Advertising war

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ynnaD, Dec 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got these in my inbox this morning, quite amusing. They make up a series of adverts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A new low in standards of car advertisements.

The early history of both firms is well worth noting though. W O Bentley was a Captain in the Royal Naval Air Service during WWI, where he played a major role in improving the design and manufacture of Clerget engines for the Sopwith Camel and the Sopwith Snipe aircraft. Bentley Motors, founded in 1920, is now part of the Volkswagen Group.

On 16 July 1909 August Horch founded the August Horch Automobilwerke GmbH in Zwickau, Germany, after a dispute with the original firm bearing his name. In 1910, he changed the name of the new firm to Audi Automobilwerke GmbH, audi being the Latin imperative form of audire (’to hear’). This was chosen as the surname Horch is the German imperative form of horchen (also meaning ’to hear). Both audi and horch literally mean ’hear’.

3. ' ' ' just to be Geeky: I thought AUDI was an acronym. I certainly saw a vintage car in Bielefeld once, bearing the long logo:

Auto Union Deutsche Industrie (or very similar words I've misremembered)

4. August Horch Contrary to what many people think, Audi is not an abbreviation for something to do with Auto Union.
    In 1910, When August Horch quit his own company Horch and started a new one, he could no longer use his own last name as company name.
    Heinrich Fikentscher, the 10-year-old son of Horch's business partner, came up with the brilliant suggestion to translate the name Horch, a German imperative form meaning "Listen!", into Latin - "Audi".

From: http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/VW/audi_whats.html

5. Wiessbier,
    In my trawls around the ARRSE website I have come accross some right sad b'astards in my time.

But never ever before have I come across some one so sad that they could be arrsed to write the following as you did:

"On 16 July 1909 August Horch founded the August Horch Automobilwerke GmbH in Zwickau, Germany, after a dispute with the original firm bearing his name. In 1910, he changed the name of the new firm to Audi Automobilwerke GmbH, audi being the Latin imperative form of audire (’to hear’). This was chosen as the surname Horch is the German imperative form of horchen (also meaning ’to hear). Both audi and horch literally mean ’hear’."

Please avoid razors and sharp knives this Xmas and in the new year please try and get a f'ucking life.

6. SLRboy,

After you've sobered up, you might want to go outside and have a word with yourself about that last post.

Just a thought.

MsG

7. SLRboy - Weissbier is a scholar of many things including German- not sad just a damn sight better informed than the rest of us.

8. Vielen Dank to Bugsy and Mushroom for your support and it is always to educational to read your posts; a Happy Christmas to you both as well as to other users of this great website, including SLRboy.

9. Hey, alter! Nicht der Rede wert! Ansonsten; very great Crimble to you and yours and a fantastic New Year!

MsG

10. Oh the irony.... my sides hurt from laughing..

11. Oh all right,
    So my joke didn't work.

I was just jealous. Don't you just hate it when people know more about car firms than you do?.

12. That's a bit rich coming from you SLRboy.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1005463.html#1005463

I would've looked for more examples but I got bored after reading your posts to be honest. Sorry.

Wiessbier, ignore the village idiot.

13. On the advertising though it shows a complete disregard for the Bentley tradition of at least supposedly standing for complete class, that doesn't need to shout to sell itself.

I remember years ago my horror when a gorgeous French girl I knew turned up wearing a beautiful quality top but which had the words Channel embossed in the material all across the tits

Coco would have spun in her grave.
    The cut and design of Channel then was supposed to speak for itself without the need for to shout its mouth off.
    Same used to go for Bentley. But look at that ridiculous tank that they have produced.

Only people like Idi Amin could fall in love with the gigantism of that.
    No class, just ego.