Adams wins Dail Seat - Good Riddance!

I do remember Mary Lou running in one of the Dublin seats last time around, which prompted talk at the time of her as a possible successor. Do you know if she ran again this time? I agree that Gerry may not be so secure in his position as SF leader, especially as he will be expected to stand up and speak in the Dail and debate with experienced politicians about all the harsh problems that the Republic still has to deal with. Unlike in NI, he won't be able to hide behind the language of the troubles which he did when dealing with the Unionists or the British Government. Once he starts looking stupid in the Dail then the sharks will start to circle amongst the younger SF members.

He was mocked already last week while giving an interview. He equated the USC (universal social charge) with terrorism ....oh how we laughed....

Edit, fond the exact quote.
"“act of gross terrorism” G Adams...clown

How long will it take,before he pisses off those south of the border? And there's the matter of S Wright(a relative) and one of the 'disappeared''.Mention that to him,and watch the reaction!

I think it's Patrick Sheehan who is the shinner walk in of choice. Same guy was hitched to the late Siobahn O Hanlon who had a really interesting history.
Mr Sheehan (unlike Gerry) has been in the IRA, and Jail.

One of the orginal hunger strikers I believe and a blanketman, I doubt Sinn Fein will lose West Belfast.

But go Gerry, go forth to your Ireland and take the rest of your murdering bastards, you call your mates with you, you can tell them you delivered a vision of your Ireland.

John Civie

Old-Salt
Talking to NI friends theyre of the opinion that the future of ireland is as it is now any attempt at reunification and there will be tears which most people understand but the extreamist elements still try to cause trouble.
Plus i know a lad who lives on the border and apparantly those in the republic realy take advanteges of the seperate north apparantly its not unusual for them to be ill on the northern side of the border to use the NHS and since the recession began apparantly the supermarkets in the north get thousands of people from the south in every week to take advantage of lower prices compared to shopping in the south

B

Boozy

Talking to NI friends theyre of the opinion that the future of ireland is as it is now any attempt at reunification and there will be tears which most people understand but the extreamist elements still try to cause trouble.

There would be all out civil war.

Plus i know a lad who lives on the border and apparantly those in the republic realy take advanteges of the seperate north apparantly its not unusual for them to be ill on the northern side of the border to use the NHS and since the recession began apparantly the supermarkets in the north get thousands of people from the south in every week to take advantage of lower prices compared to shopping in the south

That works both ways to be fair... A lot of Norn Ironers take trips across the border to fill up their petrol and diesel tanks.

There is nothing to "re-unify" We gave up any claim to the place plus we can't afford it now or in the future.....and half a million disgruntled unionist's/loyalists we could never police it.

Most people here think of the North as a different place.....It might as well be Birmingham.

B

Boozy

Most people here think of the North as a different place.....It might as well be Birmingham.

And it's the same with us in the North when we think of the Republic... I know more about the geography of Scotland than I do about south of the border (well anything beyond Donegal or Monaghan to be fair is a complete mystery).

The North and the South are very culturally different places, even if you remove the political and religious thing from the frame you still end up with two very different sets of people and there always have been differences in North and South even since before partition.

B

Boozy

Load of balls!A Paddy is a Paddy, what ever part of Ireland he is from.That includes the Orange Paddys who claim they are British.

The Good Friday Ageement give us the right to define ourselves as British and/or Irish (optional). It's not a 'claim', it's a democratic right. Anyone from Ireland north or south is a paddy to mainland GBers but then they can't tell the difference in the first place anyway.

And Yes Mary Lou got back in.

Mary Lou did get back in from Dublin Central and so far 12 SF are elected which would double their numbers IIRC. Appears the Greens have lost all their seats. I was talking with a friend who is a Senior Tutor at UCD and he said biggest loser is Fianna Fáil. He feels they should remove the should remove the síneadh fada (i.e. accent) from the second word in the party's name.

B

Boozy

Mary Lou did get back in from Dublin Central and so far 12 SF are elected which would double their numbers IIRC. Appears the Greens have lost all their seats. I was talking with a friend who is a Senior Tutor at UCD and he said biggest loser is Fianna Fáil. He feels they should remove the should remove the síneadh fada (i.e. accent) from the second word in the party's name.

I saw someone misspell it on facebook as "Fine Fail" whether intentional or not it was fairly apt!

A paddy may be a paddy but the differances are there just as they are in England or Scotland. Working in Cork in the late 80's a workmate refered to Dublin as the black north. I knew he was paraphrasing an old cliche but the sentiment remained the same.
In England I live next door to a dirty theaving scouse bastard but we get on ok despite his cultural handicaps.
Irelands a lot smaller now than in the 80's. you see republic numberplates on the streets of Belfast. Northern trucks way down south and all the potatoes are yummy. Keep an eye on gerry and his mates though they miss the bad times when they could play the big men.

Has Adams resigned ( Chiltern Hundreds etc.) from the British parliament yet? I thought there was some problem with him refusing to(?) If he is still a Member there can be no by-election, hence, no replacement.

Mel.Gibson

Clanker
as per usual,shinners go for the knacker/shit shoveler vote
Gerry got elected in louth;im pretty sure there's more sheep than people in Louth...FFS!

thankfully all the other parties know a coalition with them would be a publicity disaster
so they wont be in any coalition government...this time.

I'm glad Labour have done well

Latest Threads