Adm Sir Tony Radakin to be next CDS

Excellent news in the Telegraph if true:

Exclusive: Navy chief Tony Radakin to be next head of the Armed Forces

First Sea Lord is the first Navy officer to be appointed head of Britain's military since 2001

The First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff has been selected by the Prime Minister as the next head of the Armed Forces, The Telegraph can reveal.

Admiral Sir Tony Radakin will take over from General Sir Nick Carter as Chief of the Defence Staff, making him the first military chief to come from the Navy since Admiral Sir Michael Boyce in 2001.

Sources close to General Sir Patrick Sanders, who was seen as the First Sea Lord’s biggest threat to securing the role and believed to be the Ministry of Defence’s recommendation for the position, confirmed he had not been successful in the race.

They added that he was “relaxed” about the decision.

Downing Street is expected on Thursday to formally announce Boris Johnson's choice of defence chief...

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't do any worse than Carter.

I don't believe I just said that.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maj Gen Holmes clearly didn't consider it to be excellent news.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that tragic situation, Radakin starts his appointment under a cloud.
I must admit that that was my first thought in reading the opening post.

Maj Gen Holmes clearly didn't consider it to be excellent news.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that tragic situation, Radakin starts his appointment under a cloud.
then I'll post once more - and that will be it on this subject because now isn't the time.

the first line of your two lines suggests that the late CGRM killed himself because 1SL has got CDS.

the second line doubles down on that 'whatever the rights and wrongs of that tragic situation' and then trebles down 'starts his appointment under a cloud.'

So, you've made a statement there which you can't possibly know the truth of, then got 'whatever the rights and wrongs' in as cover (out of interest, what if they're all wrongs/you've got it wrong, is there still a cloud?).

Basically, in no particular order, tasteless, graceless, speculative and inflammatory. But obviously you do have the right to your own opinion. Just not your own facts.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
then I'll post once more - and that will be it on this subject because now isn't the time.

the first line of your two lines suggests that the late CGRM killed himself because 1SL has got CDS.

the second line doubles down on that 'whatever the rights and wrongs of that tragic situation' and then trebles down 'starts his appointment under a cloud.'

So, you've made a statement there which you can't possibly know the truth of, then got 'whatever the rights and wrongs' in as cover (out of interest, what if they're all wrongs/you've got it wrong, is there still a cloud?).

Basically, in no particular order, tasteless, graceless, speculative and inflammatory. But obviously you do have the right to your own opinion. Just not your own facts.
Indeed.

I thought that he and Radakin were apparently 'friends'. It's tough for anyone to leave the mob after that amount of time, especially after a successful career has come to an end in circumstances that he didn't like and what he may have seen as a disappointing bookend to his service. Add a painful divorce in there and you just wonder where his friends and confidants were to help. No blame to them but they probably thought (and he probably convinced them) he was fine.

I'm not going to get into a fight with you. You have drawn your own interpretation from my post and we'll leave it at that.

Indeed.

I thought that he and Radakin were apparently 'friends'. It's tough for anyone to leave the mob after that amount of time, especially after a successful career has come to an end in circumstances that he didn't like and what he may have seen as a disappointing bookend to his service. Add a painful divorce in there and you just wonder where his friends and confidants were to help. No blame to them but they probably thought (and he probably convinced them) he was fine.

There was a newspaper article with information / interview with his sister, apparently they spoke on the phone in the previous 24 hours and that he had been getting daily support telephone calls - which would suggest that he was being looked after in some way ??

Archie

Yokel

LE
Royal Navy to get gucci kit at the cost of the Army & RAF now.

I think that the Army has bigger things to worry about - and Admiral Radakin may be able to help.

He’s CDS, not a Force Gen authority.

Although I suspect lots of Generals and Brigadiers will the last incumbents in their jobs…

I think that the Army has bigger things to worry about - and Admiral Radakin may be able to help.

So it seems.

The 75,000-strong Army has begun to sound a bit like that hospital in 'Yes Minister'.

Last edited:

G4Star

Old-Salt
See reports that Admiral Tony Radakin is accused of undermining Major General Matt Holmes.
And this might allegedly have been be a factor towards Matt Holmes recent suicide.
Another top military appointment that looks like its got a top story to it.

As if it worked like that...perhaps the Army should sort out its capabilities and requiremnts ... having been thoroughly trounced by the Naval Service and the RAF.
Yes, and we've been through this on numerous other threads. The idea that we get rid of those responsible for the Ajax debacle, for example. That's already happened: one of the senior ones left recently anyway.

To go and work for GD.

Latest Threads