ADSC Lichfield - Recent Experience

ljms

Swinger
I recently did the ADSC at Lichfield and here's my experience for those who may be going in the near future.

Day 0
You're picked up at Lichfield station by a coach or minibus, depending on numbers. You're lined up immediately and given your number... don't forget it! There's a mixture of regulars and reserves, and there's a mix of those going for JNCO and officer roles within the reserves.

On arrival, we were again lined up and given our bibs. We left our luggage in a sheltered area in the compound and went into the lecture theatre for a briefing. There's a lot of paperwork to be done and this took up most of the first evening, you place all your valuables (including phones) into a blue wallet and all your ID and other documentation into another folder - these are labelled with your bib number - and then you fill out forms to record what's going into storage. Then there are more forms, and more forms, and more forms, and presentations! Then came the icebreaker, which isn't really an icebreaker anymore you just stand up, say your name, age, where you're from and what you're hoping to go into in the Army. That's it. We were then taken over for an evening meal at the 'scoff' and then it was back over to the lecture theatre half an hour later. A short while after, we were marched over to the accommodation to make our beds and get settled in, shaved and showered before bed as there's no time the next morning. Lights out at 22.15, up at 05.30... it took ages for most of us to get to sleep and there were juniors upstairs making loads of noise (it sounded like they were beating each other to death) - but they were duly bollocked both on the night and the next day.

A note on the ablutions: the showers are open, swimming bath style - so you'll struggle if you find other guys showering naked in your immediate vicinity uncomfortable... just get over it and get showered, don't be the guy who showers in swimming trunks (yes, we had a couple who did this.)

Day 1
Up at 05.30, straight up - no drama - and change into PT kit, brush teeth, wash face and outside in ranks for 6.00. We were taken back over to the reception and given our numbered water bottles and asked to give a urine sample, then it was off to the scoff for breakfast. Breakfast was okay, either a full English, cereal or toast (or all 3 if you want!)

This was the medical / tests day and it was predominately taken up by waiting around, lots of time spent watching Jezza Kyle on ITV in the rec room or Top Gear in the clinic waiting area. The medicals are thorough, and as such they take time. In no particular order, you have tested: urine; BMI; lungs (spirometry); hearing; eyes; ECG; echocardiagram (if necessary - it was for me and I thought I was going to be sent home medically unfit for a while); and then you see the doctor, who does a full thorough once over of your entire body which includes a hernia check and all your joints. We lost a few people to the medical (I think around 16) who were either deferred or PMU'd. I was one of the last people out of medical due to the echocardiagram, but I was given my green card in the end which was a relief! Those who were deferred or failed were given an interview with a counselor and sent home on the next train. At around 12.00 we had a lunch which consisted of a baguette and an apple.

In terms of tests, I only had to do the BARB, but those going into technical roles did the TST and those who didn't have Maths / English GCSE (proof of it, that is - even if you've got A*s you'll still need proof, otherwise you sit the test, no exceptions) were tested on it and given a Level 1 - 3 grading, 1 being the lowest. The BARB was easy, the final part with the shapes was irritating and I guessed most of it.

After all the medicals and tests were done (this was around 5pm if I remember right... a long time to wait if you went straight through medical and were done for 12/1) we were marched around to the team tasks area, put on some overalls and a helmet and got these done. It took about an hour, and we did the grenade throw and three team tasks, done in teams of eight. The grenade throw (I believe) was not assessed as the PTI didn't have a clipboard and wasn't taking notes. It's easy... get on your stomach, leopard crawl through a very tall and wide tunnel, throw a grenade whilst screaming grenade as loud as you can, take cover, recover it and put it back - done. The team tasks were okay, a little challenging but not too much. Our team was great and we finished all 3 tasks and beat the other team every time. Just talk, shout, motivate others, get stuck in; do NOT sit on the sidelines following everyone and occasionally saying something, you WILL fail the entire selection. Just open your mouths, speak, it's easy.

When these were done, it was back to the lecture theatre for some presentations on Phase 1, given some rec time with our phones then showers and off to bed. Lights out at 22.00, up at 05.30 for day 2.

