Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

lextalionis

War Hero
This has been a slow decay over the last 30 years. The less self reliant you allow the general public to become, the more reliant they are on centralised government, hence Public bodies and the government get more power.

Look at how COVID has panned out. The public have been screaming for more money to be poured into the NHS, whilst asking MPs to restrict our freedoms and doing an Orwellian applause all at the same time. Look at the state of our education system. There's a reason why it is now a far Left pile of shite that teaches far too many humanities and soft sciences and not enough subjects that are of actual use in the real world.

Resilient people = Small Government. Why would our MPs ever want that? God knows where we will be in 40 years time.
The humanities have the potential to bring you into contact with Orwell, Churchill and Quentin Crisp. All great advocates of freedom and self-reliance and also rather entertaining!

ugly

LE
Oh totally, it might well be cost effective, wood burning has been a staple for millennia after all and the new burners are clearly much more efficient than an open fireplace. But it's not reducing CO2 emissions, and triply not reducing CO2 emissions when you ship the lot of it over the Atlantic.
Indeed a labour govt sold us wood burning based on the premise that burning releases no more CO2 than leaving the woods to rot away
Reminds me of diesel cars but if your biomass is local then it’s a win

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Indeed a labour govt sold us wood burning based on the premise that burning releases no more CO2 than leaving the woods to rot away
Reminds me of diesel cars but if your biomass is local then it’s a win
I mean, yes and no. Most scientists are unclear on exactly the tradeoff between releasing CO2 from coal (that would otherwise stay in the ground) but retaining more trees (that absorb the CO2), versus releasing CO2 from trees (that would rot anyway) but losing the trees (that would absorb the CO2). But logically none of those scenarios reduce atmospheric CO2, they just might stop adding it. At best it has a pretty minimal and very long horizon CO2 impact.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
The humanities have the potential to bring you into contact with Orwell, Churchill and Quentin Crisp. All great advocates of freedom and self-reliance and also rather entertaining!
Not these days they don't. An internet connection or library card is a much cheaper, quicker and more effective method.

**** me, you “hunters” are pussies. Try hunting drop bears.

I’m my garden there’s a nest of Eastern Brown snakes. Summer, the lower deck is infested with funnel web spiders. And
down the hill there’s the ocean where a surfer saw a Great White recently.

And you’re worried about creatures that shit in the woods?

Billy Connolly Walt.

Yes, but to only focus on the humanities and ignore subjects that enable output of actual tangible value would be folly indeed. I am more than familiar with how important Orwell's work was, but have a background that allows me to do a job that I studied for. There are very few paying jobs that actually require degrees in humanities.

Since you seem like the literature type, I will refer you to a quote from Machiavelli - "A wise prince ought to adopt such a course that his citizens will always in every sort and kind of circumstance have need of the state and of him, and then he will always find them faithful.” I think that sums up my original point as to why people have a declining amount of resilience - because our rulers have a certain Machiavellian quality to them in that they value power absolutely and personal gain a close second. Just look at the way Political Parties will sacrifice absolutely anything that belongs to the people in order that they can get into (and remain in) power.

Whilst you folks eat ration packs, I will be bugging in working on the cooking game.

Turkey that has been injected with a pair of homemade marinades. Garlic sauce and butter on one side with Texas Pete on the other. Brined for 14 ish hours and coated with olive oil and seasoning, now in the air fryer.

24815ED6-3104-4BCE-8785-2B2542CDFA8F.jpeg
AABC55B4-A708-4B32-B9C4-65E95E4F10B9.jpeg
3482F1F1-BFFB-45E3-8749-E61092F179C9.jpeg

Nope, we don’t solo hunt. Always in pairs or more and whoever shoots it gets to field dress it. We will help each other drag it out. But we have eyes scanning for other deer and hunters. Those other hunters can be just as dangerous and probably more so if they have buck fever…

In this situation where we are talking about, one person would be armed with an AR style rifle. Predators also walk on two legs.

Yeah I get it mate! Like I said in a previous post I like to hunt with snow on the ground and when the bears have gone to den for the winter. Another advantage of hunting in the snow is using a sled to get a deer out, my dragging days are long gone kid, mind it does help that a good portion of the return journey back to the snowmobile is downhill.

Rest assured although I like to hunt alone, I'm always prepared in case I get stuck in say a blizzard that comes out of nowhere and wasn't on the radar, how many times have we seen that happen?

Yeah I get it mate! Like I said in a previous post I like to hunt with snow on the ground and when the bears have gone to den for the winter. Another advantage of hunting in the snow is using a sled to get a deer out, my dragging days are long gone kid, mind it does help that a good portion of the return journey back to the snowmobile is downhill.

