Advanced ‘detect and destroy’ air defence system launched

Sky Sabre, a state-of-the-art air defence system, replaces Rapier, propelling the British Army to the forefront of ground-based air defence missile technology.

Continue reading...

Senior Training Officer, Major Tim Oakes said:​

“Sky Sabre is so accurate and agile that it is capable of hitting a tennis ball sized object travelling at the speed of sound.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many adversaries are launching tennis balls these days?
EmEyesWide.jpg

“Sky Sabre is so accurate and agile that it is capable of hitting a tennis ball sized object travelling at the speed of sound.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 620599

Morning @Spanks,
...and the hypersonic frames that China and Russia have recently tested. Five times the speed of sound IIRC but happy to be corrected.

I can see it now.

”General, these new systems can protect against targets that travel up to the speed of sound, but potential adversaries have missiles that travel many times more quickly”.

”Those missiles were not in scope during the development of our new system”.

That’s alright then.

”I say Ivan, would you mind terribly if we ask you to only fire at us those missiles that were in scope during the development of our GBAD system? Thanks awfully!”

Hypersonic weapons are very much “silver bullets” designed to take out high value strategic targets and large naval ships such as carriers. As such, they’re not going to be fired willy-nilly over the FLOT at tactical targets. Sky Sabre is a short range AD system that is perfectly capable of dealing with all realistic threats for the foreseeable future. Countering hypersonics will require much larger and powerful systems with sensors detecting targets at ranges of 100s of miles, capabilities that are impossible to build into small, tactically mobile AD systems. NATO is fielding a very complex missile defense system and that’ll likely be the basis for an anti-hypersonic system.

NATO missile defence system - Wikipedia

Interesting that the image in the press release is tagged as 'S300_Sky_Sabre'.

TELEMMGLPICT000279805955_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwSX5rhseiWKOo9p9OQ-ymek.jpeg

Don't suppose they thought they'd bought one of these?

Russia-Israel_Horo1.jpg

Dread

LE
Interesting that the image in the press release is tagged as 'S300_Sky_Sabre'.

TELEMMGLPICT000279805955_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwSX5rhseiWKOo9p9OQ-ymek.jpeg

I'm curious: do the two vehicles have to be parked in that fashion, or can they be parked a decent distance away from each other? Any point as to the Warrior OPV in the photo, or is it lost?

It's also good to see a decent number of units being purchased... I see the Treasury has ensured that we have purchased nowhere near enough, given that 8 units are going straight down to the Falklands, leaving only 16 units for the rest of HMF (2 batteries worth, providing the kit is never VOR/US). At least the UK now has an in-service medium-range system: Rapier was a great weapon against anyone silly enough to fly very low and too poor/stupid to have any stand-off weapons.

I'm curious: do the two vehicles have to be parked in that fashion, or can they be parked a decent distance away from each other? Any point as to the Warrior OPV in the photo, or is it lost?

It's also good to see a decent number of units being purchased... I see the Treasury has ensured that we have purchased nowhere near enough, given that 8 units are going straight down to the Falklands, leaving only 16 units for the rest of HMF (2 batteries worth, providing the kit is never VOR/US). At least the UK now has an in-service medium-range system: Rapier was a great weapon against anyone silly enough to fly very low and too poor/stupid to have any stand-off weapons.
Ajax or Warrior in the background (right)?

Good to see that the cannisters are all marked as practice rounds (blue, empty).

Let's hope that any future opponent doesn't deploy any of these:

Cheap as chips (relatively) at between £2m and £5m per unit.

That's an Ajax, so I suspect it's at a 'show off what shiny kit we have' press event. Thus I suspect that's just a photo op, not a we need to be this close thing.

Dread

LE
That's an Ajax, so I suspect it's at a 'show off what shiny kit we have' press event. Thus I suspect that's just a photo op, not a we need to be this close thing.
Thanks: on zoooooooming in I see that you are indeed correct!

4(T)

LE
With the ballooning size of modern kit, its a good job BAOR days are over - the forests would be too small to conceal everything. At least with Rapier B2, you could hide it in someone's potting shed....

View attachment 620599
Does it work though.

Theres been a report today that theres been approval to order an additional 24 sets . ''Edit Torygraph behind paywall - cant read it myself so going by what commentators have posted elsewhere""

The Cynic in me - thinks thats balls and its just conformation 24 units will be ordered
The pessimist in me thinks thats 24 over the 8 ordered allready for fI (so 32)

Im not holding out any hopes that theres actually an intent to purchase 48 of them.

Last edited:

Latest Threads