Adding Your Corps As Post Nominals

I’ve noticed over the past couple of years there has been an increasing trend for WO to start adding their Corps as post nominals.

I know it originates in the Officer Corps in order to distinguish between the services and therefore rank (Lt RN as opposed to LT RA for example) and has been used by singleton posts out of Corps (Filling an RSM’s post out of parent Corps).

But why on earth would it become the norm?

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
I don't regard it as "the norm". The only time I recall doing it is on letters of introduction to future COs.

It is quite common in signature blocks though. I find it helpful to know what cap-badge someone is, to be honest.

ironr4tions

Old-Salt
I’ve noticed over the past couple of years there has been an increasing trend for WO to start adding their Corps as post nominals...But why on earth would it become the norm?

It's a trend. That's how they work.

Soon it will be mandatory.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I don't regard it as "the norm". The only time I recall doing it is on letters of introduction to future COs.

It is quite common in signature blocks though. I find it helpful to know what cap-badge someone is, to be honest.

But if you are writing to a CO in your Corps it's redundant and if not then it would have been obvious in the text your letter.

yes, but it's a very formal letter - and technically, WOs should put their cap-badge after their name in formal writing. or so I believe.

As far as I'm aware technically they don't (shouldn't). It's only officers who do for the reason above.

Unless anyone can show otherwise.

Dunno but we always put our rank when signing reports, so I went from signing myself Lcpl RE to WO2 RE Through the ranks in between.

During my field sergeants course it was mandatory to sign reports with your name followed by Sgt RE.

It is useful to the reader, I suppose, to know that the report they are reading was written as a qualified statement of facts rather than an opinion.

Oyibo

LE
Agreed with Eodmatt. It's no different than a signature block in civvy street which says who you are and what you do.

Can you show (prove) that officers should?

I'm quite confident that you can. There's more than enough open source anecdotal evidence (concious that it's not real proof, but I don't keep a copy of QRs at home). You will never see an officer formally referred to without his corps, service or in the case of senior Army officers "late RA" etc.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The important question though is "Does it matter?"

spaz

LE
I'm quite confident that you can. There's more than enough open source anecdotal evidence (concious that it's not real proof, but I don't keep a copy of QRs at home). You will never see an officer formally referred to without his corps, service or in the case of senior Army officers "late RA" etc.

As you say not real proof but obviously adding value to do so as it clarifies who and what people are.

Personally the only time I do it is in formal letters of introduction but I agree the content of the letter in most cases should make it unnecessary.

My email signature carries my rank and appointment (specific to my capbadge). To me this clearly adds value as I often correspond with individuals and organisations who 1, have never met me 2, would benefit from knowing my area of expertise (stop sniggering at the back).

If I didn't feel it would add any value or make life easier in some small way, then I wouldn't bother to do it.

I imagine the answer to your original question is along similar lines rather than uppity WO's trying to big time it.

Well, yes it does sometimes. Which is why it's customary to do it in the Corps of Royal. Engineers where it isn't an affectation but a necessity

I agree with Matt, I believe that it does matter, diligence and standards etc.

Next you'll be wearing a black bow tie with a wing tip collar shirt......where will it all end? If we're not careful it will lead to the collapse of society.

However the RE are a bad example as they have a history of doing things their own (incorrect) way, take the naming of the Mess and demoting WO2s to SSMs

Latest Threads