ADHD and joining up

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bottleosmoke, Jul 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this topic has been covered before but I am after a little advice.

My 16 year old nephew has ADHD and is to be honest a little sh1t, having been kicked out of all the schools / colleges he has been forced to attend.

He has shown interest in joining up and I for one think it is just what he needs. He is a very bright kid but just a general nightmare when it comes to education etc. However I think he will respond to Military discipline.

He is on the usual medication for this disorder.

Will his ADHD stop him from joining up? Im asking on here first as I dont want a wasted trip to ACIO and the inevitable battering to his confidence that rejection there would bring.

So any recruiters out there that can help me with this?

Cheers guys and girls.

2. ADHD....that will be that wonder of medical science that allows litlle turds to go round smashing windows and acting in a general chav infested pikey way,then when asked to account for their yobo behaviour turn round and say "Its ADHD,sorry,im on medication"
    Thats ok then son off you trot and carry on acting an arse.
    Army...christ i hope not

3. I reckon the routine more than the discipline could help. I was a right little nutter at school and got suspended numerous times and expelled once. Retrospectively, I probably was an ADHD kid. Every symptom fits, but the solid routine in training fitted me really well, as well as the very clear disciplinary mechanisms, and I sailed through. I'm now sitting right up at the top of the Sgts Mess food chain (no not head chef!), despite a perpetual battle with the old behavioural traits. My CR says it all - whirling dervish (yes, two different reporting officers from different units said the same, wierd huh?), hyperactive, energetic, dynamic. They never say logical, solid and methodical , cos it would be a lie! The key has been routine, as well as decent bosses and a strict wife :wink: to keep me on the straight and narrow.

4. It is a medical in confidence thing that (when I was ) a Recruiting Sgt couldnt say No you cant enlist t the applicant. However after having quite a few applicants with the disorder all cases are dealt wit on an individual basis. The med sister told me that they have to be off the medication for at least one year (some time two) as a minimum and have no further treatment by the GP.
    On the up side though I had a couple of lads who were originally deferred but after they had no further treatment or symptoms went onto do selection and one of them did extremely well and is now a fine soldier.

5. My cousin was told that so long he had been off the medication for 2 years, he was ok to join.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Absolutely ditto. Total wnaker almost all the time, fighting, playing up, getting in trouble, way too much energy, getting expelled from schools (plural), but NEVER had any problems when serving. Get the lad off medication, he really doesn't need it and get him signed up. Civvy life won't be half as good for him. Army life will use that energy and redirect his thought processes to useful activity.

7. Cheers guys. I will speak to my sis about the medication issue.

8. I'm being a complete c*ok but could anyone tell me what ADHD stands for, I'm baffled.

cheers

David

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

And if this is a wah I'll hunt you down and kill you.

10. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder os something like that.

Basically its a medical get out for kids who are liitle sh1tes!

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Sh1t I think you've just written my CV

12. ADHD doesn't exist. When i was a kid it was called bad behaviour.

Now they have a "condition" that needs "Treatment" and "Understanding" straight out of the nanny state top drawer.

Having come across a large amount of "sufferers" of ADHD i'm quite confident that most of them use it as an excuse for not knowing how to behave. I'm sure there are some who do have a genuine reason for their behaviour but i'm sure that 98% of cases are just plain and simply poorly behaved louts who have no comprehension of decent behaviour.

Does he have a criminal record as a result of his behaviour? (just out of curiosity)

13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Gosh. A copper and a Doctor? Do you get two salaries or is the policing a spare time thing?

14. It's part of the new Home Office drive to get us to earn last years 3% rise. We've been doing social work for about 5 years now. It's only logical that we take over the medical profession, at least the mental side.

15. Despite the understandable cynicism ADHD is all too real, unfortunately it has also opened the floodgates for every inadequate parent without the ability to control their kids an excuse which the medical profession seem all too willing to support. That said your nephew's problems could be significant. Ritilin is an amphetamine and needs to be progressively reduced whilst the lad continues to work on his coping strategies, the Army may then insist that he is clear of its use for between 1 - 2 years. The good news is that some of the more serious symptoms of ADHD: inability to concentrate for any period of time (10 mins is the normal max for sufferers) and little need for sleep (my son never slept for more than 4 hours between 7yrs and 16!) decrease post adolescence.

His biggest problems are likely to be sitting down and completing the entrance test and sitting through the interviews without looking like a demented flea on crack cocaine.

The good news is its possible, my son went from being just a boisterous kid at 7 to the Omen's child from hell at 11 and then on to get 11 GCSE's at grade A-C mostly A & B. No ritilin for nearly 3 years and he's a good kid more mature than many of his age, normal you might say, at least as normal as any 19 year old who doesn't need to sleep for more than about 4 or 5 hours a day.