
    You'll be treated more like a grown up too.
  11. The TA will soon tell you if they think you are of no use.

With a Science Degree (please dont tell me it is in Social Sciences!!) then you are more likely to of be of use in a technical role.

The only person holding yoou back is yourself. Get along, see whats what, look at the options open to you, then make an informed decission rather than one based on hearsay from your ex and us idiots on here.

Also, go onto the Army website and go into the "Role Finder" section and fill in the details. It will give you suggestions of what roles you should be looking at with your qualifications and experiences.

Good luck with your application and career...and post naked photos!

PS..ignore my spelling...I was Infantry!
  12. Don't worry about your qualifications, just look for something that you will enjoy. It doesn't have to be related to what you do during the working week.

I had a Computer Science degree, a full-time job as a software engineer, and I joined the TA infantry (and will vouch for the fact that I've never been so intellectually stretched as when trying to solve complicated time and distance and resources problems in my head, in a hurry, while under physical and mental stress...).
  13. Thanks for all the replies! I will get those photos up asap, naked of course! ;-P

I am pleased to say my degree isn't in social sciences, that's not a science! I studied micro/biochem and I currently work in a hospital but I do not hold state registration (with the hpa) so therefore I cannot work as a biomedical scientist.

I would love to do something medical based but I am open to ideas! I'm going to visit the army office tomorrow and I've tracked down my local TA centre but I'm sure I've only ever seen young kids go in there! lol

Thanks for all the advice!
  14. Where about's is your local TA center?
    I'm just starting my Phase 1 Training.

It's good fun.
  15. Portsmouth is local to me. What's the training like?