Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

There is no way in this county that anyone in a rural environment is going to get six or seven armed people rock up from the big city demanding to take over their property.
We are not like America. A double barrel is actually a deal breaker here
Any way, I imagine those that are mostly armed in the large cities would be busy taking he local low hanging fruit.
You lot do have knives and other blunt force instruments and birdshot is not the best unless you are up close and personal. Just food for thought.

Londo

LE
There is no way in this county that anyone in a rural environment is going to get six or seven armed people rock up from the big city demanding to take over their property.
Any way, I imagine those that are mostly armed in the large cities would be busy taking he local low hanging fruit.
As a keen veggie gardener if civilisation fails at the right time I have a well stocked garden and would be self sufficient for a few months and that's without digging up the lawn . Have a few chickens for eggs , four water butts and three wheely bins that could also store water for the garden .
Have some battery emergency lighting plus a woodburner in the living room for heat and enough wood for about a year .
Have some camping stoves plus gas plus a gas BBQ
Have a large stock of various seeds each year most of which I give away to local school gardening clubs . Plenty of wood pigeons come into the garden plus have a colony of pheasants just the other side of the back fence . Loads of deer running wild round here plus a lot of other peoples horses and that's got me thinking about some of the neighbours too .
Apart from the rather plump woman (feed a family of six for a couple of weeks ) next door a lot do their own growing or have other skills as well . .
Just remembering the months supply of tinned food in the kitchen.
I'm OK for at least a year .

Bug in is better than bug out in the first instance. Let chaos surround you and when it quietens down then bug out if you need to. Personally I would get out of London (other cities are available) within a week as sewage will be backed up, no water, dead bodies and free range rats everywhere.

Not being familiar with the drainage arrangements of London you may be correct but in NI sewage would simply overflow to a watercourse.

As a keen veggie gardener if civilisation fails at the right time I have a well stocked garden and would be self sufficient for a few months and that's without digging up the lawn . Have a few chickens for eggs , four water butts and three wheely bins that could also store water for the garden .
Have some battery emergency lighting plus a woodburner in the living room for heat and enough wood for about a year .
Have some camping stoves plus gas plus a gas BBQ
Have a large stock of various seeds each year most of which I give away to local school gardening clubs . Plenty of wood pigeons come into the garden plus have a colony of pheasants just the other side of the back fence . Loads of deer running wild round here plus a lot of other peoples horses and that's got me thinking about some of the neighbours too .
Apart from the rather plump woman (feed a family of six for a couple of weeks ) next door a lot do their own growing or have other skills as well . .
Just remembering the months supply of tinned food in the kitchen.
I'm OK for at least a year .

If you have enough gardeners then civilization doesn't fail.

How do you know that for certain. Hell we're only talking about the legal firearms for now, we haven't taken into account the illegal ones yet.

You reckon! Mate when the balls are to the wall you'd be amazed at what the human animal is capable of regardless of their accent or where they come from. The fact you're living in the UK isn't really going to make a huge difference. As I said before, the first casualties will be the stiff upper lip followed by the good manners.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly, but I stand by my statement that they may struggle to take over someone’s rural dwelling as easily as some seem to think. You’d think there was a surplus of empty houses knocking about in the country.

I don't recall ever saying any of that.

However when there is a herd of hungry folks heading your way, well you might take some of them down with a doubled barrelled shotgun but by the time you reload, one isn't going to get that many shots off and so one is pretty much fecked by then.

I do take your points on board though and you make some good points. And those points are exactly why I said that the last place I'd want to be in a SHTF scenario, is in the UK

Not being familiar with the drainage arrangements of London you may be correct but in NI sewage would simply overflow to a watercourse.

Whilst it is in the main gravity there is still lots of pumping around London*. No electric, no pumping.

Note: * I did my water regs. course with Thames Water and had their system explained.

Whilst it is in the main gravity there is still lots of pumping around London*. No electric, no pumping.

Note: * I did my water regs. course with Thames Water and had their system explained.

As in NI, but the pumping is on to treatment here and all the sumps have an overflow so a failure just results in untreated sewage into a nearby watercourse. Backing up only occurs where there is a blockage. The only exception I can think of is extreme rainfall events.

Londo

LE
I don't recall ever saying any of that.

