Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

One of the few sensible " preppers on You Tube suggests you won't survive the apocalypse with fewer than around 30 people, or 4 or 5 extended families, and at least 40 acres: you need people to guard it 24/7, more people to plant and grow crops, more to collect timber, firewood and building materials, more to hunt, and more to prepare and cook food.
One man bands die quickly.
By that same token, the larger the settlement the easier it is to find. That must be some great land, chock full of everything. 40 acres to provide for 30 bodies seems like a stretch. Especially if you are back to old school farming and having children who can’t do much of the grunt work.

Have fun patrolling in this weather!!
E04FB787-F665-4378-8523-B41F8A507272.jpeg

Last edited:

Londo

LE
One of the few sensible " preppers on You Tube suggests you won't survive the apocalypse with fewer than around 30 people, or 4 or 5 extended families, and at least 40 acres: you need people to guard it 24/7, more people to plant and grow crops, more to collect timber, firewood and building materials, more to hunt, and more to prepare and cook food.
One man bands die quickly.
Like a smallish village of about 100 people banding together

Yokel

LE
Why is literature being discussed on a thread about survival skills and personal resilience? Whilst some of it might be inspiring, much is not, and an encyclopaedic knowledge of the works of Shakespeare will not help you deal with a bleeding leg, a broken down car, or the need to keep warm.

A first aid manual, GCSE Physics textbook, or a Haynes' guide are more useful.

Last edited:
Why is literature being discussed on a thread about survival skills and personal resilience? Whilst some of it might be inspiring, much is not, and an encyclopaedic knowledge of the works of Shakespeare will not help you deal with a bleeding leg, a broken down car, or the need to keep warm.
Literature is good for starting fires, and for lining clothing.

A first aid manual, GCSE Physics textbook, or a Haynes' guide are more useful.

You say that now, but when you're into your third year of talking to yourself, it's nice to have something intelligent to contribute to the conversation that doesn't involve wrenches, hammers and first aid for electrocution.

You say that now, but when you're into your third year of talking to yourself, it's nice to have something intelligent to contribute to the conversation that doesn't involve wrenches, hammers and first aid for electrocution.
You think you would survive that long in a true end of the world scenario?

You think you would survive that long in a true end of the world scenario?

Me? Dunno.

If it was a true "End Of World" scenario, probably not,

If it was just an "End of Civilization" kind of thing, though, .... Maybe (as long as I managed to loot a pharmacy early enough to steal my meds!).

Yokel

LE
Because literature can inspire young minds to sort their own shit out.

It can - sometimes. But I sceptical that studying traditional literature, or the Classics, is going to bring much practical benefit most of the time. How does it prepare the reader the interpret information and use logic to solve problems? As I understand it, the ancient Greeks were quite wrong about things like anatomy.

Must remember to take a ball called Wilson...

Wonderful and very prescient author, a favourite when I was young....... HG Wells.

He only had the knowledge available at the time, but I loved one of his less well- known books....... The War in the Air....... he predicted the end of "civilisation" where every goverment collapses in a war of attrition with no winners, and the world goes back to small agrarian communities.

It can - sometimes. But I sceptical that studying traditional literature, or the Classics, is going to bring much practical benefit most of the time. How does it prepare the reader the interpret information and use logic to solve problems? As I understand it, the ancient Greeks were quite wrong about things like anatomy.

I wouldn't go to The Bard for advice on how to purify a water supply, but Old Bill does give an insight into the kinds of things people start doing and thinking when the gloves are off. And that might prove more useful than a physics textbook when people start knocking around in your vicinity.

... I can't believe I said that anything was more useful than a physics textbook. 8O

My wife will have a field day with that one if she ever finds out! :eek:

GDog

War Hero
I wouldn't go to The Bard for advice on how to purify a water supply, but Old Bill does give an insight into the kinds of things people start doing and thinking when the gloves are off. And that might prove more useful than a physics textbook when people start knocking around in your vicinity.

... I can't believe I said that anything was more useful than a physics textbook. 8O

Clearly the most important thing to know after the apocalypse is how to calculate the entropy change of the universe after someone drops a block of ice into a lake from a height of 5 metres under STP conditions....

Clearly the most important thing to know after the apocalypse is how to calculate the entropy change of the universe after someone drops a block of ice into a lake from a height of 5 metres under STP conditions....
The late great Richard Feynman once said that if he could only pass on one piece of human knowledge to a future civilisation, it would be that everything is made up of atoms.

Personally a method to make non-itchy bog roll might be more appreciated.

I disagree, knowing the locations of the Mormons in the area is the most important. Followed by how to calculate the entropy change of the universe after someone drops a block of ice into a lake from a height of 5 metres under STP conditions....

Londo

LE
Is that dry ice or the normal variety ?

The late great Richard Feynman once said that if he could only pass on one piece of human knowledge to a future civilisation, it would be that everything is made up of atoms.

You know you could try to upgrade...

Yokel

LE

I would recommend reading The Prince by Machiavelli if you have to deal with any sort of organisation run by people. Perhaps a self defence book needs to be added to your survival library?

The Physics and Chemistry of fire?
Human Anatomy?
Understanding pathogens and hygiene?

I have said it on other threads, but a way of preparing for crisis (not the end of days so much) is being in the habit of doing things for yourself and having practical skills?

I would recommend reading The Prince by Machiavelli if you have to deal with any sort of organisation run by people. Perhaps a self defence book needs to be added to your survival library?

That's been in my library since I was 16! :twisted:

I had a couple of books on counter-insurgency as well; names forgotten and lost in a house move. I might need to get some recent ones.

Latest Threads