Addicts Revealed - fess up

I'm not hooked, I can give up any time...

• Clive Cussler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sven Hassel

• Terry Pratchett

• Judge Dredd/2000AD

• Tom Clancy

• Patrick O'Brien

• The Flashman Chronicles

• Spike Milligan

• Bunty

• Total voters
AlienFTM said:
Patrick O'Brien
Who? Do I need to read this? Wor Lass is pestering me for some additions to my Amazon wish list (many of which are out of print) for Christmas. Tips?
Patrick O'Brian (with an a, not Brien)

Wrote 'Master And Commander' (that film what Russell Crowe was in). That's probably a good book to start on. Think Hornblower but a fair bit harder going. His books are a bit like Marmite - half of people get totally addicted and have to read them all in series and half give up by page 50. I was one of the former.

They're great books but like I said, you can't just skim them; they're PROPER novels.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
AlienFTM said:
TThe Flashman Chronicles
I love the works of GMF. Okay MacAuslan and Quartered Safe Out Here (my uncle Jack died up the Irriwaddy with 2 Borders in 1944). I think I have always avoided Flashman because my brother rates them so highly. Maybe now is a good time.
Now on my Amazon wish list and Ayesha (She Who Must Be Obeyed - H Ryder Haggard) is on the case - woohoo

Not long finished off John Grishams books, some are excellant but they do get a little predictable.
For pure escapism i dont think you can beat The Belgariad by David Eddings but the books i tend to read most are Bill Brysons, perfect if you have a job that entails being bored for any lengh of time, iv got copies in the car (the amount of times thats saved me from window licking while waiting for mrs pidge to finish shopping is just unreal), the works van and even a copy in my kit bag, there's not a lot worse than being stuck on the throne with nothing to read but the backs of shampoo bottles.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Someone mentioned the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I concur. Not great literature, but very enjoyable and easy to read.
Dean Koontz too, especially Tick-Tock and Intensity. And Bloke named James Rollings. Heroes are pants, but good info in them for anyone who likes mythology and ancient history.

AlienFTM said:
Patrick O'Brien
Who? Do I need to read this? Wor Lass is pestering me for some additions to my Amazon wish list (many of which are out of print) for Christmas. Tips?
(Edited for mongtype)
1. Patrick O'Brian.
2. Yes.
3. Start at the Beginning (Master and Commander) and work through the canon until your eyes turn sea-green. Don't worry, the film recently made by some unsubtle, bowdlerizing American types bore little resemblance to the original which is much longer, astonishingly characterized, brilliantly researched and written, and highly addictive. If you do not take this advice, you will regret it for all of your life and die a poverty-stricken man.

Alternatively, ask the lass to get you the latest formulaic Terry Pratchett for Christmas (Hahahahahahahahahahahaha...)

(Edit: Sorry, Carcass, didn't see your post there before I started my rant. Got there before me...)

Cussler, Bernard Cornwell, Rankine and Patricia Cornwell. But at the moment am doing a lot of reading on the Knights Templar, fact, not fiction.
And occasionally, a bit of Pratchett thrown in.

saintstone said:
Cussler, Bernard Cornwell, Rankine and Patricia Cornwell. But at the moment am doing a lot of reading on the Knights Templar, fact, not fiction.
And occasionally, a bit of Pratchett thrown in.
The Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple of Soloman are a fascinating subject; fcuking Nails on the battlefield, and the first people in Western world to set up a banking credit system. 8O

David Gemmel. Hmm. I appear to be missing a trick here. What's he written as I've not read anything by him?

brewmeister said:
David Gemmel. Hmm. I appear to be missing a trick here. What's he written as I've not read anything by him?
Gemmel died last year. His wife finished the last book he was working on from notes he had left.

Gemmel wrote at least a couple of dozen Fantasy novels, includng Legend, Last Sword of Power, Chronicles of Druss, Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow, Bloodstone, Morningstar and many others.

Well worth a read. :D

just read Lord of the Silver Bow and Sheild of Thunder these are set around the Trojan wars and are more sword and sandal epic movie style than the fanasty he was better known for. Good read none the less and he describes some of the well known charaters in a very different light than they are portraded in most versions of the Legends :D

Patrick O Brian - came to him later in life and was hooked straight off. Loved the language and descriptions of late 18th century society and sea life. Liked the other stuff he wrote as well.

Visited the folks not so long ago and was asked, politely, to clear my remaining stock of books from loft. Future Lady WRL was present and wanted to have a look at said books. Naturally she was a little disturbed by discovering the entire Sven Hassel collection and positively recoiled with disgust when she picked up "SS General" and read a random page out.

Thank goodness, she didn't look in the other box and find the complete SS Wotan series by Leo Kessler (whose absence from the above list did suprise me a little)!

Anyway the Kessler and Hassel stage is now well behind me and I've moved through Pratchett (hilarious at first, a little formulaic later), Tom Holt (very much the same, didn't finish his last one "You don't have to be evil...") but my current guilty filthy little secret is Michael Connelly, which I would certainly recommend for a little bit of escapism which doesn't involve killing Ivan or wizards.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Years ago I discovered a guy named John Winton. Wrote books about the navy. Comedies mostly, especially 'We joined the Navy' and 'We went to Sea'. A bit like The Navy Lark in many ways. One was filmed, with Kenneth More starring in it. Bit old fashioned now, but worth a read.

Michael Connoly I rather enjoy, especially the Harry Bosch stories, as I do with Harlan Coben. Good thrillers.

The good thing about Grisham is that once you've read one book you've read them all. One trick pony.

If you want something a bit different try Haruki Murakami. Japanesse, odd but very good books.

There are some good ones about the crusades out at the mo, they all seem to be based on the Templars though.

Simon R Green for sci-fi/blood & guts fantasy and some dark humour. The Haven books for City Watch with added blood, the Deathstalker series for space opera with lots of added blood. Did I mention the blood? Sheer escapism.

(All right, Patrick O'Brian. One friggin' typo and the spelling stasi turn up.... :roll: )

Werewolf said:
The Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple of Soloman are a fascinating subject; fcuking Nails on the battlefield, and the first people in Western world to set up a banking credit system.
Any recommended material here mate?