Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

I guessed that from the ingredients, but people eat Maccy D's without a second thought.
Difference is Maccy D’s is standardized across the board, a big mac in Canada tastes identical to one purchased in Edinburgh or LA, pemmican is the total opposite, different taste every time, it’s basically a lottery over which version tastes least like shïte. I’ve had it quite a few times over the years, mostly in northern Canada and only consumed it out of politeness, it just doesn’t taste good.

Now that's interesting, All the recent fuss from the greenies about sewer overflows. If there was no electric pumping, it would actually be better to allow free-flow to rivers.

I think that Thames Water were trying to keep the shite out of the Thames to try and let it clean itself up.

The plan was to have a massive main ring of water around London to supply water. By law water companies in the UK are only obliged to supply water to your tap, there is no stipulation as to pressure, or flow requirements........so if it dribbles out they are meeting their legal obligation. However, if it dribbled out we, as customers, would be mighty miffed. So they add in pumping station to get the pressure up so that we have a decent flow rate at out taps, and so that dwellings on high ground have some water. Turn off the power and the water will stop flowing for a multitude of reasons as a lot of water is effectively re-cycled through treatment works - which also need electric to purify the sewage they receive.

Sewage; London sort of evolved and some of the drainage structures are magnificent pieces of engineering in themselves. Multi-level masterpieces, and 3D puzzles, which they were only really able to map and understand when GIS and CAD software became available......before that they relied on the knowledge of employees who had worked the sewers their entire careers. In quite a few places the sewage does not just use gravity and run downhill, there are old Victorian pumping stations to lift the sewage after a downhill journey to start a new downhill journey - those pumps would stop. And, back to sewage treatment plants; again if there is no elastictrickery there would be now sewage processing meaning the sewage would back up..

I never studied the sewage system of London, or its physics*, but I would assume that London having sprung up around the Thames 2000 years ago all pipes would lead to the river somewhere along the line. Once the sewers stopped functioning the ever increasing waste would eventually rise, ooze up out of drains, and run down the road to the lowest point it could find.

And as a bonus the backed up sewers would drive the rats out to the surface. Nice.

Note: * I did look at early Roman plumbing and waste disposal methods in Bath, and Xanten though when I was doing my plumbing C&G. Damn clever engineers those Romans.

I think that Thames Water were trying to keep the shite out of the Thames to try and let it clean itself up.

The plan was to have a massive main ring of water around London to supply water. By law water companies in the UK are only obliged to supply water to your tap, there is no stipulation as to pressure, or flow requirements........so if it dribbles out they are meeting their legal obligation. However, if it dribbled out we, as customers, would be mighty miffed. So they add in pumping station to get the pressure up so that we have a decent flow rate at out taps, and so that dwellings on high ground have some water. Turn off the power and the water will stop flowing for a multitude of reasons as a lot of water is effectively re-cycled through treatment works - which also need electric to purify the sewage they receive.

Sewage; London sort of evolved and some of the drainage structures are magnificent pieces of engineering in themselves. Multi-level masterpieces, and 3D puzzles, which they were only really able to map and understand when GIS and CAD software became available......before that they relied on the knowledge of employees who had worked the sewers their entire careers. In quite a few places the sewage does not just use gravity and run downhill, there are old Victorian pumping stations to lift the sewage after a downhill journey to start a new downhill journey - those pumps would stop. And, back to sewage treatment plants; again if there is no elastictrickery there would be now sewage processing meaning the sewage would back up..

I never studied the sewage system of London, or its physics*, but I would assume that London having sprung up around the Thames 2000 years ago all pipes would lead to the river somewhere along the line. Once the sewers stopped functioning the ever increasing waste would eventually rise, ooze up out of drains, and run down the road to the lowest point it could find.

And as a bonus the backed up sewers would drive the rats out to the surface. Nice.

Note: * I did look at early Roman plumbing and waste disposal methods in Bath, and Xanten though when I was doing my plumbing C&G. Damn clever engineers those Romans.

Memory is fading, but I think there is a water ring main in London, completed within the last couple of decades.

Sewerage; Bazalgette was the Victorian engineer who constructed the Thames embankments which included main sewers north and south picking up all the outfalls. All the shite carried east, originally held in tanks and pumped out on the ebbing tide by beam engines.

Good point about pumping, they used to rely on gravity where possible , because it's free! Nowadays treatment works need electricity, and as you say a lot of the distribution is pumped.

Water is the thing that's taken for granted more than anything else.

Memory is fading, but I think there is a water ring main in London, completed within the last couple of decades.

