Adverse conditions - Personal resilience, lack of and how would you manage?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I listen to Radio 4. Not sure why, it drives me absolutely ******* mad with frothing fury every day, but I can't stand the ******* who consider themselves to be DJs nowadays on other channels,, so this will do for now.

I was listening with interesting and said fury at a couple on the phone talking about Storm Arwen and how they were really struggling. In a nutshell:

1. Spring water supplies their taps, filtered via UV light. No leccy, no UV, thus water not safe to drink.
If a dirty Afghan well can hydrate a squadron of men with nothing more than a slack handful of pocket sized hand filtration pumps, why can't they manage likewise?

2. Explained that their elderly pensioner neighbours had generators so were okay, because they had lived there long enough to know how likely a power cut was. If some old OAP fart can have the sense to have a generator, why didn't these people?

3. Costing a fortune in buying wood for the log burner. What the actual ****. Trees. You silly cnuts.

4. Whine whine moan moan. etc.

I then read on the BBC about a couple who said they were getting fed from a burger van that their local MP had sorted, but they were moaning that they were Pescatarians (Is that how you spell it? Looks funny for a word pronounced 'cnuts') so they've only been eating the chips. Hungry and cold, these ******* muppets were still refusing to eat proper meat because of some made up belief. Thank god they never found themselves in the Soviet hinterland during the famines.

There just seems to be a real problem around people preparing for the worst. I don't mean this in a mad prepper sort of way, but just having the basics to survive or deal with a situation. That includes storm isolation, flooding, etc. At what point did we become so reliant on the help of others and lose our way in being able to supply and protect ourselves?

Add in to that various other gripes and moans from people who seem to have no resilience in the face of adversity, it makes me wonder WTF would happen in an actual disaster scenario. Putting aside the inevitable rampage of people robbing those who had stocked up etc, and not about prepping, what do you have in your house right now that you could rely on in the event of a severe weather incident that saw your trapped without power? Our US brethern need not respond because you're all ******* insane and probably have fully kitted bunkers, you mad bastards (I'm just jealous).

To start:

1. 150 self-heating meals (this is a temporary thing, not a usual feature. I just happened to come in to possession of them. Several trays of tinned food (from Covid era), a large tattie patch and two children, edible when cooked
2. 20L of petrol and 20L of diesel
3. Hand tools, blood stained but functional for cutting of, to provide fuel or repair (hahah)
4. Several boxes of matches
5. Bag of tea light candles
6. Several dozen AA and AAA batteries
7. A fast flowing stream nearby. Nothing to filter it other than a few reams of A4 paper and kitchen cloths, but enough to make it reasonably safer for drinking if boiled
8. A burning waste bin in the garden
9. Bags of charcoal and a BBQ

So give some examples of what, if you were stuck in your house for a week, you would have to hand to make life easier / survive.

The only addition I was thinking of was a Jackery powerbank or something similar, just so I could keep the deep freeze running, for example.

4,500 litre Koi pond plus fish.

That's me sorted for water and a few fish suppers...

So give some examples of what, if you were stuck in your house for a week, you would have to hand to make life easier / survive.

Telephone numbers of local fast food delivery's.

This is nothing new.
35 years ago we had a spot of snow and the bbc did a full on broadcast about a family of four who trudged through the snow a whole two miles to the local pub and stayed there till their power was restored.
They were real hero's.

I listen to Radio 4. Not sure why, it drives me absolutely ******* mad with frothing fury every day, but I can't stand the ******* who consider themselves to be DJs nowadays on other channels,, so this will do for now.

I was listening with interesting and said fury at a couple on the phone talking about Storm Arwen and how they were really struggling. In a nutshell:

1. Spring water supplies their taps, filtered via UV light. No leccy, no UV, thus water not safe to drink.
If a dirty Afghan well can hydrate a squadron of men with nothing more than a slack handful of pocket sized hand filtration pumps, why can't they manage likewise?

2. Explained that their elderly pensioner neighbours had generators so were okay, because they had lived there long enough to know how likely a power cut was. If some old OAP fart can have the sense to have a generator, why didn't these people?

3. Costing a fortune in buying wood for the log burner. What the actual ****. Trees. You silly cnuts.

4. Whine whine moan moan. etc.

I then read on the BBC about a couple who said they were getting fed from a burger van that their local MP had sorted, but they were moaning that they were Pescatarians (Is that how you spell it? Looks funny for a word pronounced 'cnuts') so they've only been eating the chips. Hungry and cold, these ******* muppets were still refusing to eat proper meat because of some made up belief. Thank god they never found themselves in the Soviet hinterland during the famines.

There just seems to be a real problem around people preparing for the worst. I don't mean this in a mad prepper sort of way, but just having the basics to survive or deal with a situation. That includes storm isolation, flooding, etc. At what point did we become so reliant on the help of others and lose our way in being able to supply and protect ourselves?

Add in to that various other gripes and moans from people who seem to have no resilience in the face of adversity, it makes me wonder WTF would happen in an actual disaster scenario. Putting aside the inevitable rampage of people robbing those who had stocked up etc, and not about prepping, what do you have in your house right now that you could rely on in the event of a severe weather incident that saw your trapped without power? Our US brethern need not respond because you're all ******* insane and probably have fully kitted bunkers, you mad bastards (I'm just jealous).

To start:

1. 150 self-heating meals (this is a temporary thing, not a usual feature. I just happened to come in to possession of them. Several trays of tinned food (from Covid era), a large tattie patch and two children, edible when cooked
2. 20L of petrol and 20L of diesel
3. Hand tools, blood stained but functional for cutting of, to provide fuel or repair (hahah)
4. Several boxes of matches
5. Bag of tea light candles
6. Several dozen AA and AAA batteries
7. A fast flowing stream nearby. Nothing to filter it other than a few reams of A4 paper and kitchen cloths, but enough to make it reasonably safer for drinking if boiled
8. A burning waste bin in the garden
9. Bags of charcoal and a BBQ

The only addition I was thinking of was a Jackery powerbank or something similar, just so I could keep the deep freeze running, for example.

Ahem.... These children. They wouldn't be tender juicy grain fed vegans by any chance, would they? Like veal, but more long piggy.

I have around three months of expired 24 hour frogginese rat packs, couple of freezers full of meat, cupboards full of pasta, rice and tinned food and the means to silently cull any annoying neighbours for protein after dark.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Funnily enough, that is virtually word for word my rant earlier. The first thing I'd buy if I lived anywhere even slightly remote would be a generator.

And looking to the future when electric cars rule the world, all these useless fecks would be stuck indoors as their cars couldn't be charged. Surely the energy companies could lay underground cables and if you want to live in the wilderness you bloody well pay to be connected! :cool:

Funnily enough, that is virtually word for word my rant earlier. The first thing I'd buy if I lived anywhere even slightly remote would be a generator.
I seem to recall the bbc did a thing about 5 years ago where a remote village was finally put on the grid.
Following year heavy snow cut them off again.

Get yourself a wood burning stove. If the brown smelly stuff does hit the fan a wood stove will keep you warm and food can be cooked on it as well.

I have a wood burner down in the man cave, the rising heat just about heats the whole house.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get yourself a wood burning stove. If the brown smelly stuff does hit the fan a wood stove will keep you warm and food can be cooked on it as well.

I have a wood burner down in the man cave, the rising heat just about heats the whole house.
We have a fireplace should it go tits up, but we are not at all remote

We had small generators in NI. I loved the fact that when the power went on camp we could still watch Oz aerobics and Jerry Springer, but the Ops room couldn’t do anything.

Latest Threads