Adm Sir Tony Radakin to be next CDS

And Second will retire at the end of his tenure.

So 1SL is down to Ben and Jerry's.

I'll get me coat.......

And Second will retire at the end of his tenure.

So 1SL is down to Ben and Jerry's.

I'll get me coat.......
It’s Ben Key.

The other two candidates have “withdrawn” by all accounts.

Also any dits on Jerry's next move? Would be sad to see him retire.
there's certainly a massive JK love in from many callsigns - I get it, he's a nice guy (not that I've been in his orbit for over a decade) but is it just a reaction to how unpopular the current 2SL is? I really don't recall this level of wailing and gnashing of teeth when previous stars have missed out/called it a day/ruled themselves out. He's definitely got a social media fan club which seems to stem from the fact that he's been on the telly...

would he do a good job? yes

will the world keep turning without him running the navy? also yes

IMO

Any dits on when Second is due to retire and who the potential candidates are?

Also any dits on Jerry's next move? Would be sad to see him retire.
Plenty of dits on people who’d like to be next 2SL - very little substance though. Off the top of my head I can think of half dozen.

Jerry Kyd did have a very nice job lined up, but not sure it’s in public domain. I like him and have worked for him once, and interacted many more times. He can be old school about some old fashioned stuff, and he does have an edge when necessary, but in the main he’s just a nice straightforward bloke.

As if it worked like that...perhaps the Army should sort out its capabilities and requiremnts ... having been thoroughly trounced by the Naval Service and the RAF.

A perfect example of what’s wrong.

The services should be working together, not against each other and poking sticks in each others’ eyes. Hopefully Adm Tony will enforce some of that.

You crabfat wänker :)

A perfect example of what’s wrong.

The services should be working together, not against each other and poking sticks in each others’ eyes. Hopefully Adm Tony will enforce some of that.

You crabfat wänker :)
yes and no - they should be working together where it makes sense, but I'm not sure that means the RN and RAF should be doing the army's staffwork... In the unlikely event (which almost never happens) that all three services have got their ducks in a row at the same time, I'm sure everyone will be/is delighted, but it doesn't happen often.

The navy's probably been the biggest problem child in the 'who are we and what do we do' stakes post 2002, but has got a grip over the last decade. The army is now on the downswing. It's all cyclical.

yes and no - they should be working together where it makes sense, but I'm not sure that means the RN and RAF should be doing the army's staffwork... In the unlikely event (which almost never happens) that all three services have got their ducks in a row at the same time, I'm sure everyone will be/is delighted, but it doesn't happen often.

The navy's probably been the biggest problem child in the 'who are we and what do we do' stakes post 2002, but has got a grip over the last decade. The army is now on the downswing. It's all cyclical.

i wasn’t being entirely serious :)

Leo93

Clanker
Not sure if this is correct thread for this question. However, what're the main difference between Chief of General Staff and Chief Of Defence Staff? Thanks!

Donny

ADC
CDS is senior to the single service chiefs and is the principal adviser to the Secretary of State for Defence and the PM. CGS, like 1SL and CAS, are responsible for their own service’s contributions to overall defence of the nation.