Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

I wouldn't take that for granted mate. Back in 2017 and numbers may have gone up since, there were 2,229,344 legally held registered firearms in the UK. I'd reckon on a lot of those firearms being held by city dwellers as well.

Personally I would take advantage of the chaos and knock over a police ARV, or a local reservist centre. Other options include gun shops, gun clubs, and cadet armouries.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
I do giggle at some of the more rabid preppers solution of heading to the countryside and taking over a cottage.
Firstly they forget that most cottages in the countryside actually have people living in them who may not take kindly.
Those people are very likely to have at least a shotgun or two which the generally urban escapee don’t have which may mean a very short conversation followed by urban dwellers sleeping in their car and a return back to the smoke.( if they are lucky! Depending on state of societal breakdown)
And if thousands of brummies think that heading to rural wales to find a place to live in difficult times would be remotely viable. There’s fock all to eat, the sheep wouldn’t last long, that’s if aforementioned farmers hadn’t already brought them in. there’s no crops and the thousands of other displaced brummies would be busy trying to steal off each other whilst freezing in the pissing rain.

Bugging IN is often preferable to bugging out.
I m one of those village people (no not the YMCA ones) and you are right ,no Brummie townie twat would be taking over my residence without them meeting strong resistance , I`ll be listening out for those dodgy accents with phrases such as "Yow or right our kid?".

In times of national crisis, wars etc, all food and clothing warehouses, distribution centers etc, are on lock down, and guarded by either plod, or the military, to stop looting and black market infiltration. I was told this many years ago when there was a strong chance there would be a military coup, During the crisis of the 3 day week, power shortages, coal miners strikes,etc The government had all but lost control in the early 70's. ( we were put on standby to move coal to the london power stations)

Too many warehouses, and as has been seen in other locations where the S did HTF plod is more interested in looking after their own families than patrolling their beat. FFS here in the greater Dallas area you could not find a copper for love, or money when Covid hit......they all suddenly got the Blue Flu and stayed home.

Also, when I say gridlocked, I mean gridlocked. Consider the worst traffic jam you have ever been in and then multiply that 10, 20, 50 fold. Not with people intent on getting to an appointment, or home from the office, but with people who want to survive. We had the analysts and shrinks who look at this stuff giving us lectures and what they foretold is not going to be pretty, or organised......the man with the biggest stick will be the winner, plod and the army will not be going many places rapidly, if at all.

Consider, the town I was plodding in was probably a hundred miles from the nearest army camp. There were a couple of hundred coppers in that part of the county, all spread out, all who would have to deal with the same gridlock everyone else was dealing with - notwithstanding them having Blu Flu. So I doubt many places would even see a copper if SHTF, nevermind a squaddie.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what sort of Shit Hit The Fan scenario are people imagining? I'm curious about how long these preparations are intended to last for.

To my mind having a stock of food, a supply of clean water and a reliable power supply to keep normality going during a week of being snowed in or power cuts is perfectly sensible. Planning for the complete breakdown of society seems to lack a long term outcome and would appear to just be delaying the inevitable.

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
Also, when I say gridlocked, I mean gridlocked. Consider the worst traffic jam you have ever been in and then multiply that 10, 20, 50 fold. Not with people intent on getting to an appointment, or home from the office, but with people who want to survive. We had the analysts and shrinks who look at this stuff giving us lectures and what they foretold is not going to be pretty, or organised......the man with the biggest stick will be the winner, plod and the army will not be going many places rapidly, if at all.
Which perfectly sums up why staying in your prepared home with food, water, clothes, bedding, protection , neighbours (hopefully supportive. Stand fast Londoners!) and all the other stuff of life is preferable to running to the arrse end of nowhere with feck all.

Realistically most urban dwellers (and a big chunk of rural too) wouldn’t know what to do with a dead chicken handed to them. Modern society doesn’t value these skills

Quick dit on that, just to have it written down for posterity:

The old man was attached to the RE in Osnabrueck and attended their big bridging exercise near Hameln. As it was summer time he thought, why not take the family camping and I can pop back to the family every night. Cool, we went off and set up on a campsite near Hameln, olympic sized pool, river running through it and lots of other kids for me to get in trouble with - it was the year they landed on the moon to put a timeframe on it.

Anyway, the old man took us along to the bridging thing a few times to let us see what was happening. The first time there we were chilling and suddenly a young catering corps cook appears chasing a headless chicken down the road. Remember those stories about chickens running after they are decapitated, well they are true - its a nerve thing as long as the heart is not destroyed.

The old dear, who had met the old man when she was head cook in the Sgts Mess at 37 Rhine Wksps and had been born, and bought up on the family farm laughed her cotton socks off. She went to the kitchen and spoke with the man in charge who had something like 30, or 40 chickens for his hapless cook to terminate. She ran a quick teach in, with practical demonstration of how to terminate a chicken and not have it run away. Simple really, you knock it out first by bashing its head with a convenient piece of wood, or wring its neck.

Out of interest, what sort of Shit Hit The Fan scenario are people imagining? I'm curious about how long these preparations are intended to last for.

