Addition to TA Medical

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Innuit, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently completed my TA medical which resulted in the GP determining I was colour blind. Following on from this I now have to undergo a Slip Lamp Test. Does anyone know what this involves? I've tried searching the net without much information cropping up.

Any advice greatly recieved
  2. msr

msr LE

It's a Slit Lamp Test:

Slit lamp test

The slit lamp examination is rather like looking right into your eyes through a powerful microscope. In fact, the instrument used is called a biomicroscope and it allows your optometrist to get a close look at the internal structures of the eye. The eyelids, cornea, iris, conjunctiva, retina, optic nerve and macula are among the things that can be seen with a biomicroscope, and cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease and corneal ulcers can all be detected using this test

3. A big microscope that the opticians gander through to determine the severity of the problem.
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Hmmmm.... are you sure that you're not actually going to do the Holmes-Wright Lantern Test instead? The Slip Lamp is used to determine the health of your eyes by allowing the health-care worker an extremely close up up view of every part of your eye and has nothing to do with testing/grading Colour Perception.

The H-W Lantern on the other hand displays a couple of lights which will be either white, green or red. The person undergoing the test has to identify the colour of the lights. There are two different types of H-W Lantern, Type A (used by the Armed Forces) and Type B (used by the Merchant Navy).

The Army uses the Lantern on those that fail the initial test with the Ishihara Plates in order to determine if they are CP3 or 4. It is also used to determine CP1 status for those trades that require it.

The Colour Perceptiveness grades are as follows:

CP2 - Normal (Passes Ishihara 24 Pseudo-Isochromatic Plate Colour Vision Test)

CP3 - Colour Safe (Fails Ishihara but passes Holmes-Wright Type A Lantern Test)

CP4 - Colour Not Safe (Fails both Ishihara and H-W)
  5. If CP2 is normal, what trades require CP1?
  6. msr

msr LE

X-Ray vision ;)

7. Is that like when you are graded P1 on PULLHEEMS and get sent to Limpingstone instead of Catterick?
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

CP1 isn't used by the Army. According to PAP 2007 & JSP346 the trades that are restricted by Colour Perception are as follows:

9. msr

msr LE

I think you need to get out more ;)

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

No, no you don't understand. This is truly fascinating stuff! :D

I did a stint at an ACIO for my sins. It makes a geek out of the best of us.
  11. Hey lads,

Does anyone have this info for the RA, or RAC? I don't see them mentioned in any of RP578s very informative posts?

I've finished arselicking now :twisted:
  12. They don't need it. The Army hasn't got any red guns or red tanks.

Now there's a blast from the past - "Red Tank".
  13. If only it were that simple! More than a few lads have been caught out for not making the colour vision grade for crewman (tanks and gunners) because of the shells, apparently.
  14. If this reply looks blank, you're fucked
  15. Ah, but the "shells" excuse is an appeasement. It's more to do with recognising which way round the tank is - red lights at the back, white at the front.