Rest assured although I like to hunt alone, I'm always prepared in case I get stuck in say a blizzard that comes out of nowhere and wasn't on the radar, how many times have we seen that happen?

Dragging out animals sucks, but it happens 95 percent of the time.
Well I do know digging an F-350 out sucks.

lextalionis

War Hero
Yes, but to only focus on the humanities and ignore subjects that enable output of actual tangible value would be folly indeed. I am more than familiar with how important Orwell's work was, but have a background that allows me to do a job that I studied for. There are very few paying jobs that actually require degrees in humanities.

Since you seem like the literature type, I will refer you to a quote from Machiavelli - "A wise prince ought to adopt such a course that his citizens will always in every sort and kind of circumstance have need of the state and of him, and then he will always find them faithful.” I think that sums up my original point as to why people have a declining amount of resilience - because our rulers have a certain Machiavellian quality to them in that they value power absolutely and personal gain a close second. Just look at the way Political Parties will sacrifice absolutely anything that belongs to the people in order that they can get into (and remain in) power.
The classical (Roman) view was that the study of letters (ie literature) was proper only to the freeman. Churchill certainly felt it worthwhile during his "wilderness years" to dedicate himself to writing the definitive biography of the Duke of Marlborough, as well as a history of the Great War. They were both a consolation and a preparation for that great man. He also won the Nobel Prize for Literature, as it happens.

A point that needs to be made, though, is that little of this literature is ever really studied in schools. Children get an odd mixture of Shakespeare, Dickensian sentimentality and leftist propaganda (literally, when they read An Inspector Calls, by Priestley, which first showed in Stalin's Moscow). Gaining a foothold in the best that has been thought and said has to be left until university or one's own private study.

I agree with you that strong states prefer weak subjects, but Machiavelli's own thoughts and practice with regard to study are pertinent: "When evening comes, I return home and go into my study. On the threshold I strip off my muddy, sweaty, workday clothes, and put on the robes of court and palace, and in this graver dress I enter the antique courts of the ancients and am welcomed by them, and there I taste the food that alone is mine, and for which I was born. And there I make bold to speak to them and ask the motives of their actions, and they, in their humanity, reply to me. And for the space of four hours I forget the world, remember no vexation, fear poverty no more, tremble no more at death: I pass indeed into their world."

Boom, airless fryer and two hours of my life and we get to nibble on this. But it is worth it’s weight in Gold and it is propane fueled. I have three alternate methods for food preparation if needed.
33D5D7BA-B21B-4D45-8BAA-1AB895F253D0.jpeg

Bordon/hants

War Hero
I hear what you are saying mate, but is that not also the problem in the UK and as I suspect, many Western countries as well. Hence places like Greggs, the chippy, the pizza shop.

Folks in the UK were quite happily munching away on all sorts of heart clogging stuff long before the first McDonald's hit the shore.
It was also availabilty though, when I was a teen in the early 1970's .......after 5pm when the cafes closed there were just two chip shops and one Chinese in the Glos town of about 12,000 people I lived in,

These days every third shop or so is some sort of grub takeaway it seems.....You never saw people out shopping while stuffing their face either back in the day.

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Have you not watched The Phantom of Liberty - Luis Brunuel, 1974?

GDog

War Hero
Children get an odd mixture of Shakespeare, Dickensian sentimentality and leftist propaganda (literally, when they read An Inspector Calls, by Priestley, which first showed in Stalin's Moscow).
We did Shakespeare because we had to. We even watched that Romeo and Juliet film which had just been released and I remember it being the most cringeworthy bullshit I'd ever seen.

I recall reading both 1984 and Animal Farm at school and I only studied English Lit up to GCSE.

GDog

War Hero
Just realised that film was directed by Luhrmann, who was also responsible for that sunscreen atrocity that ruined the summer of 99. I still remember wincing when the school principal played it at us and bollocked on about how profound it was.

"Pass me my rapier". Give me a ******* break.

One thing I do wonder, is many people will talk about killing God’s little fluffy critters in order to survive. But how many will freeze up at the moment of truth?
Followed by how many will be able to field dress an animal and then be able to skin it and process it.

Then how long will it take us to establish hunting grounds and fight to the death over them? The Indians would fight for the lands with plentiful game, and we are no different.
One of the few sensible " preppers on You Tube suggests you won't survive the apocalypse with fewer than around 30 people, or 4 or 5 extended families, and at least 40 acres: you need people to guard it 24/7, more people to plant and grow crops, more to collect timber, firewood and building materials, more to hunt, and more to prepare and cook food.
One man bands die quickly.

Latest Threads