Adding a release-authorised email button to outlook taskbar

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by CrashTestDummy, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title suggests;

When I set up Outlook on Dii I was shown how to create a toolbar button to create a release-authorised email, but I've forgotten how to do it.

Any Outlook gurus out there?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Thanks sunami, but that doesn't seem to work with the Dii version of Outlook I've got (no macros).

3. Open notebook and type 'Release-authorised'. Save.

Just ctrl C and ctrl v every time you need it.

No charge.

4. There's a much more elegant solution, and I found it all by my own self.

Aren't I a clever boy then! :-D

5. Can you remind me then? I was trying to do it last week and can't for the life of me remember how. I'm an LSO as well and must have set up 50 of them for the lads at first.

6. View|Toolbar|Customize|Commands

Drag the Mail Message button from the Commands box and drop it on the Toolbar next to |New| (or wherever you want it). Keep the Customize window open and right click on the Mail Message button you just dropped. You'll be presented with a drop-down menu (I changed the name to "Release-authorised: ), |Edit Hyperlink|New|Link to:|E-mail address| and type mailto: in the E-mail address box and Release-authorised: in the Subject box.

OK the Hyperlink box and xlose the Customize box.

If you fcuk it up (as I did many times) open the |Toolbar|Customize| option again and whilst it's open you can delete your cockups.

HTH

7. Do remember to stess to your users not to routinely click the shortcut button for every email, only those that are meant to go out
    By adding 'release-authorised:' you are sending the email outside even if there is not an external address, they then get routed out and back in

The phrase is intended to make you pause for a moment and actually think about what you are sending and where/who to

8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Can the MODs read it if it's "release-authorised"?

9. msr

msr LE

Really? If the MOD mail server is the mail server for the mod.uk domain, where does it send it out to?

m-s-r

10. I bet ESS are in on the deal somewhere...... :-(

11. The trouble with long winded, annoying and contrived things that are designed to make people think twice before doing something stupid, is that people very soon become 'numb' to them, design local short-cuts and bypass them. Or even just ignore the well meaning but obvious advice and do it anyway.

How many qualified drivers have ignored the sticker on the dash, the 'watermarked' works ticket, then opened the fuel cover with the key on the emblazoned key ring to reveal the sticker also marked 'DIESEL', and filled with petrol anyway?

(It was a rhetorical question, to which the answer is 'lots', but it does emphasise my point..)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. it isn't, by default: the default mail server is actually defence.gsi.gov.uk. Mod.uk is the www mail server. I vaguely recall that by using the release phrase the routing will default to the www mail server, even if a GSI route is available (at up to Rest.)

13. Yeah, you could do it that way.

Make sure you do them for often used 'CC' email addresses too. You can change and edit the symbol. I have a yellow letter for 'release-authorised' and a green one for the Sqn SNCOs.

It's how (switched on) clerks do the orders bulk send.