Adventure Training - Caving

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by AstonJake, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey folks, I'm currently considering joining the Army and I've been browsing the army.mod website. Anyway, I was looking at the week-by-week training info and came across this:

Most of them sound brilliant to me, but caving... not so much. I'm a wee bit claustrophobic you see so caving sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me.

I guess my question is - is caving mandatory? Do you get to choose what to take? Or is it just a random selection?

Thanks for your time.

2. I wouldn't worry about claustraphobia to much.
    I used to suffer from it so I took up the hobby of exploring dis-used mines. Worked wonders and small spaces don't bother me anymore.
    Caves are pretty safe, most of them have formed over centuries and they don't move much, your guides will know exactly what hthey are doing. You might even enjoy it!

3. Being a big built bloke i wasnt keen on the idea myself, was bricking it until we got down there to be honest but we had such a laugh that i didnt really think about it until we'd finished and afterwards i couldnt believe id been worried , having said that there was a bod who couldnt go through with it and they where fine with letting him sit it out.

4. If your claustrophobic, how are you going to react if you get put into that sort of situation on operations though? Could be plenty of times you'll end up having to be in a confined space.
    Also, how will you react on the CS gas tests and so on when your disorientated and so on with a gas mask on?

5. With training, the bod i previously mentioned also sat out the absailing AND the kayaking and was generally thought to be wetter than an otters pocket but has gone on to serve with the battalion in Afghan with no problems.

6. He's the last person that I'd want to get stuck in a situation with then!

7. if you tell your training staff you don't like caving,don't be suprised if they put you on that course.
    just give it a go and have a laugh.......when you get in.

8. That kind of problem doesn't bother me. If I can generally move and flail my arms about I don't mind so much. It's the extremely tight spaces that get me - not being able to move much at all, you know?

That said, it's good to know that if I can't go through with it when it comes down it then I can sit out. The fact that I have a choice is a lot more reassuring, and in a strange roundabout way may spurn me on to try it. Regret is one of the worst things that can afflict you.

It is the Army after all, and it's all about facing your fears and conquering them. I'll make that call when I get there.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

10. Also if you start involuntary break dancing through the stress it will be hilarious to watch, I had a mate who was petrfied of heights-duely we all took a trip to a high obstacle course in yorkshire, all I can remeber is my mate getting to the first platform, grabbing the tree, his legs going like jelly and me and mates on floor in stitches.

But he gave it a go and after got a pint and a pat on the back. But all kidding aside I will have to do said activity and im not claustrophobic, however I don't fancy dropping down a hole in the cave and fecking drowning, this happened to some poor chap last year.

11. What happens if you are on Ops and have to go in a cave? Wont be able to say no then!

12. Thats when ya send the Regimental Ferret in.....the scouser

13. Oh please, keep things in perspective, its a genuine concern that will soon fade away once you have become a soldier.