Advance on Pay for TA training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Cardinal, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can an advance on Pay be made just prior to a TA soldier commencing a course or period of training? Our TA clerk seems to think it can only be paid on the first day of a course or training period.

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Never heard of it happening, ever. That's not to say it's not possible, just that it's very very very unlikely....

It's hard enough to get money half-way through via Acquitance Roll!
  3. Agree with above, I doubt it, AR payments are hard enough to get as a reg so I guess neigh on impossible.

Speak to your PSAO, try to adopt the "Oliver" approach with out streached hands (seen it before) at least it will give him a good laugh
  4. I dont think advanced pay is sensible. What would happen if you failed the course half way threw and got RTU'd? You would have to give a weeks worth back. Better to do pay on an individual to get paid for the days you attended.
  5. I'm sure on my the last annual camp 2 years ago we all got a partial but small advance of pay.
  6. Seems fair, especially if you're going to be out of pocket to do annual camp.
  7. msr

msr LE

Seems ridiculous. And how can you be out of pocket for camp? You only have to get to the TAC.

8. Those of us who are self employed can be way out of pocket.
  9. For example: someone who gets paid weekly but doesn't get paid by his employer during Camp.

In the days of Pay Parade, we'd have the option of taking one week's pay or two weeks' pay at the middle weekend. Most took both weeks' to avoid the risk of the cash getting lost in the system (which it often did).

I can't see why Advance of Pay should be difficult. It gets signed for and, if overpaid due to non-attendance or whatever, gets debited from following payments. Obviously, it's a privilege, not a right, so it wouldn't be offered to someone of questionable honesty. A bit like a 1033 for money.
  10. There used to be a 'Camp Advance' whereby a part of the annual bounty was paid in advance, at camp, and was intended (I think) to offset the loss of earnings resulting from attendance at camp. Don't ask me how it worked, coz I don't know.

So in the past it was definitely possible but now... Who knows?
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Worth having your Coy Clerk check with the RAO/RAWO about getting an EPIC payment. Think you need to have a valid reason though.
  12. On the TAP for our annual camp it askes if an advance of pay is required.
  13. Shhh! They'll all want one! ;)
  14. Anyone can get an Early Payment in Cash (EPIC) which is the same as an advance of pay. We give our personnel EPICs half way through camp just the same as we did in the past. If you need an advance before camp it is just a case of getting it authorised by your RAO or PSAO.
  15. Thanks for the replies, esp Deejay. I shall ask my PSAO and if he say's yes then he can direct the clerk.