Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

Londo

LE
The eclipse in 2017 was a bit of an eye opener here. My state was overwhelmed with visitors who wanted to watch the Bloody thing. To the point of having foreign locusts drain everything dry for the few days they were here. When your local area is built to meet the needs of X amount of people and Y flood the area, you will have problems. If 25 percent of London opted to take to the roads in a mass panic, how well would the road network handle that?

If your economy is suffering energy shortages and supply chain issues now, when things are not dire. How bad will it get when things go tits up? City residents will go to where they perceive they can meet their needs. Which unfortunately means you are obstacle to deal with.

Then if you have managed to deal with that crisis, eventually you will have to deal with the 2nd wave of preppers whose supplies will eventually run out.
I still state that most will not reach here . Possibly a few on foot , remember London roads gridlocked lots of trees to fell and block roads and 70 odd miles is a long way to walk . One route to mine is through a couple of substantial villages the other through a small town and a large village
Plus Leroy from London by the time he does get here will be suffering from withdrawal symptoms and will not be feeling very well .

Funbaby

Old-Salt
Is that Oakland California? if so, i do think that is the least of your worries, the San Andreas fault is not something to be ignored, and any amount of tinned food an an arsenal of guns aint conna cut it when a 9 point quack hits, and its when, not if......do you have a passport? ;)
Yup, California. I have two passports. A 9 is pretty unlikely ; 6.5-7.5 is the figure usually thrown in when talking about the Bay Area, which is still pretty significant. It’s the post quake fires that will likely do the most damage.

Funbaby

Old-Salt
My brother is there too, in Alameda, and I like going to SoCal. I always check the earthquake predictions before I go, and have a route out should it happen. The boffins estimate that ther is something like 150 to 160 feet of northwards movement stored up on the ocean side of the fault. If and when the release happens the ocean side will make that move north in around half a second.
Alameda is mostly landfill and barely above sea level. If the big one does hit, its one big liquefaction zone.

Part of the hazards of life . But food I don't think will be too much a problem round here for quite a while as surrounded by farms .
Chickens and sheep in the fields , loads of cattle and horses , never seen so many pigs between our village and the next . Local turkey farms plus ones that have escaped and live wild .
I've already mentioned the deer and pheasants around here and my garden supplies us with a lot of our veg in the summer and I could up that amount ten fold as I have the seeds . (and the lawn)

Londo mate, there will be people moving from all the compass points in the country. Even if half the country stayed put, 30+ million hungry people aren't going to be in no mood for debate, especially when it comes to feeding their kids.

@Sam The Bam too, cut shells. If society has imploded and the popo is otherwise engaged, messing with shotgun ammo might be an option.

At 'arguing the odds' range I suspect they might work.

The wax filled glaser type may be the way to go if you're totin' bird shot. If you can pick the front of the cartridge open and do the job then close it again, it should feed OK in a semi or pump.

@Tappet
Care to type up that recommendation to the wife requesting more ammo to shoot?

Lord knows I need it.

Glock 26 at 10 yards and that was a challenge.
CEF42FBA-9C3B-4174-8160-C7C70B6D2262.jpeg

ugly

LE
Buckshot like this is lethal past 100yds - 9 x 8mm ballsView attachment 620319
Here it’s called SG or rather the European version is, 9x8.5mm lead balls, at 25 yards it was a comfortable 10 to 12 inches so using a full choked Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer Police Special with 8 rounds in the mag you could slamfire it getting 72 8.5 mm balls in a 36 inch circle in under 3.5 seconds
Pretty much more effective than a hand grenade!
With hand loaded slugs it would group at 100m to about 6 inches fired standing
The slugs I cast myself were an ounce and a quarter soft lead moulded to look like giant Eley Wasp pellets
The slugs were measured years later and proved to be close on 20 bore. If dropped down the Ithaca barrel they would rattle out proving the worth of the base skirt design and the majority of the mass being ahead of the waist made it more stable than the other Foster type slugs I was casting and therefore more accurate!

ugly

LE
The wax filled glaser type may be the way to go if you're totin' bird shot. If you can pick the front of the cartridge open and do the job then close it again, it should feed OK in a semi or pump.
They do, years ago I bought a small pamphlet type book called the shotgun in combat
It covered home made ammo and how to make effective combat loads long after the man at q&m has run out
I fired wax filled no6 loads and they split old railway sleepers at twenty yards

They do, years ago I bought a small pamphlet type book called the shotgun in combat
It covered home made ammo and how to make effective combat loads long after the man at q&m has run out
I fired wax filled no6 loads and they split old railway sleepers at twenty yards
I have a 'toy' pistol, which is for plinking cans ( ;) ). It is CO2 powered and is as powerful as can be bought and would be illegal in the UK. It seems (from You Tube tutorials) that there are lots of ways to make the 0.5 rubber balls it usually fires into quite evil projectiles that would sting a tad...... It has an easily and quickly changeable 6 round magazine.

A.N.Other

War Hero
Do you own that Benelli M4 or 870? If it ain’t in your closet then how do you propose to acquire said wonder weapon?
AR15 style semi-auto shotguns are legal in the UK. The detachable mag is limited to 2 or 3 shells, which is the legal limit for a semi-auto shotgun in the UK.

However, it allows quick mag changes. Also, as a friend who owns one informed me, the mag has a 10 shell capacity, which is limited by studs and a blanking plate which are easily removed if you're so inclined. I understand you can also get solid shot moulds to make your own shells.

I think a 12g semi-auto,with 10 shells, quick reloads and a solid slug will ruin any mad max wannabe's day!

Gone2ratshat

War Hero
AR15 style semi-auto shotguns are legal in the UK. The detachable mag is limited to 2 or 3 shells, which is the legal limit for a semi-auto shotgun in the UK.

However, it allows quick mag changes. Also, as a friend who owns one informed me, the mag has a 10 shell capacity, which is limited by studs and a blanking plate which are easily removed if you're so inclined. I understand you can also get solid shot moulds to make your own shells.

I think a 12g semi-auto,with 10 shells, quick reloads and a solid slug will ruin any mad max wannabe's day!
Not so , the is no capacity limit if you have one on an FAC, your friend is a fantasist , detachable magazine shotguns can only be held on an FAC .

Work well with SSG. Penetrate windscreens and pretty much mince the seat in line with it testing on old car wrecks.

Used to load first round SG and the rest SSG for 3 gun shoot but sometimes loaded a waxed SSG load first for home use.

Gone2ratshat

War Hero
I doubt many townies would venture out to the countryside during Armageddon , they`d eat everything in the supermarkets ,then start killing each other in droves and stealing each others food , eating cats and dogs there after , how many could catch/kill a cow and butcher it , then store and cook it ? how many can farm? not many , cannibalism would start at the end, disease would be rife, those dependant on healthcare would kark it , maybe 10% would survive and become tribal and things would start again.

Latest Threads