aden war..

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ryman2010, May 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my grandfather fought in Aden. He never really spoke about it to me and had passed on now. Is there any way i can find out his service number or what medals he recieved during his career? He served in Queens.
    thanks

2. "The Barren Rocks of Aden" might be a start.

3. thankyou, no luck with the first two.
    trying the small wars one now

4. Ryman try the Aden Veterans Association. Somebody on there might be able to help.

5. I now feel really old, Aden was my first posting straight from basic training 1967.I am still serving albeit FTRS

• Like Like x 1
  6. Your tour must have been pretty short as we pulled out in November '67.

Having said that, I also feel rather old. I was there in '66.

7. You think you're old? I'd just finished trade training when I was posted there! :soldier:

8. March - Sep 1967 1st Bn South Wales Borderers (24 foot) mainly in Maalla. Five months but long enough to get my knees brown.

9. There is a solitary name on the War Memorial at Spilsby to a lad killed in Aden.

10. i hear that Aden was a very grim war, obviously no war is pretty. but i have been told this one was bad. no that much online about it tbh.

11. It wasn't nice. The Suffolks were patrolling the crater - street clearance IIRC. There's a display in the Land Vehicles museum at Duxford.
    I was attached to 64 Commando up country and was involved in the Cap Badge Op.
    Try searching for Radforce or read 'Aden Insurgency: The Savage War in South Arabia 1962–1967' by Jonathan Walker if you want to know more.

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

As a pad brat who lived in Ma'alla from March 65 to March 67 I have a slightly different perspective from you who were serving, but having read various books since, and talked to the Aden Veterans at last year's Weymouth Festival, you all have my greatest admiration.

And did you know that it was the UK forces stationed in Aden who gave the English Language the word 'flip-flop'? Thought you'd like that ;-)

13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I bought my first pair of flip-flops (so named) in Singaore in 1956. But maybe Pongoes took time to catch up.