ADSC/PDA sticky - thread for all discussion on recruitment and selection in 2018

I no we have the check list for selection but is there anything that use guys/girls wish you had of brought with you some guy said take pot noodles and things like that but I thought they chucked out any food that you brought with you. Apparently they tried to sell him pot noddles lol.

Any advice be appreciated.
Unless your planning on eating them dry I wouldn't bother. Take nothing but what it asked of You mate

Ladies, you will have to get your tits out for the medical. Just a warning as I was quite taken aback when I was taken for my ECG and the nurse told me to get them out.

Yes, just chase your application all the way home. The recruiters will appreciate the eager attitude i can assure you. Thank you very much sir, ill let you all know how I get on with selection next weekend!
Hey, just an update: Went down to the careers office today. Had a lot of questions answered and, most importantly, was given a date for my initial interview.

Turns out my application had already been processed but AFCO hadn't been notified to invite me to an interview. This new online system is a shambles, haha.

Thanks for the help. To anyone else struggling with delays, go and inquire in person!

Hey, just an update: Went down to the careers office today. Had a lot of questions answered and, most importantly, was given a date for my initial interview.

Turns out my application had already been processed but AFCO hadn't been notified to invite me to an interview. This new online system is a shambles, haha.

Thanks for the help. To anyone else struggling with delays, go and inquire in person!
Brilliant mate. I'm well made up ya. Good luck to you.

I am waiting for Assessment date with a view to go to Harrogate next March. I understand that the BARB test as been replaced by ACT. Has the test changed for Junior Soldiers going to Harrogate too? Are there any links to practice tests online?

Got grade A from Glencorse. Going in the Reme and I have to wait 4 months for phase 1. :(
Hello mate, have you been offered a Regimental Insight Course or Basic Training Open Day (or both) in advance of your start date.

The first is a visit to the REME to learn a bit more about your future Corps and the second is a visit to a Basic Training establishment to show you around and give an insight to your first few months in the army. You can attend either or both if interested and your travel will be paid.

If you are interested I would advise you to go to your local careers office and ask to be loaded.

I no we have the check list for selection but is there anything that use guys/girls wish you had of brought with you some guy said take pot noodles and things like that but I thought they chucked out any food that you brought with you. Apparently they tried to sell him pot noddles lol.

Any advice be appreciated.
Hey mate, congrats on getting your time down first and foremost.

I recently done selection and some of the blokes there brought things like kit-kats and lucozade. Just general snacky things.
No point in bringing pot noodles or anything because you get three meals a day anyway and they’re actually decent.

Also if you’re gonna bring snacks - save them until after your medical. The last thing you want is a deferral because you drank/ something caffeinated/sugary and it messed with your results.

Good luck, mate.

I have ADSC at glencorse tomorrow. Should show up in my suit or just pack it for the interview? What should I wear when I show up? It was not specified in my email. Cheers lads

I have ADSC at glencorse tomorrow. Should show up in my suit or just pack it for the interview? What should I wear when I show up? It was not specified in my email. Cheers lads
Most of us arrived in our smart clothes but I don't think the staff cared that much - there were people in tracksuit bottoms and jumpers.

Those who have passed the new BARB test, is it something that needs revising for or is it pretty easy? I've previously passed the RAF CBAT, although I found that challenging - are the two similar in difficulty?

I have the option to take the test now on my online dashboard but I'm not sure if it's a practice test or what... I was under the impression that the test is taken when you go for your physical test. Although maybe that's changed.

Those who have passed the new BARB test, is it something that needs revising for or is it pretty easy? I've previously passed the RAF CBAT, although I found that challenging - are the two similar in difficulty?

I have the option to take the test now on my online dashboard but I'm not sure
Don’t click on the link from your dashboard for the ACT as it has to be done at Assessment centre in exam conditions

For the lads stressing about selection, don’t sweat it!

The Army Cognitive Test (ACT) / (New BARB) is very straight forward. There’s a practice booklet that you get the chance to do before you take the real test if you want to. I didn’t bother as it’s fairly straight forward and you’ll get a briefing on it the first day you get to selection (I did at Lichfield anyway).

I don’t have a clue what the overall ACT is out of but I got a 75 which isn’t too bad I guess. If I can do it lads I’m pretty sure every single one of you can. The more you panic and get yourself worked up and flustered the more likely you are to misread a question. Take it easy!

As for what to arrive in, you are told to arrive smart casual. Suits/shirt and tie is a good start.
They won’t say anything about what you arrive in, but they do notice. From the moment you get off that train and get picked up to be taken to selection you are being watched, so the best bet is to look respectable and act professionally.
After all, it is a job interview!

Everything there is meant to be a test of character. If they ask you to do something they will be watching closely. On the team tasks make sure you’re well Involved with an opinion. But don’t gob off a load of shite as you’ll look a fool.

From my experience lads it was ace, and you meet a sound bunch of lads. You’re all in the same boat really!

