ADSC/PDA sticky - thread for all discussion on recruitment and selection in 2018

Has anyone done the new Mindmill assessment yet how have they found it I have done it before for software companies but wondering if the sections will be the same like the up and down arrows stuff found that really hard.
Hey man, I did it last month and managed to get 71. We never got to practice it but before you start each topic, you will be given 3 practice questions, read them carefully and make sure you understand it. Good Luck

Here are the 5 Topics:

Section 1 - Orientation

The first section will ask you to remember and apply two rules in order to find the correct pair of arrows.

Two rules will be displayed to you. You will click next and be shown a selection of arrows. You will then select your answer and move on to the next question.

One of the rules will tell you which way the arrows are pointing. "Up left ABOVE up left" will tell you that both arrows in the pair are pointing up and to the left. "Down right BELOW up right" tells you that the arrow on top will be pointing up and to the right and the arrow below it will be pointing down and to the right. "Up", "down", "left", and "right" are the only directions used.

The other rule will tell you the colour of the arrows. "White ABOVE black" tells you that the arrow on top is white and the one below it is black. "Black BELOW white" would also tell you that the arrow on top is white and the one below it is black. "Black" and "white" are the only colours used.

Once you have read and remembered the rules, you will press the "next" button and the rules will vanish. You'll be shown 6 pairs of arrows and you must recall the rules to identify the correct pair to select.

If you are presented with the rules "Down right ABOVE up left" and "white BELOW black", you would be looking for a pair of arrows that has a black arrow on top pointing down and to the right, with a white arrow pointing up and to the left below it.

Section 2 - Error Detection

You will be shown an "original" piece of information and a "copy". The copy may have mistakes and it is your job to identify how many mistakes there are. The answer of how many mistakes there are will be between 0 and 4.

The original information and the copy are displayed on the screen. You will press the "next" button and the information will vanish. You'll have 5 buttons with 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 on them. Press the button that matches your answer and it will move on to the next question.

The information can involve letters, numbers and symbols.

If you are presented with " sda806@yre.com " and " sda306@pre.vom " you would note that there are 3 differences. You would press "next" and then "3" on the next screen.

The information is presented in an "over under" fashion so it is easier to check for errors.

Section 3 - Number Fluency

You will be shown two maths sums individually. You must work out the answer to each sum and then say which has the greater answer.

Remember that " x " means multiply (or times). " / " means divide. " + " is add. " - " is subtract (or take away).

For example, the first sum you are shown is 9x6. You will work out the answer in your head. The answer to that sum is 54. Remember this number. You will then press the "next" button.

The second sum is displayed. The sum reads 7+48. You will work out the answer in your head again. The answer to that sum is 55. Remember this number. You will then press the "next" button.

You will then be shown a screen with three buttons labelled "Top", "Bottom" and "Same". You will compare the answer to the two sums in your head. The answer to the top sum was 54, the answer to the bottom sum was 55. 55 is more than 54, the bottom answer is bigger, so "bottom" is the answer. If the number on top is greater you would hit "top". If the answer to both sums is the same you would hit "same".

Section 4 - Word Rules

You will be shown three categories followed by three items. It is your job to see how many of the items match the category.

The first line will show you something like "Fish Fish Transport". You will hit the "next" button and it will vanish. You'll then be shown three items, in this case "Tuna Barracuda Train". You will hit the "next" button and be presented with buttons with 0 to 3 on them. You have to click on the number that corresponds with the amount of items that match the categories. The first category was "fish". The first item was "Tuna". Tuna is a fish so we have one match so far. The second category was also "fish". The second item was "Barracuda". Barracuda is a fish so we have another match. The third category was "transport". The third item was "train". A train is a type of transport. That is a third match so the answer would be three.

Another example would be "Tool Tool Fish" followed by "Shark Saw Screwdriver". A shark is not a tool so the first is not a match. A saw is a tool so that is us up to one match. A screwdriver is not a fish, so we stay at one match and the answer would be 1.

Section 5 - Deductive Reasoning

You will be shown 2 statements and a question about those two statements.

The statements and the question will be shown on the screen. You will hit "next" and then the answer options will appear as the statements and the question vanish.

An example:

"Valley colder than River"
"Mountain colder than river"
"What is hottest?"

Click, that text goes away and three buttons appear with "Valley", "Mountain" and "River" on them. Both the mountain and the valley are colder than the river, so "river" is going to be your answer as it is the hottest.

Another example:

"Shark further than Trout"
"Salmon further than Shark"
"What is nearest?"

Put the items in order in your head. Imagine yourself stood and you can see a trout. Behind the trout is a shark. Behind the shark is a salmon. The thing closest to you is the trout, so that is your answer.

I got told there were no assessment dates yet but clearly that's not the case. Good luck.
Hi mate , thanks, not sure about the information you've received as a mate of mine is on selection on the 14th so there certainly happening throughout March. Best of luck anyway, I know how frustrating this recruitment process can be.

Quick question, got ADSC coming up on the 20th March. I already have an in date medical due to reserves/prev application. What are the chances that I can just use that medical outcome, or will it be a case of doing it anyway?

Thanks in advance

Quick question, got ADSC coming up on the 20th March. I already have an in date medical due to reserves/prev application. What are the chances that I can just use that medical outcome, or will it be a case of doing it anyway?

Thanks in advance
You'll have a "quick medical" where they'll just take your blood pressure and check a few things before letting you go, I was in and out in about 30 minutes whereas for my first medical I was in there all day.

@sssupREME Thanks for the extensive report on that mate. I did one once for a software development company aced every section but the orientation so just have to wait and see. I found the orientation one the hardest.

Also on another note I made my first sub ten min mile today in my on going training for selection so proud of my self having not run 8 months ago.

Also can someone tell me how I change back from the navynet skin to the army one I clicked it one day and forgot how to go back to the army skin ?

image1 (5).png

Last edited:
Anyone else schedules for Glencorse on March 23rd?
Also, presuming I pass selection with grade A, what's the average time until training start date these days?
Appreciate all responses, cheers fellas.

Anyone else schedules for Glencorse on March 23rd?
Also, presuming I pass selection with grade A, what's the average time until training start date these days?
Appreciate all responses, cheers fellas.
Depends on the trade you’re going for and how much that trade is needed. A mate of mine was waiting a couple of weeks but I’ve heard of people waiting a couple of months

1st choice is paras, i know that will take a bit longer with PRAC and all that. I do make the 9 minute 40 run times but if for whatever reason im not selected then Hopefully going into the Yorkshire regiment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
illbeamonkeysoon Army Pay, Claims & JPA 2
Meibion_Glyndŵr The Training Wing 0
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14