ADSC/PDA sticky - thread for all discussion on recruitment and selection in 2018

Hi guys, got my AC soon, wondering what clothes are acceptable to turn up in?

I'm quite fortunate to have a lenient job where I can basically go to work in anything, so I'm buying a suit for the interview now but wondering how the army defines 'smart casual'. Might as well buy a few shirts while I'm out if needed, plus some smart trousers but if they'll be OK with dark jeans and a jumper I won't waste my money.

Hi guys, got my AC soon, wondering what clothes are acceptable to turn up in?

I'm quite fortunate to have a lenient job where I can basically go to work in anything, so I'm buying a suit for the interview now but wondering how the army defines 'smart casual'. Might as well buy a few shirts while I'm out if needed, plus some smart trousers but if they'll be OK with dark jeans and a jumper I won't waste my money.
I'm going to arrive at Edinburgh (Don't know where your ADSC is) in my Jeans and jacket, got my shorts and T-Shirts for the two days along with a pair of joggers (Sure i have seen on this thread it's best to take a pair of joggers as you're waithing all day for medical). Have them anyway...got loads of socks in case it pisses it down with rain
and loads of boxers in case i shit myself...you never know...

I'm going to arrive at Edinburgh (Don't know where your ADSC is) in my Jeans and jacket, got my shorts and T-Shirts for the two days along with a pair of joggers (Sure i have seen on this thread it's best to take a pair of joggers as you're waithing all day for medical). Have them anyway...got loads of socks in case it pisses it down with rain
I'm on 27th assessment (Arriving on 26th) When is your assessment date ?

Cheers mate, I'm going Lichfield but I imagine it's all the same.

Won't waste my money then. And as for shitting myself, I'm just not bringing anything white!

Cheers for letting me know mate, i take it it’s a very similar sort of test though?
They test similar things but the ACT looks very different to the Barb.

It's not the kind of thing you can really practice, but it's useful to understand the questions before you try them for real. The questions with the arrows confuses everybody initially.

Ask your ACC for a copy of the instructions/ guidance for the ACT.

As an aside, and purely anecdotal, but my feeling is that ACT scores are coming out higher than Barb scores.

What reg are u joining mate?

It's not the kind of thing you can really practice, but it's useful to understand the questions before you try them for real. The questions with the arrows confuses everybody initially.

As an aside, and purely anecdotal, but my feeling is that ACT scores are coming out higher than Barb scores.

Hey all, first time posting.

I had a question about security vetting, does everyone have to do this? I lived abroad for many years, so wondering if it's something that has come about due to that. Filled out in mid April, not heard anything and still slated for August start date. Until last week I got another email saying that my sponsor has created an account for me on the NSVS portal.
This was same thing I had previously filled out, followed link to make a new account, filled in info and then came to a screen saying my application to the NSVS portal has been withdrawn.
Should I be worrying? Or another one of the endless issues I've been getting with the new system?

Cheers, T

Hey all, first time posting.

I had a question about security vetting, does everyone have to do this? I lived abroad for many years, so wondering if it's something that has come about due to that. Filled out in mid April, not heard anything and still slated for August start date. Until last week I got another email saying that my sponsor has created an account for me on the NSVS portal.
This was same thing I had previously filled out, followed link to make a new account, filled in info and then came to a screen saying my application to the NSVS portal has been withdrawn.
Should I be worrying? Or another one of the endless issues I've been getting with the new system?

Cheers, T
Everyone has a security check I'm sure but shouldn't take that long I'd chase it up with your recruiter he'll have more understanding with what's going on in your situation

Anyone at glencourse for the 27th good luck and see use there I’m travelling on the 26th so staying over The night before it starts. Hopefully we will all do phase one with each other

Have been told that the ACT is managed by Mindmill and there is practice test booklet available at - https://www.mindmill.co.uk/downloads/PracticeBookletEvo.pdf

My son got caught up in the change over from BARB to ACT and ended with his joining account being f***ed up for months. Ended up having some lengthy conversations with his CSM about it all. A lot was constructive criticism. She was the one that provided details about mindmill :)

BARB, you were able to get onto a test set of questions to get a feel for how the tests would be for real. ACT has no such offering which is a backwards step.

My son got caught up in the change over from BARB to ACT and ended with his joining account being f***ed up for months. Ended up having some lengthy conversations with his CSM about it all. A lot was constructive criticism. She was the one that provided details about mindmill :)

BARB, you were able to get onto a test set of questions to get a feel for how the tests would be for real. ACT has no such offering which is a backwards step.
Yes it was a lot easier to "practice" the Barb test - even the Army website had a practice test on it.

Every candidate who attends an Army Brief is sent a "practice" test before they attend, so nobody should be seeing the test for the first time when they attend the AC.

Most candidates however tend not to bother doing it.

The "practice" (or Screener) test is supposed to give a rough score to the ACC to help in guiding the candidate towards the correct job choice - in truth though, this doesn't work in practice for a variety of reasons (mainly IT related)