Adult Instructor/Officer medical requirements

Hi guys. Have searched the forums but didn't have any luck getting specifics. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of the medical fitness criteria for ACF adult instructors/officers.

I'm really interested in volunteering for the AFC as an adult instructor and would like to know if this is possible with a strong Brazil nut allergy. Other nuts, peanuts, hazelnuts etc are absolutely fine and I have no other allergies.

My application for UOTC back in 2014 would've been successful if it wasn't for this. Now that Cadet Forces have their own commission, do the same Army/Reserve medical requirements still apply?

Cheers.

Hi guys. Have searched the forums but didn't have any luck getting specifics. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of the medical fitness criteria for ACF adult instructors/officers.

I'm really interested in volunteering for the AFC as an adult instructor and would like to know if this is possible with a strong Brazil nut allergy. Other nuts, peanuts, hazelnuts etc are absolutely fine and I have no other allergies.

My application for UOTC back in 2014 would've been successful if it wasn't for this. Now that Cadet Forces have their own commission, do the same Army/Reserve medical requirements still apply?

Cheers.

Yes, it is entirely possible. The Army's medical requirements are completely different to those of the ACF.

On joining, you'll be asked to fill out a Detail Update Form. This will ask you to self declare any issues such as allergies so that catering requirements can be taken into account. You'll also have to declare any medication to ensure that what you have been prescribed does not affect your ability to look after children safely.

In extremis, your Commandant can request you undergo a medical examination at public expense in case of any doubt.

Good luck with your application.

Cheers, that's great news. So this also wouldn't prevent me from gaining an ACF commission?

A nut allergy will be least of your concerns in getting an ACF commission.

Cheers, that's great news. So this also wouldn't prevent me from gaining an ACF commission?
I wouldn’t be rushing to go down the commission route until you’re fully au fait with the vagaries and requirements of the ACF.
At the very least, with a commission you’ll be expected to run a detachment, this takes time and experience to get your head around. It will also impact on the level of commitment you’re prepared to make and the courses you’ll need to attend.
Some years ago, there was a drive within the ACF to increase the number of commissioned officers, including a campaign to try to recruit CFAV’s directly as officers. To the best of my knowledge it wasn’t very successful, particularly the latter element.
Notwithstanding the above, if you are prepared to put in the time and effort and are doing it for the right reasons i.e. to ultimately enhance the cadet experience for young people rather than some misguided idea of having a higher rank and the more perceived kudos that accompanies it, then good luck and go for it.

No. I know of several ACF Officers with allergies, as long as the cookhouse is informed in plenty of time, there should be no problem.
Brilliant, good to know.

I wouldn’t be rushing to go down the commission route until you’re fully au fait with the vagaries and requirements of the ACF.
At the very least, with a commission you’ll be expected to run a detachment, this takes time and experience to get your head around. It will also impact on the level of commitment you’re prepared to make and the courses you’ll need to attend.
Some years ago, there was a drive within the ACF to increase the number of commissioned officers, including a campaign to try to recruit CFAV’s directly as officers. To the best of my knowledge it wasn’t very successful, particularly the latter element.
Notwithstanding the above, if you are prepared to put in the time and effort and are doing it for the right reasons i.e. to ultimately enhance the cadet experience for young people rather than some misguided idea of having a higher rank and the more perceived kudos that accompanies it, then good luck and go for it.
Thanks a lot. No, I'm in no rush at all. I just wanted to know if this issue would put a glass ceiling over me.

I can certainly imagine the difficulty of appointing instructors directly as officers. Going in as an authority figure with next to no experience of the organisation seems like a very tall order. I wouldn't want to be in that position.

Talon

Old-Salt
There is no reason why this should be a problem, beyond some old crusty instructor thinking it is not allowed, in which case they just need a slap with ACF regulations.

I wouldn't worry about the officer bit until you have completed your AIC and are an SI, but you might be asked about it before then.