Admin support on medical issues once youve left

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Filbert Fox, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am in the last couple of weeks of my terminal leave, I have over the last 18 months been having medical treatment on some condidtions, I recently recieved another appointment and was told by my unit that I am not entitled to any travel paid for by the army to attend this appointment.
    Where do I stand on this? do the army have a duty to get me to these appointments? Once I am actually out will the army have a duty to continue treatment until my conditions (caused by being in the army)?
    I am living in the fatherland as Mrs Fox is still serving but Ill be buggered if Im going to pay for my own flights back.

    Mucho thanks
  2. If Mrs Fox is still serving then you should become "dependant of" and should then get all the same options as any normal civie camp follower?

    Now whether that means you get flights to UK? No Idea.
  3. I thought when one left the Services, One becomes Persona non grata
    We did in the 70´s.
  4. Amazing isnt it, how quickly they drop you.
  5. If you are registered as a dependant, then the BFG Health Service should take over your care, and should ensure that you get to any pre-arranged appointments.

    Depending on what the appointments are for, however, they they may offer to arrange new appointments at a DGP; if you then hold out for the existing arrangements they will say that they are personal choice, and so they don't have to pay.
  6. I was medically discharged in april and still waiting for the military to send my med docs to my GP so that i can see an orthopedic surgeon. Yes they do drop you and forget about you the minute you leave them gates. And my injury was on active service in Iraq
  7. The military don't send your docs to your GP directly - they go via the NHS Central register at Smedley Hydro.

    However, so that you can maintain continuity of treatment, and provide your NHS GP with your history, you should have been given an FMed133 on discharge, which contains a summary of your med history and care. It seems that this doesn't always happen, however.

    There are a couple of other things you can do if you need your medical records:

    1. Contact MOD Archives at Sentinel House on 01702 299310. They won't have the latest stuff, but may be useful for records of hospital treatment more than a year or so ago.

    2. Submit a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1998 for all your military medical records. This is very easy to do; you can either just write a letter (making clear that it is a SAR), or use MOD F1694. It is MOD policy not to charge, though the maximum cost is only £10 anyway. You can send it to your last unit, or direct to MOD in Glasgow (if anyone's interested, I'll post full details here). The thing about this method is that MOD are legally bound to respond within 40 days, and to supply you with all the data they hold on you, or explain why they can't supply it.
  8. Does "oops sorry we lost it all" count as and explanation why they can't supply it?
  9. They can try it - and then you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner because MOD have failed to safeguard your sensitive data - MOD do take IC seriously, and the complaint will be followed thorough. Alternatively, if you have been out less than 3 months, you can make a complaint under AGAI Ch.70 about it.

    It's actually quite difficult to lose med records completely. Copies of everything more than a couple of years old will be in the archives; hospitals will hold duplicate records of any treatment they've done; and then there's EMIS, the computerised records, shortly to be replaced by DHIC.

    If the records are genuinely lost, then nothing will bring them back. An official complaint, however, might just focus some minds, just in case they didn't look hard enough the first time.
  11. I should have made clear that the GP doesn't get the FMed4, or a copy of everything in it, but a summary.

    After being forwarded to Glasgow by the last unit, the FMed4 and other records end up at MOD Archive at Shoeburyness.

    I would recommend that anyone who has any health concerns, especially ongoing issues, submits a Subject Access Request for their med records before leaving the service. This way, you will have a copy of everything yourself. Not only will this be helpful to your new GP/hospital before your 'new' NHS docs arrive, it is also useful if you need to make any claims in the future.

    Some med centres may provide a photocopy of notes and an EMIS printout, but a SAR will also get copies of all hospital records.

  12. I was told at discharge (1977) all med docs were Property of the MOD and were restricted, I was refused any photo documents at all whitch resulted of it taking years to prove that I had been injured during my Service in NI. Unless things have changed in the last Thirty years or so , I would be very courteous and collect all possible evidence of my Service also collecting witness statements and reports of active service,
    A bit over the top ,you may think, Well fall ill in twenty years time and try to prove that you hurt your back while training etc.
    A great number of Vets can tell of tales of running around trying to prove a certain incident...years later......
    Think, B..lair Government that will help to make my point....
  13. Don't you mean DMICP? This will be connected to the NHS NPfIT by 2010, which should mean records flow from NHS to DMS and vice versa automatically.
  14. You are quite right, and I stand corrected. My error is even greater considering that I spent several hours in a rather dull meeting yesterday at which DMICP was discussed. I can summarise the discussion quite neatly thus: it doesn't work properly, which will probably come as no surprise.

    Swompy - It is precisely because of the type of experience you describe that I recommend a SAR, because it is a formal request which MOD are legally obliged to comply with. SARs aren't restricted to med docs, either - you can ask for anything from your P File to all data connected to a decision not to send you on a course, for example. A SAR can be made at any time.
  15. I've just got my SAR back from the SPVA, part of it is the computer record, it says "the system shows that your claim to War Pension was received on 7th August 1995" I was MD last year from the Army.

    Page 3 "Principle scheme-NW=New War (1939-1945) :roll:

    Pages 16-17 "This shows details of your service in the RAF"

    So all them years in the Army 1985-2006, I was really in the RAF :banned: