Adverts and not just the annoying ones

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by ugly, Apr 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not sure really how I should raise this but since arse went down the road of scrolling adverts on each page my machine takes sodding ages to open fully each page I want to view. The little scroll down function doesnt appear in most cases until the sodding ad has finished playing around. Is there any way I can access pages without the ads?
    I know why they are there its just ruining the site in my opinion by making it so damn slow, its got to the point where the blackberry is quicker and its not just my personal machine but all that I access.
    Can we have an option without the ads?
    My Blackberry doesnt show them so how can I stop my lap top from showing them?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ditto 123456789
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'll look into this as it's important that the ads don't make the site less user friendly. They *should* be independent of the main page load and we've got something wrong if that's not the case. Thanks for the heads up and I'll get back to you.

Edit: What browser are you using? A quick check in IE8 and Chrome shows the page as fully functional before the ads have finished loading.

To block ads use firefox or chrome and get an adblocker plugin from the respective add-on directories. It causes upset amongst people who run free websites including us, but since you asked, that's the answer. I would be grateful if you'd hang on until we've solved this though as there should be no need to use an adblocker on here or we've got it wrong.
  4. I find all the "moving" gifs in peoples sig blocks do the same, can they be banned?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheers it seems to be the animated ones which take ages to finish and the page won't load till it finishes, BT is a big culprit!
  6. Firefox has an addon called Adblock Plus which is a godsend, Not sure if IE has an equivalent yet though
  7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

There is an option to turn off signature blocks in your settings.
  8. Bad CO

Yup and very effective it is too. You might want to consider though how come we've managed to keep ARRSE free for the last 9.5 years and whether you think this is worth maintaining.

One option we have considered is producing an ad-free version of the site for those who were willing to pay a small monthly subscription fee (say £2.50). Would this be of interest to people?
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I would just not right now! I don't mind the ads they actually look at what you have been surfing but I have yet to see flaming goat on donkey 3 some appear yet! Its just the animated ones that take so long!
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Make it £2.50 per month for the site for everyone, £3.50 if you don't want ads.

This would stop people setting up multiple usernames to hold conversations/arguments with themselves or other fuckwits.

If you really want to make it interesting you could auction off the Mod positions! :)
  11. I wouldn't object to paying a small fee. Maybe you should hold a poll on this.
  12. Why not tie ads into donations? If you donate,say £10, on a yearly basis to the site, you get a No Ads version
  13. As much as I enjoy arrse, I wouldn't pay a monthly subscription fee for it.
  14. Bad CO

Don't worry, ARRSE will always remain free. We just thought an ad-free version might appeal to some people.