Adoption of lead free primers

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello folks,

I hope all is well with you guys.

May I please ask if/when it is anticipated that our soldiers will be using SA ammo with lead free primers?

Thanks.

Have a great evening!

2. Err, probably once the lead-free priming compounds have sufficient reliability and shelf-life for mil purposes? Which is why we held on to corrosive primers until the transition to 7.62mm...

Frankly, there are bigger things to worry about than lead salts in primers...

3. Strange question IB, could we ask why? Or do you need to keep that to yourself?

There's been very little advancement in primer explosives. The lead styphnate used may have a toxicological hazard but it is non corrosive, hardly effected by extremes of temperature and has a F of I perfect for its role.

Good luck finding an alternative.

4. Thanks for the feedback guys.

My question is definitely heading somewhere but I must respectfully ask that I be permitted to keep mum on what it is for, for now, and I hope no one takes offence as a result.

DDNP is a lead-free primer, but I presume that given the military's absolute requirement on reliability of ammunition, I expect that they would want to have decades of history behind something as crucial as SA ammo before adopting lead free ones.

Centerfire ammunition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. There are different quality limitations depending on each nature's role. It's 20 years since I touched quality limitations, but for example training ammunition had a SLQ (service limiting quantity) of 75%.

Battle winning natures such as 120 natures have an operational limiting quantity of 99%. Once a batch drops below this it is deemed to be used at training only, fall below (I think) 80% and the batch is deemed unserviceable.

SAA has a lot lower OLQ, I think it's about 90%. So any replacement component would have to meet this criteria.

Besides another factor to consider is that SAA is our most used ammunition nature. We hold hundreds of millions of rounds, which will take a few years to get through.

6. Or has it. I couldn't find any info, but it could be quite possible they removed the lead from the bullet and they would probably argue lead styphnate is not lead.

As has already been said current alternatives for primer composition are not as good as what is currently used and I'd wager the alternatives are a damn sight more expensive.

Besides that, just because something has already been done doesn't mean it's the best or finished product.

7. I'd like to experience your version of reality. Do you use prescription drugs or something you mixed yourself? I'd be obliged if you might share this with us.

8. I don't understand the reason behind your post?

Independent boffin is genuine, if you track back and read his posts you'll see that he is a switched on bloke, not only that he has the common sense to realise that there is a lot to be gained from the experience of people of the field of expertise he is working in.

Don't dismiss him as some wannabe clown.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for all the replies guys. So I guess lead free primers are not on the menu for the time being.

For various reasons I am interested in converting inexpensive spent brass into brass powder, like the ones you get in art supply shops.

Lifecasting, Mold Making, Molding Materials, and Casting Materials from EnvironMolds

Lead primer residue in the brass powder will be an unacceptable toxic hazard. I don't really mind leaded bullets as they will not be among the empty casings!

@Goodideaatthetime. May I suggest the biography of Horatio Spafford; here who was a man who knew how to find peace amongst tragedy.
    Horatio Spafford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you have the time, William Wilberforce is another inspirational character, who forged on despite many toils in his life. A man on a mission; he died three days after his life's missions were accomplished.

Thank you for your kind words, dingerr.

10. Boff,

Another reason why not is that most of the reason why is down to concerns for health and safety at INDOOR RANGES. Most Military SA ammo is expended outdoors so the very small quantities of lead containing soot are probably what is defined in health risk terminology as "completely ******* irrelevant". Thats an official H&S technical term, that is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It is obviously a good idea, to not risk lead poisoning, that could be dangerous, when shooting people.

12. Its ok though, the next generation of anti-matter pulse-laser assault rifles are entirely electrically powered. The only health hazard is from the di-lithium batteries if they are incorrectly disposed of.

13. And relative to whether you are the shooter or the shootee.

14. Spent brass could sold on to a scrap dealer who probably won't be worried about the primers.

Either that or the primers can be removed.