Hope you all have a blast, and remember to enjoy yourself. It’s not prison :D

For the lads stressing about selection, don’t sweat it!

The Army Cognitive Test (ACT) / (New BARB) is very straight forward. There’s a practice booklet that you get the chance to do before you take the real test if you want to. I didn’t bother as it’s fairly straight forward and you’ll get a briefing on it the first day you get to selection (I did at Lichfield anyway).

I don’t have a clue what the overall ACT is out of but I got a 75 which isn’t too bad I guess. If I can do it lads I’m pretty sure every single one of you can. The more you panic and get yourself worked up and flustered the more likely you are to misread a question. Take it easy!

As for what to arrive in, you are told to arrive smart casual. Suits/shirt and tie is a good start.
They won’t say anything about what you arrive in, but they do notice. From the moment you get off that train and get picked up to be taken to selection you are being watched, so the best bet is to look respectable and act professionally.
After all, it is a job interview!

Everything there is meant to be a test of character. If they ask you to do something they will be watching closely. On the team tasks make sure you’re well Involved with an opinion. But don’t gob off a load of shite as you’ll look a fool.

From my experience lads it was ace, and you meet a sound bunch of lads. You’re all in the same boat really!

Hope you all have a blast, and remember to enjoy yourself. It’s not prison :D
A few questions -
1) Is it shared accommodation?
2) Is medical the first thing you complete?
3) What sort of stuff should I research for the interview? I know it's mostly just a careers chat rather than an interview, per se, but of course it looks good if I know a bit more. How much should I know, and what should I know? So far I've done a lot of research on my chosen roles and the training for them, a bit on regimental history for the regiments I'm interested in, and a bit on current operations. Is there anything more I should look into?
4) Did many people fail the ACT?

Thanks

A few questions -
1) Is it shared accommodation?
2) Is medical the first thing you complete?
3) What sort of stuff should I research for the interview? I know it's mostly just a careers chat rather than an interview, per se, but of course it looks good if I know a bit more. How much should I know, and what should I know? So far I've done a lot of research on my chosen roles and the training for them, a bit on regimental history for the regiments I'm interested in, and a bit on current operations. Is there anything more I should look into?
4) Did many people fail the ACT?

Thanks
1) It is indeed shared accommodation and it is indeed communal showers too.
2) It was the first thing completed for me (Lichfield). The day you arrive is full of briefings and paperwork. The 1st full day you’re there is more paperwork and a thorough medical. Then we went onto the PT side of things but it can change.
3) The interview for me was very laidback. They talk about how you done, ask you how you felt you done and what you enjoyed. What you feel you could’ve improved on, what type of preparation you done for selection. They’ll ask about what you want to do. What training consists of for that job role, where training will be. They’ll ask you general questions about if family support you, why you want to join the army etc.
I would recommend knowing the CDRILS. What cap badge you want to join, what training consists of and where training would be. Then you should be fine.
4) The ACT isn’t a test that’s easy to fail. I haven’t heard of anyone that failed but you do need to get a certain score to get certain jobs. How it works is you answer the questions and you get your overall score. Job roles in the army are put into groups with scores that are required to go into that job role. But don’t stress about failing, have the right mindset and tackle it head on. A positive mind leads to positive results.

1) It is indeed shared accommodation and it is indeed communal showers too.
2) It was the first thing completed for me (Lichfield). The day you arrive is full of briefings and paperwork. The 1st full day you’re there is more paperwork and a thorough medical. Then we went onto the PT side of things but it can change.
3) The interview for me was very laidback. They talk about how you done, ask you how you felt you done and what you enjoyed. What you feel you could’ve improved on, what type of preparation you done for selection. They’ll ask about what you want to do. What training consists of for that job role, where training will be. They’ll ask you general questions about if family support you, why you want to join the army etc.
I would recommend knowing the CDRILS. What cap badge you want to join, what training consists of and where training would be. Then you should be fine.
4) The ACT isn’t a test that’s easy to fail. I haven’t heard of anyone that failed but you do need to get a certain score to get certain jobs. How it works is you answer the questions and you get your overall score. Job roles in the army are put into groups with scores that are required to go into that job role. But don’t stress about failing, have the right mindset and tackle it head on. A positive mind leads to positive results.
Perfect. The whole day sounds pretty laid back, suppose the level of stress is entirely up to the individual and how much (or little) preparation they've done, haha. Thanks

Perfect. The whole day sounds pretty laid back, suppose the level of stress is entirely up to the individual and how much (or little) preparation they've done, haha. Thanks
In all honesty mate it was absolutely brilliant. The lads you meet are sound because you’re all in the same boat, you have people from all backgrounds going into all different cap badges.

The team tasks are fun, and you’ve already got to know the lads by then so you can work really well. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail! It’s all good fun and it really gets you buzzing for phase 1.

Hope it all goes well :)