Sewerage; Bazalgette was the Victorian engineer who constructed the Thames embankments which included main sewers north and south picking up all the outfalls. All the shite carried east, originally held in tanks and pumped out on the ebbing tide by beam engines.

Good point about pumping, they used to rely on gravity where possible , because it's free! Nowadays treatment works need electricity, and as you say a lot of the distribution is pumped.

Water is the thing that's taken for granted more than anything else.

Water certainly is taken for granted. As stated I was not allowed to crawl around London sewers, but did have a peek in down in Brighton. The beam engines you mentioned were changed to electric power down there, they have one section where the pumping and an optical delusion makes it look like the waste is flowing uphill.

That would be right for the water ring main. I did the WRAS course at the Thames Water training centre around 20'ish years ago and thats when I got the background to their systems.

Nah ! We're resilient round here and have our sh!t covered sharpened sticks . Those poofy Londoners would not stand a chance :-D

Not Londoners mate...your fate is far, far worse than Londoners

SCOUSERS! :eek:

Yokel

LE
I've got a couple of fat neighbours to get through first though

@Scaley Albereto has the same thoughts.

This is an interesting thread, because people have different ideas of what they should prepare for. Some people think that they need to think about bad weather and having no electricity for a few days, telephone lines being down, and minor roads being cut off. Others seem to think they need to get ready to fight off millions of refugees from abandoned cities.

It might be an idea for someone to specify what scenarios they think that they should prepare for.

ugly

LE
A fair few years ago (possibly almost 20 as we have lived in the same house for longer) 0A’s Granny rang up and wanted to know if I was going to dig a shelter in the back garden (something to do with wmd’s and the Govt lies) and I told her that we are on chalk and without a digger it would take me about a year to do and that we were going to be okay as the house is in a sunken garden and even the roof was clear enough of most blast unless it came from the front
That seemed to calm her down enough, she had an OBE for WRVS work in WW2 and was the last person I thought would be taken in by the whole “invade Iraq now” nonsense

A fair few years ago (possibly almost 20 as we have lived in the same house for longer) 0A’s Granny rang up and wanted to know if I was going to dig a shelter in the back garden (something to do with wmd’s and the Govt lies) and I told her that we are on chalk and without a digger it would take me about a year to do and that we were going to be okay as the house is in a sunken garden and even the roof was clear enough of most blast unless it came from the front
That seemed to calm her down enough, she had an OBE for WRVS work in WW2 and was the last person I thought would be taken in by the whole “invade Iraq now” nonsense

I knew a couple of people who did this in the early 1980's. I can't remember any particular Cold War tensions at the time, only a few years before the wall came down. The general opinion was it wouldn't be worth emerging to a post-nuclear world, no idea why they bothered. A new owner demolished one of these shelters and was pleased to find a lead lining! That made him a few bob.

Probably a stupid question, but how do you plumb in household power from a genny?

Probably a stupid question, but how do you plumb in household power from a genny?

AIUI you need a changeover switch to disconnect the incoming mains, then connect the genny to the house circuits. You must never have mains and genny connected at the same time. An electrician will be able to give the details.

Pull the supply cutout. usually a 60-100A barrel fuse, that isolates it from the incoming supply.Then disconnect the feed from the meter to the consumer unit. Remembering to tape up the bare ends. Connect your generator supply cable ends directly into to the consumer units 2 pole main switch, and earth connection, Job done (Be aware you have to break the seal on the cut out, which is a chargeable offence, unless you are a licensed JIB electrician)

Alternately, you can get change over units, automatic or manual, which are costly to buy and install. Its a permanent instillation, usually only found in big office complexes, supermarkets hospitals etc. ;)

bluebells

Old-Salt
Unless you are planning on spending big bucks, a portable genny will not be able to supply all of the circuits for a house. I live in mid Wales and my 2100 W genny provides 2 sockets to keep the power supply to the fridges, freezers and AGA. I also have solar panels but the inverter does not work if there is a powercut.
Unless you are a qualified electrician I would not advise doing any work on your origin or Consumer Unit.

Ahem you could just switch off the big
switch by the meter to isolate the house from the mains.
then make up a lead with the Jennie‘s blue plug on one end and a male plug on the other.
if you plug this into a plug socket it energises the ring main and hence everything else via the fuse trip board.
( at least it does in our house)
when you see your neighbours lights come back on reverse the procedure.!
as you can tell im not a sparks ( who have probably just had a fit of the vapours) but it does work, just don’t kick the arse out of the loading.

Latest Threads