Adventures of a Cold War Warrior by John D. Rowbottom

A Review by exbluejob.

I was quite looking forward to reading this book as the end of his service was contemporaneous with the start of mine. I was also curious about his transition from the Army to the RAF Regiment.

This book is written in a very peculiar style, very short paragraphs, usually of 10 – 20 sentences, each with a header. Whereas I was expecting some flowing dialogue giving a story ,what I got were small anecdotes from his life, following his ‘career’ for page after page after page. Endless, tedious, boring anecdotes. For example one night he had 3 pints of beer instead of his normal 2. Much mention of what a fantastic guy he was and amazing at chatting up girls. Full of non-sequiturs and anything he’d ever heard during his time became something that happened to him or one of his mates. We’ve all heard the hoary old chestnut about the RSM pointing his stick at a soldier and saying that there was a piece of shit at the end of it, the reply being ‘not my end sir’. Well if that had been an RAF story it would undoubtedly have happened to one of this guys mates.

cold war warrior.jpg

As it turns out he joined the Army to be a driver but failed the driving course and was offered a transfer to the Royal Artillery which he took. Having failed as a gunner he was discharged. Hardly an auspicious start for our ‘cold war warrior’.

A month later he decided to join the RAF and of all the trades offered wanted to be a steward. After basic recruit training (and more endless snippets and anecdotes) he went on to steward training and actually passed! More never-ending snippets and, frankly, unbelievable stories, for example at Officers Mess balls etc. the officers and their ladies would be shagging any and everywhere with gay abandon. Pages without end of this and I’d gone from being irritated by quarter of the way through to annoyed by halfway through and my wife was commenting on my tutting. I quickly skimmed through the remainder, hoping against hope that there might be something of interest, a glimmer of a storyline but it wasn’t to be, just more dripping and dull little snippets of his life.

I am at something of a loss to understand why a publisher thought this was worthy of publication. Perhaps they were completely and totally unaware of the basic training for both services and how service life worked, hence falling for all of these stories. Personally I’m very glad that I didn’t have to pay a penny to read any of this dull, dire, work.

Amazon product

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mr. GRB asks how bad one has to be to be chucked out of the artillery.

No wonder Rock-apes are looked down on by everyone!

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
My quote from the RAF Regiment thread. 'Having been 'co-located' with some RAF Regiment last week I now think they are excellent. They do a job an infantry battalion would not want to do, and they attract people who are, while not bad soldiers, not the people you would want in your regiment, battalion, squadron, etc.'

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Left a review on Amazon so people don't waste their cash.

A Review by exbluejob.

I was quite looking forward to reading this book as the end of his service was contemporaneous with the start of mine. I was also curious about his transition from the Army to the RAF Regiment.

This book is written in a very peculiar style, very short paragraphs, usually of 10 – 20 sentences, each with a header. Whereas I was expecting some flowing dialogue giving a story ,what I got were small anecdotes from his life, following his ‘career’ for page after page after page. Endless, tedious, boring anecdotes. For example one night he had 3 pints of beer instead of his normal 2. Much mention of what a fantastic guy he was and amazing at chatting up girls. Full of non-sequiturs and anything he’d ever heard during his time became something that happened to him or one of his mates. We’ve all heard the hoary old chestnut about the RSM pointing his stick at a soldier and saying that there was a piece of shit at the end of it, the reply being ‘not my end sir’. Well if that had been an RAF story it would undoubtedly have happened to one of this guys mates.

View attachment 620968

As it turns out he joined the Army to be a driver but failed the driving course and was offered a transfer to the Royal Artillery which he took. Having failed as a gunner he was discharged. Hardly an auspicious start for our ‘cold war warrior’.

A month later he decided to join the RAF and of all the trades offered wanted to be a steward. After basic recruit training (and more endless snippets and anecdotes) he went on to steward training and actually passed! More never-ending snippets and, frankly, unbelievable stories, for example at Officers Mess balls etc. the officers and their ladies would be shagging any and everywhere with gay abandon. Pages without end of this and I’d gone from being irritated by quarter of the way through to annoyed by halfway through and my wife was commenting on my tutting. I quickly skimmed through the remainder, hoping against hope that there might be something of interest, a glimmer of a storyline but it wasn’t to be, just more dripping and dull little snippets of his life.

I am at something of a loss to understand why a publisher thought this was worthy of publication. Perhaps they were completely and totally unaware of the basic training for both services and how service life worked, hence falling for all of these stories. Personally I’m very glad that I didn’t have to pay a penny to read any of this dull, dire, work.

Amazon product

He then went into the RAF - and after Basic was trained as a Steward.
Do they have Stewards in the RAF Regiment ?

I don't think so.

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
He then went into the RAF - and after Basic was trained as a Steward.
Do they have Stewards in the RAF Regiment ?

I don't think so.
After failing to be a driver and a gunner he was successful as a steward then applied to re-trade as a Rock. There is no real back story as to what drove him to want to change, seems to have just woken up one day and decided that being a flunky was boring.

A Review by exbluejob.

View attachment 620968

Amazon product

They're "hybrid publishers" another name for vanity publishers who also have the odd genuine book. They encourage MS from un-represented writers.
Avoid.

A Review by exbluejob.

View attachment 620968

Amazon product
You obviously took one for the team there, thank you, I shall avoid this book.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads