Advice about joining the R.E.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Strider42, May 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm 15 and I want to join the Royal Engineers next year after finishing my GCSE's. I have been looking through the Army website and would like to join 23rd Engineer Regiment / 16 Air Assault Brigade after my combat engineering and trade training, but I dont know what trade would be best suited for this role :? I would prefer not to be workshop based.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Luke Alford

Posting from my dad's account
  2. you will not need to be trade specific to get posted there young fella BUT obviously sparky is the way forward.

the best way to get to that regt is to show willingness to throw yourself out of a perfectly serrviceable aeroplane. 9 para sqn & 51 air assault (now has a para element) are both based there.

any more info you want just ask.

3. Thanks for that. Electrician or Comms has been the most commmon advice I've had.

I've always wanted to do a parachute jump, though my dad has friends who are ex 9 Para and 264 Sig Sqd and I've had the full run down from them on how tough P Company will be, and how scary the first jumps are... So it's time to start getting fit and jumping off high walls :wink:

I have to wait until December before I can start the application process :( Can't wait, I just want to join now.

Thanks again.

4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

A few web links if you haven't found them:

You should try and get on a familiarisation visit etc.

Before you do too much jumping off high walls... don't forget that you will have to go through your Phase 1 (basic military) and Phase 2 (combat engineer) training first, and then volunteer to serve with 23 Engr Regt. There will be plenty of time to focus your fitness for P Coy, so at the moment just stay with all round CV work, and upper body. What you certainly must NOT do at your age is to run with weight on your back, or in Army boots. You may get fit, but when you are 40 your knees will start to tell you it was not a good idea. Believe me - I know!!
  5. If I were you I wouldn't listen to too many stories from people, you need to find these things out yourself. One mans poison is another mans food! Crack on with school get the best grades possible and then think what trade you would like to do!! Stick with RE best Corps in the Army!!
  6. and me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  7. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

What do you think about going to AFC Harrogate first and then going into Phase 2? Is it a long way around, or are there real benefits of having that year?

I'll be 16 in April 07.
  8. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I would be interested to see if anyone on the site comes back with direct experience of this route. I would think though that if you are already into your GCSEs, stick with them and get the best grades possible. Then decide either to go on to do A levels before joining, or join at that point.

Are you in the ACF?
  9. good call, never give up on your education you will need an education LONG after the forces have forgotten who you ever where.
  10. Ahem, sadly im also in that bracket :cry:

But any how all the carreer offices will tell you c3 systems is the way to go (signallers, c3 bloody systems)
    But if you want a trade think long and hard as to what will be helpfull when you finish ie NO signaller will be employed on a bulding site whereas chippies,sparkies and brickies will there is also a massive amount of other trades and if you want you can allways apply to be a signaller after your trade course so dont leap in and take time to consider your options.
  11. And me, also the back is a bit dodgy these days as well, it doesn't help having to carry this belly around with me though.

12. my back too but that is mainly from carrying HEART STOPPER :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. I would reconsider your intentions. Being a sapper is hard routine and you get treated like dirt at depot. You'll be expected to do actual combat stuff, be strong, hard-working and professional - shortfalls in equipment or resources have to be overcome by something I hear is called "initiative".

Join the REME, I say! Your every whim will be catered to by your senior ranks, the box-bodies are air conditioned and have electrical sockets and sinks. At Arborfield, instead of inspections, the ASM knocks on the door of your (single occupancy) room and delivers your newspaper. He also asks politely if the selection of satellite TV is to your liking.

Yes, there are duties, but at Minley or Chatham they can involve being beasted by hairy arsed Sapper SNCOs with moustaches and para smocks. No such thing in REME! A duty at the School of Electronics (or whatever it's called now Aeronautical etc etc) involves making sure the queue at the cash point doesn't get too unruly, and checking the length of skirts on the girl apprentices before they go out the gate.

Even if you are interested in making a hard life even harder by volunteering for parachute - REME can make that a mince too! Whilst the other trades are living like Neanderthals- putting up "bivvies" and digging shell scrapes, join the party with the Tels Techs - in the old 10 Airborne Wksp, there were "push-button opening" tents. Can't let those electronics get wet, you know!

In terms of Army Engineering, a REME career is like being a Gentlman of the Empire, being gently given a rickshaw ride through the cobbled streets of one of the colonial beach resorts whilst natives pander to your every wish. Being in the RE is more like being one of the blokes on those ancient ships with loads of oars and the guy beating the drum to make you row in time.
  14. feck off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ..............REME = (Royal Engineers Made Easy OR Royal Engineers Minus Education)

stick true to the only Corps that counts...........................Royal Engineers........................Hurrah. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  15. what does REME stand for?

i'ts probabally obvious...but i can't be botherd to look elsewhere to find out