Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

B2063CB8-DC9A-453C-BBAB-E5D9712B5D6C.jpeg

That's pretty much the same generator I have (mine's red & black). I live in a first floor apartment, but could put it out on the balcony if I had to, to run the microwave.

We have a Super Ser gas heater, and (too) many full 25KG cylinders. I keep falling over the damn things in the spare bedroom (we were given them for nowt a while back)

Solar phone charger is a good shout, I hadn't thought of that.

We're quite lucky where I live, I was informed we never get power cuts as we're on the same circuit as the old psychiatric hospital. They buried the electricity cables in the area to prevent blackouts during severe storms. There must be something in it as we've lived in this house for 20 years and have never suffered a single power cut ( apart from breakers tripping when a fuse/bulb blows) and that's despite many severe storms that have knocked the power out for neighbouring towns who aren't on the circuit.

I remember when it still was a nuthouse

Well acquainted with a nurse who worked there back then and she was a bit of a nut job too
Assuming I've got you location about right that is

View attachment 619911

That's pretty much the same generator I have (mine's red & black). I live in a first floor apartment, but could put it out on the balcony if I had to, to run the microwave.

We have a Super Ser gas heater, and (too) many full 25KG cylinders. I keep falling over the damn things in the spare bedroom (we were given them for nowt a while back)

Don't bother, if it gets as bad as that there won't be any phones working, charged or not.

Rules out all of Scotland does it not?

Not at all, the fried mars bars will long be gone and there won't be a bottle of bucky to be found anywhere.

I remember when it still was a nuthouse

Well acquainted with a nurse who worked there back then and she was a bit of a nut job too
Assuming I've got you location about right that is
All nuthouse nurses are without exception, nuttier than their patients.
Speaking from a lot of experience.

Troy

LE
Only in as much as if you buy a house on a flood plain it’s a surprise when it floods… clue’s in the name!
It isn't just a risk associated with flood plains. I'm speaking of those flood disasters that have made the news in the last year or two. Excessive rain causing flash floods in places that don't normally have them, for example. Here's a few: 2019–20 United Kingdom floods - Wikipedia

I haven't experienced floods myself though, just thinking about others...

You know even living in a rural area of the UK, and I mean no disrespect here, in a real SHTF scenario with everything from power to water going down, the last place I'd want to be is in the UK.

It's not a huge place and with a population of over 67 million people, good manners and stiff upper lips will be the first casualties. Saying that I'd hate to live in any city in the world when the SHTF.

Most people in the UK are unable to walk long distances. Factor in the inevitable D&V outbreaks, debilitating effects of bad weather, blisters, hunger, sudden unavailability of vital meds, criminal predation etc. There are unlikely to be many plagues of human locusts scouring the countryside on foot.

If the SHTF, any immediate mass exodus of people from the cities would depend on vehicles. I could see country people systematically blocking roads as far from their homes as they can. By blocking roads, I mean felling hundreds of trees with chainsaws, anybody with a JCB cratering roads, stone bridges demolished, trailer loads of soil or rocks dumped at motorway turnoffs etc. Gun owners might be watching some of those obstacles from the bushes.

Everybody who filled the family car with camping gear and had a vague notion of driving to Scotland, or to 'the country' could be in for a real shock. The foxes and crows and packs of stray dogs would do well though.

The population of 67 million might be reduced to medieval levels in short order.

Most people in the UK are unable to walk long distances. Factor in the inevitable D&V outbreaks, debilitating effects of bad weather, blisters, hunger, sudden unavailability of vital meds, criminal predation etc. There are unlikely to be many plagues of human locusts scouring the countryside on foot.

If the SHTF, any immediate mass exodus of people from the cities would depend on vehicles. I could see country people systematically blocking roads as far from their homes as they can. By blocking roads, I mean felling hundreds of trees with chainsaws, anybody with a JCB cratering roads, stone bridges demolished, trailer loads of soil or rocks dumped at motorway turnoffs etc. Gun owners might be watching watching some of those obstacles from the bushes.

Everybody who filled the family car with camping gear and had a vague notion of driving to Scotland, or to 'the country' could be in for a real shock. The foxes and crows and packs of stray dogs would do well though.

Either way...it's not going to be pretty.

Either way...it's not going to be pretty.

When I was a feral squaddy, I wanted something like that to happen.

These days, I don't. The scenarios are still fascinating though.

View attachment 619911

Solar trickle-charger for a car battery seems to be a decent idea.
PowerMonkey was a powerbank charged by solar - slow but at least you had a battery charged for whatever, some had LED torches.
I bought them cheap in tkmaxx, dunno if i'd've paid retail

That little IKEA stove works a treat. I've tried it and could easily boil enough water for a brew in fairly short order. I've also made and tested the ammo box grill and that also works a treat. Ammo boxes would probably become currency if there was a societal breakdown.

