Addicts Revealed - fess up

I'm not hooked, I can give up any time...

• Clive Cussler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sven Hassel

• Terry Pratchett

• Judge Dredd/2000AD

• Tom Clancy

• Patrick O'Brien

• The Flashman Chronicles

• Spike Milligan

• Bunty

• Total voters
Whiskybreath said:
Ah, in any good QM's store, the 'offog' is in the rack next to the 'spadgas' (vide Sustainer, BAR, whenever).

But, :( apart from Stanislaw Lem (and possibly Banks), Gravelbelly, the rest of your list is a mystery to me. Perhaps they're Johnny-come-latelies from the 80s and 90s. Youth. "Science Fantasy", not the Real Thing.
At least you didn't mention E.E."Doc" Smith... Three books into the Lensman stuff, and he'd exhausted every superlative in the thesaurus! It's not called pulp fiction for nothing :)

I think I gave up after the third or fourth book in the "Circus performers from a high-G planet who are really operators for the Galactic Empire's security services" . Even as a 14-year-old, I thought it had pushed beyond the remotest bounds of plausibility... I now discover from wikipedia that these were actually written by Stephen Goldin.

So, so if Walter Miller is too obvious, how about Zenna Henderson's "People" stories, James Schmitz "Witches of Karres", or Stanley Weinbaum's "Martian Odyssey"?

No. If the raw, incandescent energy of their Interossiters doesn't coruscate, twist and raven the very fabric of space, it's lacking vitamins.

For serious fanatics, of course, proper boffins the likes of George Gamow and Leo Szilard can't be beat. They had the inside gen on coruscation, ravening etc, which made their tall tales all the more scary.

(Edit: Walter Miller: yes, good choice. I didn't mention Theodore Sturgeon...).

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whiskybreath said:
AlienFTM said:
Patrick O'Brien
Who? Do I need to read this? Wor Lass is pestering me for some additions to my Amazon wish list (many of which are out of print) for Christmas. Tips?
(Edited for mongtype)
1. Patrick O'Brian.
2. Yes.
3. Start at the Beginning (Master and Commander) and work through the canon until your eyes turn sea-green. Don't worry, the film recently made by some unsubtle, bowdlerizing American types bore little resemblance to the original which is much longer, astonishingly characterized, brilliantly researched and written, and highly addictive. If you do not take this advice, you will regret it for all of your life and die a poverty-stricken man.

Alternatively, ask the lass to get you the latest formulaic Terry Pratchett for Christmas (Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...)

(Edit: Sorry, Carcass, didn't see your post there before I started my rant. Got there before me...)
1. Furry muff.
2. Then I shall file away this snippet under "Books to be requested when asked, "What present do you want?'"
3. I didn't actually have any problem with the fillum, but your points are noted.
4. Don't need to. Whenever TP releases a book there is a massive fight between Wor Lass and Me Nipper to buy it, she for him for Christmas; he because he saw it in Waterstones and bought it on spec.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
WRLounger said:
VThank goodness, she didn't look in the other box and find the complete SS Wotan series by Leo Kessler (whose absence from the above list did suprise me a little)!
A year or two back whilst mooching round a second-hand bookshop in Wales (stumbling across volumes 1 - 4 of The Zone in the process and being absolutely delighted) I found a Leo Kessler book. Not SS Wotan - some Sturminfanterie thing set a Kasserine Pass - and reminded myself just how shiite his work is, even under the alias of Charles Whiting. His absence from the list surprised me not a jot.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
PassingBells said:
Alistair Maclean,
Agreed

Hammond Innes
annot comment. I do remember there being one or two on the bookshelves at home when I was young.

and Ian Fleming not on the list.
Agreed. The books were vastly superior to the formulaic fillums. Shame they were so 1950s.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
FrankCastle said:
[Yeah, but even better was the scene where "Bush" got his brains(?!)blown all over the General and the First Lady!

Oh, if only Life really could imitate Art... :twisted:
What about JFK, who had been trying to stop Commie expansionism into Cuba - after his own fiasco - having his brains blown all over the Governor of Texas (Yes? Name of Connolly. There's enough webstuff if I could be bothered - was reading it just a few weeks ago on the anniversary) and the First Lady.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
PassingBells said:
Suddenly I feel old.

Douglas Adams
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Philip K Dick
Frank Herbert
Jules Verne
H G Wells
Just for you: Saturday 22 December (according to the TV Wotsit: more accurately Sunday 23 December) 0000 - 0200, Sky Movies Premiere: A Scanner Darkly (US/2006)

(Screening 22 - 28 December)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Whiskybreath said:
Ah, in any good QM's store, the 'offog' is in the rack next to the 'spadgas' (vide Sustainer, BAR, whenever).
I have previously mentioned in this forum that courtesy of Abe Books I recently found a good condition omnibus of the entire A Armstrong Warriors collection, dated about 1940.

Aah where would we be without the Spadgas?