However when there is a herd of hungry folks heading your way, well you might take some of them down with a doubled barrelled shotgun but by the time you reload, one isn't going to get that many shots off and so one is pretty much fecked by then.

I do take your points on board though and you make some good points. And those points are exactly why I said that the last place I'd want to be in a SHTF scenario, is in the UK
But when you have a village full of people growing their own stuff , indeed some of them may even be farmers , all wanting to protect themselves from the hungry scavengers (in my case London 70 miles away) . Most of these villagers armed . Who do you think will have the upper hand ?

But when you have a village full of people growing their own stuff , indeed some of them may even be farmers , all wanting to protect themselves from the hungry scavengers (in my case London 70 miles away) . Most of these villagers armed . Who do you think will have the upper hand ?

I'd say that would depend how many are coming against you and how hungry and desperate they are.

Hell just look to the start of the Covid outbreak, most people were out for themselves and their families and the supermarket shelves were an indication of that.

Now apply that mentality to a SHTF scenario.

Londo

LE
I'd say that would depend how many are coming against you and how hungry and desperate they are.

Hell just look to the start of the Covid outbreak, most people were out for themselves and their families and the supermarket shelves were an indication of that.

Now apply that mentality to a SHTF scenario.
Very much difference in small villages where we tend to look out for each other .
Not everyone mind but most .

Just remembering the months supply of tinned food in the kitchen

If storing it away be aware that some tinned foods with high acid contents will go off faster than other tinned goods. For instance anything in tomato sauce doesn't last that long unlike the old compo beans. Certain tinned fruits as well such as pineapple.

There are some good video's on YouTube by people who know what they're talking about. In fact there is one chap on YT that lives around these parts that has a channel. This guy was born and raised in the mountains and that was his playground and a big part of his schooling as he was growing up. If I had to describe him I'd say he's the furthest thing from a prepper you could meet.

The guy was shown how to survive, probably starting the minute he could walk.

He's certainly taught me a lot especially when it came to my small game traps, my numbers for rabbits went up using his method. Damn I'm trying to remember his name but drawing a blank yet I can see his face in my minds eye.

Londo

LE
If storing it away be aware that some tinned foods with high acid contents will go off faster than other tinned goods. For instance anything in tomato sauce doesn't last that long unlike the old compo beans. Certain tinned fruits as well such as pineapple.

There are some good video's on YouTube by people who know what they're talking about. In fact there is one chap on YT that lives around these parts that has a channel. This guy was born and raised in the mountains and that was his playground and a big part of his schooling as he was growing up. If I had to describe him I'd say he's the furthest thing from a prepper you could meet.

The guy was shown how to survive, probably starting the minute he could walk.

He's certainly taught me a lot especially when it came to my small game traps, my numbers for rabbits went up using his method. Damn I'm trying to remember his name but drawing a blank yet I can see his face in my minds eye.
We tend to overstock during the winter months on tinned food anyway . For example in the shop today bought tinned tomato soup and tinned mushroom soup . Only needed one of each . cheaper to buy in packs of six tins so we did .
Prefer not to kill animals for food but would if we had to . This is rabbit country anyway . The nearest town to us made its wealth on rabbit fur . Have three ancient rabbit warrens within a couple of hours walking distance from us . Thousands of rabbits if you ever pass them of an evening .
Also half a mile from a river . loads of fish and full of crayfish as well .

We tend to overstock during the winter months on tinned food anyway . For example in the shop today bought tinned tomato soup and tinned mushroom soup . Only needed one of each . cheaper to buy in packs of six tins so we did .
Prefer not to kill animals for food but would if we had to . This is rabbit country anyway . The nearest town to us made its wealth on rabbit fur . Have three ancient rabbit warrens within a couple of hours walking distance from us . Thousands of rabbits if you ever pass them of an evening .
Also half a mile from a river . loads of fish and full of crayfish as well .

Oh we have no shortage of rabbits around here. I catch them and feed the meat to the dogs. Occasionally I'll roast up a couple for herself and I. Unless it's in the defence of our livestock, what we kill gets eaten.

Predators after the livestock get shot then in turn become food for other critters. I sat in the tractor cab last winter and watched a pair of bald eagles and their one offspring picking away at a coyote I'd shot the week before.

The 9 million locusts who live an hour away.

Very much difference in small villages where we tend to look out for each other .

Google: Four meals to anarchy.