I'd expect cannibalism to play a part; I don't like to even think it, but I can't really see it being avoided.

It was a standard occurrence during historical famines and has happened in the British Isles in the past.

Diogenes' limp

War Hero
A well found and equipped sail cruising yacht has inbuilt life support system, self sufficiency and the ability to get
away to remote places. Just because that's exactly what it was designed to do.

I never carry less than a months worth of iron rations, though that's just out of habit during Covid.
Must admit going back to paper charts would be a bit nostalgic, but eminently doable.

Covid exposed the lack of mental resilience we have as a nation. Sat on sofa watching Jeremy Kyle on 80% of wages was apparently as traumatic as storming Omaha beach.

You know even living in a rural area of the UK, and I mean no disrespect here, in a real SHTF scenario with everything from power to water going down, the last place I'd want to be is in the UK.

It's not a huge place and with a population of over 67 million people, good manners and stiff upper lips will be the first casualties. Saying that I'd hate to live in any city in the world when the SHTF.
I`d head for somewhere remote in Porridgewoglandia if possible , otherwise if I stayed local which is rural I have enough hardware to keep zombies and raiding mobs at bay for quite a while.

During the last big financial hiccup back in 2008'ish the Mrs came home from her upstairs, corner office in Banking Plc. and told me that the traders were totally flumoxed and might not be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat. If a banking collapse had happened we might have been transported in time back to 1890, or therabouts.

I had read the speech given in Parliament which basically outlined a collapse of society in 5 days if things stopped moving. And, ladies and gentlemen that would have happened if the banks stopped processing your credit card transactions, and putting boxes of money into the hole in the wall machines.

I was on the county emergency/disaster team for a couple of years and was privy to lectures and other bibs and bobs that took over from the old Civil Defence structure. The shrinks tell us that in moments of true SHTF we would seek places we felt safe and comfortable in. Those places are where we go on holiday, and in the UK it means Wales, Cornwall, and Jockistan would be over run with the population of the UK all fighting for a mobile home, or holiday cottage. Carnage would ensue on roads to those destinations, it would only take one accident blocking the road, no more pizza slices at a service station, or no petrol at the pump to bring out the best of peoples underlying, dormant animal.

As for basic supplies: go back to the 5 days theory. Couldn't happen? You'd be surprised. The UK's field to table logistics pipeline has 5 days worth of food, bog roll, and Haribos in it. Once there is no more money flowing trucks will stop, stuff will not be delivered and 5 days later; if you ain't got it, you will not have it for a very long time.

Burn a tree for warmth and to cook. Yeah, right. How many vast expansive, far as the eye can see forests are there in the UK? One bad winter and there will be no trees left standing, people will be ripping floor boards up to burn to stay warm.

Sitting back in 2008 and considering all these things, looking around at what could be done to survive in the UK was one of the reasons I put in for my green card for the US. Stiff upper lip, and the British way, no chance, when the chips are down, people go animal very quickly. The latest model for examination of behaviours when it all goes wrong was New Orleans when Katrina hit. Cops buggered off, nurses buggered off and abandoned patients, people started to fight for food, and water, and there were rumours of shootings, rapes and for want of a better description pillaging. We have lots of former residents of New Orleans around Dallas, they tell stories about what happened back then and have no desire to ever return to their hometown.

Last edited:
Yep.

We have a proper cold room with meat hooks hanging from the ceilings and cold slabs of stone all over the place.

I still don’t quite understand the science behind it. It’s not really different to any of the other rooms in the house, but is always a good few degrees cooler even in summer.

Cheese. It lasts better than fresh milk, lots of protein and the odd bit of bacteria just makes it more interesting. Is it worth allowing the crust to dry a bit to protect the inside before waxing? Good barter item to trade for fuel, candles, tools and so on. Protein is high value trade goods, more so if it's storable without special treatment.

Further to previous post re rat packs and freezers full of meat, et al. GF likes pottering about in the garden so I have grenadillas/passion fruit going in round the pool, loads of chilis and the back bit will be turned into a veg patch in the near future.

Burn a tree for warmth and to cook. Yeah, right. How many vast expansive, far as the eye can see forests are there in the UK? One bad winter and there will be no trees left standing, people will be ripping floor boards up to burn to stay warm.

Well, according to the experts on the news a few weeks ago we don’t need to burn fossil fuels, and stuff like that anymore, to keep warm etc.

We can fully rely on renewable energy from wind turbines and solar panels or whatever.

The world is heating up at an alarming rate too, so we shouldn’t have to worry about being cold anymore.