ADC Not Good

Hi all
I'm nearly finishing my 4th year as an ADC employee, and rapidly running out of days so much that April pay will be two thirds less than what i normally get.
I realise the contract is for 207 days 180 ADC + 27 MTD, however i'm having to cover 3 PID's in my unit due to shortage of staff (No FTRS Q).
Could it be possible to apply for extra days due to the number of PID's that i am covering.

So you're doing other people jobs due to gapping? That never happens in civvy street.

ADC isn't there to support you and let you earn a living, its there to support the unit. If you don't like it then get a real job that pays properly all year round. Otherwise, get a part time job to backfill the ADC. You can't have your cake and eat it.

As above and apply for a FTRS job via the RAOL site?

So you're doing other people jobs due to gapping? That never happens in civvy street.

ADC isn't there to support you and let you earn a living, its there to support the unit. If you don't like it then get a real job that pays properly all year round. Otherwise, get a part time job to backfill the ADC. You can't have your cake and eat it.
I love attitudes like this. Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside that someone cares......

Find a proper job, dump the ADC and tell your unit to F**k off when they want you to come in to cover for the 4 empty posts.

I love attitudes like this. Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside that someone cares......

Find a proper job, dump the ADC and tell your unit to F**k off when they want you to come in to cover for the 4 empty posts.
He's right though. If the unit needed that much support they'd put him on FTRS. So much for their leadership.

I agree. My point is that ADC contracts are not supposed to be a source of full time employment. When they're used like this they ruin the Army Reserve for those of us with real jobs who can't be in all the time. Guess who will get promoted first out of Mr 28 days or Mr ADC, when in many cases Mr ADC doesn't have a family to support or is in a situation where he can commit that many days for a poor wage return.

If the unit need the people that badly, they should employ them. Full time part time is a joke.

Don't you have any other work you could do to earn a few quid? Do you rely solely on the Reserves for income?

There was a lad at my unit that joined the TA (as it was back then) pretty much straight after he left the regular army.

Slid into a nice little office number doing recruitment and went on to an ADC contract.

Was handy for him as he lived pretty much round the corner from the TAC.

Only problem was, he never really took up a civvie job.

So, in essence, hes never really left the army. Just gets paid a lot less than when he was regular.

Has no real civvie job to take up, and earns minimal wages on an ADC.

I can't see the appeal if I'm honest.

Just my £0.02's worth.

Don't you have any other work you could do to earn a few quid? Do you rely solely on the Reserves for income?

There was a lad at my unit that joined the TA (as it was back then) pretty much straight after he left the regular army.

Slid into a nice little office number doing recruitment and went on to an ADC contract.

Was handy for him as he lived pretty much round the corner from the TAC.

Only problem was, he never really took up a civvie job.

So, in essence, hes never really left the army. Just gets paid a lot less than when he was regular.

Has no real civvie job to take up, and earns minimal wages on an ADC.

I can't see the appeal if I'm honest.

Just my £0.02's worth.
I'd say across the reserves that's very common, and happens more often than you think.

I feel for you.

The 'Army' has no loyality to you, and is using ADC to avoid having to employ some one, the same way I employ temps at work.

I personally refuse to to do any VTOD or ADC work, as I have a job, and I am in reserve of the regular Army, not cheap labour.

I tell the young lads at my unit to either join the regular Army, go on a tour (or FTRS), or get a job.
Unless you are a student who is trying to get a few extra quid while at uni

I loved it when I was a TA Tp Comd & had several Dole Patrol in my Tp, including the Tp Sgt. This was in the days of no real cap on MTDs, so they would be in most of the week & all our vehicles & equipment immaculate & packed for weekends.

It was also helpful that one was a semi-employed painter & decorator. The messes & the JRC were ready for a Royal visit at pretty much any time...