Check out the research done by: The centre for existential risk.

I am not advocating anyone become a full on prepper, I'm not - I think you have to be some serious kind of wierdo to be living your life for some dreamt up possible event. I don't have a nuclear shelter in the back garden, don't go to the shops wearing full noddy kit, I don't even have a concealed carry licence. But, it is my job to look after my family, I do keep an eye on what is happening, and I like doing courses and learning useful skills. The large disaster stuff I learnt about on the county team, and the practical outdoor skills came from camping, the army, and doing some bushcrafty activity - all too tree hugger'ish for me to get involved in seriously, but good to know what trees I can eat, how to slice and dice fresh bambi, and how to make fire by rubbing sticks together.

Funbaby

Old-Salt
I live in an earthquake prone area; that combined with the lively urban environment that Oakland offers means I stay well stocked with beer, bullets, bogroll, batteries and beans.

Oh aye all cosy mate, until the food starts running out or someone gets caught stealing a little extra food along with the usual arguments about who's in charge.

Biggest risk round us is bush fires. We’re surrounded by National Park packed with 30m eucalypts which are packed with fuel. There’s been precious little back burning thanks to the greenies. Not much prep you can do beyond the physical; if the fires come, the house is gone. Our fire safe zone is cleared with no trees and we keep the gutters clear etc, but we’re surrounded by tree huggers who’ve never seen a eucalyptus explode and thus love living amongst them. Our valuables are kept in a fireproof escape box that goes with us if we have to escape. And that’s our plan; **** the house and get to the beach.

Second big one is storms; we get several really big ones in the spring and autumn which drop trees and do a lot of water damage. There was a big one 6 years ago which cut us off for a week without power and the roads blocked with trees. So we keep a storm pack in the garage; dried food, camping stove, batteries, lights etc.

Other than that, there’s a nest of brown snakes in the garden and there’s funnel web spiders around too.

All three require fuel, yet only one understands stfu

Where's the deg then?

Ta muchly for the compliment.

We used to play the disaster/WW3 scenario regularly. Some sat in the control centre and a team sat elsewhere thinking up evil nastys to throw into the mix for control staff to deal with.

People hear/read the SHTF phrase and think they will be able to drive home, load up the wife, kids, and their luggage to get out of Dodge. It is not going to happen in the UK as 60 million plus people will all want to get to that holiday home where they felt safe on holidays all those years ago. Roads will go to instant gridlock, fights will break out at petrol stations, in supermarkets, basically anywhere that people go for day to day, or mobility consumables. Hospital staff will bugger off, people on life support will be the firs casualties. Next will be people like diabetics who need regular treatments, then people who are on medication and cannot get it because the shelves in Boots have been stripped clean.

In cities power will fail, which means water, and sewage will also fail. An extra cistern in the loft can be a godsend.

A comprehensive first aid kit is essential, I have one in the car, one on the bike, and one in my range kit. Celox, tourniquets, and those Israeli dressings along with aspro, ibuprofen, anti-histamine, plasters, q-tips, slings, and anti-septic wipes. I also have a slack handful of nasopharangeal airways, and some guedal airways too........it means I can move on and care for another casualty and not need to worry about airway management on the first casualty.

Superglue is good for wound closure, best if it is surgical quality, but at a push ordinary will do.

Cotton wool balls and vaseline are good. I like to use an old bicycle tyre that I have cut to give me mini-rubber hoops (no, for you pervs reading this it is not a sex things, but I should probably look into that) the rubber burns very hot, for a long time and can more or less start a fire with damp wood.

Books, good call: When I was doing the junior bushcrafter thing in the UK I used to carry 3 books in my pack, not big, heavy books small pocket sized Collins Gem books. One was Loftys SAS Survival Guide, the other was Trees, the third was Free Food. They cost a fiver each and are worth their weight in gold, linkys in the anonymouse boxes below.

Amazon product
Amazon product
Amazon product
Another useful tip for the would be survivor is to know where the local Sainsburys, Tesco, ASDA, etc. warehouses are. I have all the local Walmart warehouses pinged where I live here. In the UK I knew that in Crick and DIRFT near to me there were several useful warehouses for nosh, including a huge cold store.

Throw a handful of tampons into your FAK. Good for plugging holes to stop the claret leaking out.

Latest Threads