To my mind having a stock of food, a supply of clean water and a reliable power supply to keep normality going during a week of being snowed in or power cuts is perfectly sensible. Planning for the complete breakdown of society seems to lack a long term outcome and would appear to just be delaying the inevitable
So no INCH bag for you huh?

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt

To my mind having a stock of food, a supply of clean water and a reliable power supply to keep normality going during a week of being snowed in or power cuts is perfectly sensible. Planning for the complete breakdown of society seems to lack a long term outcome and would appear to just be delaying the inevitable.
Mostly power off for a few days, severe weather etc, not interested in the end of days crap but want to make sure my family can manage through a difficult period of a week or two.

Which perfectly sums up why staying in your prepared home with food, water, clothes, bedding, protection , neighbours (hopefully supportive. Stand fast Londoners!) and all the other stuff of life is preferable to running to the arrse end of nowhere with feck all.

Bug in is better than bug out in the first instance. Let chaos surround you and when it quietens down then bug out if you need to. Personally I would get out of London (other cities are available) within a week as sewage will be backed up, no water, dead bodies and free range rats everywhere.

So no INCH bag for you huh?
Having googled it, no. I like spending a week out in the middle of nowhere and not seeing other humans for days at a time. If I tried living like that I'd be dead of starvation within a month.

If push came to shove I might go an hour down the road to family who have a bigger place.

Having googled it, no. I like spending a week out in the middle of nowhere and not seeing other humans for days at a time. If I tried living like that I'd be dead of starvation within a month.

If push came to shove I might go an hour down the road to family who have a bigger place.
I agree, it is a worthless prep that many people cling to. Especially this part of the year. My plan would just be to chill at home and grill and fry meat, and just be sure to have enough gas so I could check on a few people.

Exposure and dehydration will kill you first.

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
Personally I would get out of London
Wise words, every day of the year. Not just in time of need!
Went there for a weekend trip recently, great to be a tourist but no thanks to living there. Like a different country theses days.
I have spoken to Americans who told me about their trip to the uk and spending the week in london and saw all the “sights” they were suprised when I told them they a week in london was in no way “seeing Britain”

I’d lay good money on the fact that it’s largely a rural population that have them.

I don't really know about that mate tbh. But if the UK shooting sites that I visit are anything to go by, well a heck of a lot of those people are living in towns and cities. That and most of them have a nice collection of firearms.

Wise words, every day of the year. Not just in time of need!
Went there for a weekend trip recently, great to be a tourist but no thanks to living there. Like a different country theses days.
I have spoken to Americans who told me about their trip to the uk and spending the week in london and saw all the “sights” they were suprised when I told them they a week in london was in no way “seeing Britain”

A recent shotgun course I was on a lawyer who was another participant told me he had been over to the UK a couple of years ago. Apparently he and his family had seen most of Europe in 2 weeks.

.....and heading north into the rural hinterlands of the south staffordshire and Shropshire borders of chicken, cow and sheep farms and pig rearing combines. ( Brum to the south staffs border is about 17 miles) N***** farm, zillions of pigs, cows and acres of spuds, not 10 minutes from me, and Cannock chase about 30 minutes, which is heaving with deer, and the 65 miles of the black country extensive canal system, ( Just a few miles north of Birmingham) loaded with fish.............. when the SHTF, we're sorted. :p
I can walk to Cannock Chase from from MiL’s gaff with out breaking a sweat and still see the church I got married in.
30 minutes.. Brummie twat
As an aside, my BiL first twatted his motorbike on the road through the Chase. Deer.
He got over that. The second motorcycle v bigger vehicle really did for him.

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
I don't really know about that mate tbh. But if the UK shooting sites that I visit are anything to go by, well a heck of a lot of those people are living in towns and cities. That and most of them have a nice collection of firearms.
Undoubtedly, but I stand by my statement that they may struggle to take over someone’s rural dwelling as easily as some seem to think. You’d think there was a surplus of empty houses knocking about in the country.

Undoubtedly, but I stand by my statement that they may struggle to take over someone’s rural dwelling as easily as some seem to think. You’d think there was a surplus of empty houses knocking about in the country.
It depends on how many people one might be dealing with. A double barrel is great if you are worried about a stray. Not so wonderful if you are outnumbered six or seven to one.

Londo

LE
Plus country folk will defend what they own vigorously . Never mind a large amount of shotguns (and in my case a very powerful crossbow ) and other guns for vermin control .
Most around my way would take on any strangers trying to take over by stabbing them with sharpened sticks smeared with their own shit .
We play for keeps round here .

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
It depends on how many people one might be dealing with. A double barrel is great if you are worried about a stray. Not so wonderful if you are outnumbered six or seven to one.
There is no way in this county that anyone in a rural environment is going to get six or seven armed people rock up from the big city demanding to take over their property.
We are not like America. A double barrel is actually a deal breaker here
Any way, I imagine those that are mostly armed in the large cities would be busy taking he local low hanging fruit.

Last edited:

The discovery of an incoming impactor less than a few days out is the only thing I can imagine creating the gridlock described. Everything else would escalate over a period of days at least or be immediate (tsunami or nuclear attack for example).