Day 2
Same deal as Day 1 - up, brush teeth, PT kit, strip beds and replace sheets for next group, outside in ranks and over to the scoff for breakfast. Breakfast was the same as Day 1. After breakfast, we were off to the rec room to let the food settle before the main PT, the four guys who failed their BARB tests re-sat it during this time. After a brief warm up, we did the PT in one big group: jerry can; power bag lift; run. Every single person did the full 150 metres on the jerry cans and 40kg lift on the power bags - easy. One person struggled slightly but he still did it all. Then it was straight onto the run - 800m warm up, stop for a minute and then personal best effort around the track. The Lichfield track is all paved road with a slight hill, no grass and you'd need to be an idiot to go off course. Do NOT walk at all or you will be penalised for it and screamed at by the staff, just keep jogging no matter what - forget everyone else and just concentrate on your own run. In the end, one person gave up because of shin splints and was deferred for 3 months. Everybody else finished, even the person who came last did it in under 14.00. My time was 11.20 which wasn't as good as I'd expected, but my ankle was hurting as I'd landed on it funny during the warm up which slowed me down. You lose points for time after 9.40 on the run, this pulled my overall grade down from A to B, but it's fine! One or two guys threw up on the course.

You line up until all are finished with the run (not allowed water yet) and sent off to shower and suit up in 20 minutes ready for interview. One guy in our room and one guy in the other threw up at this stage, but that was it. Then it's more waiting for the interview, during which you find out all your scores (run time, BARB (I got 76 which is really high), etc - you're not told the run time after the run) and whether or not you passed. Do prepare for the interview as they ask about a range of things, including CDRILS, Phase 1, your corps knowledge and the role you're going for.

Out of our original 54, I believe around 30 passed without being deferred and 5 ish were. The rest went home. You're given the dates you start training too, some people were starting as late as October... if you want to start sooner, perform well and get an A grade... all the quiet ones who seemed a bit weaker with C grades had later start dates, whereas the others started a lot sooner. As a reservist I was allowed to attest there, but I'm doing it at my unit instead. 3 other lads attested at ADSC.

If anybody has any questions I'd be happy to answer - sorry if some of my sentence structure is shtie, I'm fcuking exhausted!

Sorry mate I gave up reading...bullet points would have been better

The_Duke

LE
It also looks very similar to many other blow by blow write ups people have made on here.

I will leave it open for a bit for comment.

if u fail at your first job choice? meaning if you did pass all of the above- and you was excepted you get to your phase 1 training, i.e para- 30 weeks, that being your first job choice - i.e p-company - if u fail here.. would u get offers to your second and third job choice? or is that it u failed! or do get the choice out of the other two job's u apply'd for or do you just get to do 1 u accepted .... at interview at adsc... like do or fail ? p.s sorry if this is in the wrong place -thanks.

if u fail at your first job choice? meaning if you did pass all of the above- and you was excepted you get to your phase 1 training, i.e para- 30 weeks, that being your first job choice - i.e p-company - if u fail here.. would u get offers to your second and third job choice? or is that it u failed! or do get the choice out of the other two job's u apply'd for or do you just get to do 1 u accepted .... at interview at adsc... like do or fail ? p.s sorry if this is in the wrong place -thanks.
Yes, you can choose Para as first choice and any Inf unit as second choice, you can fail Para and go Inf but not the other way round.

Mscherry

Swinger
I have my selection at lichfield in 11 days I'm so nervous about the run mainly , do you have any general tips? Do men and women do all the exercises together ?

ljms

Swinger
I have my selection at lichfield in 11 days I'm so nervous about the run mainly , do you have any general tips? Do men and women do all the exercises together ?
No tips really... just run and don't stop or you'll be marked down (unless you're stopping to throw up; that's fine.) Men and women are separate for the entirety of the selection event.

I travel on 1st of August to Lichfield, do you know if the regulars get given a start date for training if all goes well?

bluenosewrx

Old-Salt
Guys and girls, as a seasoned guy at this type of run i will attempt to give you a few tips:

1. Know your time already, your best time should mean your very best as in when you complete 1.5 (2.4 km) miles that you have nothing left in the tank, you could not go another 100 Metres, this will help you as you don't know the course and your body will tell you when you are near your maximum exertion.

2. Know your best way of running, can you start fast and maintain it or start slower and build up to max pace?.

3. When you are training, train for at least double the distance and use different methods, interval, fartlek etc, don't just go out jogging at a comfortable pace, i try and increase my pace every uphill i come to to coach my heart and lungs into it.

4. Don't worry about others, your time is the one to worry about, if you go about chasing someone they may well be one of those that burn out within 500 metres and you will join them.

5. Listen to the staff if they are on the route, they will know how long is left distance wise etc, you should also know your best segment times, ie what you should be aiming at every 400 metres etc.

6. Don't let the occasion get to you, stick to your game plan.

7. Please invest in some decent trainers, not the latest yeezy ones, proper running trainers, get measured at one of those running shops that fit the trainers to you via computer etc, will make a massive difference.

Good Luck

101D

Swinger
@ljms,

This is great info, I have mine next week and to say that I'm absolutely bricking it would be an understatement.

Did you do a PT session whilst you were there?

Latest Threads