"Address"? "Issues"? May we speak English?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by caubeen, May 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else share my irritation at the incessant use of these curious terms - "Address" and "Issues" - when what's clearly intended is "tackle" or "deal with" and "problems" or "difficulties"?

This blandished and bastardised misuse of the English language is a symptom of Political Correctness, and ought not to be supported by clear-thinking soldiers.

Views and thoughts?

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Oxford Dictionary Online

Try again. 1/10.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This is almost as bad as being at Grans house, 3 generations of schoolteachers in the family made letterwriting a trial. I used to get my letters back marked in red ink.
    I do still agree though, the internet and text speak are corrupting our language!

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Also:

What the hell is that? If you are going to start a thread that criticises how a language is used, the very least you could do is not make up words that don't exist.

Half a mark docked.

0.5/10. See Me.

5. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

That's Caubeen back in the box, then. Good extracts, Fugly.

We use proper English here, innit!

6. Report for OFSTED inspection immediately.

7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Damn! Didn't edit it quick enough, I knew someone would pounce on that!

8. There are indeed some issues that need to be addressed here. To do this we need blue sky thinking, we need to think outside the box and not be put off by curve balls.

We should be all singing from the same hymn sheet, taking into account all the overarching and underpinning paradigms of our corporate message. Once an idea has been run up the flagpole let's see who salutes and then pluck all the low-hanging fruit we can.

Innit?

9. blue-sophist

When the vernacular becomes hackneyed the good get going ... or something like that.

Originality virtually expired with Oscar Wilde. The rest of us grab what crumbs we can from rich men's tables.

Etc. etc.

10. Issue (verb and noun) means to come out of, come forth, appear, come to issue - - and that which comes forth, comes to issue.

Address (verb) means (primarily) to turn oneself, one's attention to.

An "issue" (noun) may or may not be a problem, worry or difficulty.

If we "address" or "address ourselves to" it, we tackle or deal with or consider it.

Traditionally, one only addresses one of three things - a letter, an audience/congregation, or a golf-ball. That is good usage. Otherwise we consider/tackle/deal with the "matter at issue".

Anythink else is post-'80s Orwellian Newspeak, typified by Blair.

11. blue-sophist

You are putting "tradition" against the OED?
    Interesting viewpoint, sir!

12. Bland. Blandness. Why not blandished - i.e. rendered/made bland? Just like everything the Blair generation has touched.

Except the clear-thinking armed services. Or elements thereof . . . . .

If a new adjective has just emerged, let it stand. It is etymologically impeccable.

13. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Traditional language over the Oxford English Dictionary? Back to Latin then. Unfortunately, mine is terrible.

Except for Romanes eunt domus.

Or should that be Romani ite domum?!!

14. The OED - new, Blair-ite version - is bollix. Have you seen the people they employ, FFS??

Etymology of ADDRESS : Middle English adressen, to direct, from Old French adresser, from Vulgar Latin *addrctire : Latin ad-, ad- + Vulgar Latin *drctire, to straighten (from Latin drctus , past participle of drigere, to direct

Ditto of ISSUE : Middle English, from Old French eissue, issue, from Vulgar Latin *exta, alteration of Latin exita, feminine past participle of exre, to go out : ex-, ex- + re, to go.

Case rested, M'Lud . . . . . . .

15. "Pear-shaped" is a very vivid term I'd never encountered until I joined the army. :D

"Do-able" is bollix. :x Why not "possible; achievable"? :?

"At the end of the day" is merely an unsuccessful pause for breath, and for thoughts that have already gone pear-shaped - see above. 8) 8)