ADSC on 17th - stuck with trade choices

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Kev892, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening all,

First off, excellent forum - just wish I found it earlier.

I've been confirmed on the ADSC Glencorse on 17th June.

I'm a little stuck between which trades I want to do. I have Communication Systems Engineer down at the minute, but reading more about Vehicle Mechanic (VM(A)), I'm actually wanting to change my trade choice to this.

With my selection being just a few days away, would it be wrong of me to ask for my trade choice to be changed?

Would it be a bad decision to change to Vehicle Mechanic, having come from being a Network Admin/Technician in civi street?

Would I also be shooting myself in the foot in regards to the transferable skills I'd gain from Comm Sys Eng vs Vehicle Mechanic?

Would it look bad going for VM having A-levels, advanced diploma in ICT and an HND in Computing and Networking Technologies?

I'm the type of person who enjoyed maths and physics at school, as well as working with my hands/tools (and definitely still do), whereas it would seem the higher up the IT ladder you climb, the more desk bound you become.

As you can probably tell, I'm confused - I'd enjoy either role, but I think I'd enjoy VM more.

Please can anyone offer some advice.
  2. Hi mate, nice to see you taking part :)

In my personal opinion, I would say you should do what you think you will enjoy, you have qualifications already so you are set for civvy street, you say you have A-levels ect. and working in networking and admin...

It won't look stupid a vehicle mechanic having all those qualifications, remember some people study in the army aswell.

Basically do what you really want and think you will enjoy, there's no point choosing Communication Systems Engineer if you are trying to escape a similar job in civilian life is there?

I don't think they will be pleased that you have left it so late (why have you by the way?) but just explain to them how you feel and they should understand.

Good luck mate, let us know how you go on.