Actress Susannah York has died, aged 72

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by the_boy_syrup, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

She was the blue-eyed English rose with the china-white skin and cupid lips who epitomised the sensuality of the swinging Sixties. Sexy and demure by turn, Susannah York, who died yesterday from cancer at 72, held a generation of male admirers in her thrall.

Her wide-ranging career, which won her both a Bafta and an Oscar nomination, oscillated between powerful portrayals of either the dutiful woman or the wanton wife. The zenith of her career was surely her roles as Thomas More's daughter in A Man For All Seasons, in 1966, and her passionate performance as the feisty section officer who took on Kenneth More in the acclaimed film Battle of Britain in 1966.
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

3. Another of my dreams has gone
  4. Battle of Britain,she was hot in that,RIP lovely lady I will miss you.
  5. Fixed that for you. She tore a strip off Warrant Officer Warwick too in the same film.

"Battle of Britain" also starred Lovejoy (Ian McShane) as an enlisted pilot. Good stuff. :cyclopsani:
  6. Although she played few leading roles, there has only been a handful of years in the last 50 where she hasn't been in a film; that is some going - respect sweet lady.
  7. Classic movie. Loved the scene between the British diplomat and his opposite number from Germany, who tries to persuade him that Britain has no chance of resisting the Nazis...

"The last little corporal who tried to cross the channel did'nt do so well. So don't dare give us orders. Not until you're marching down Whitehall - and even then we won't listen!"

An RAF Officer tells an NCO to use captured Luftwaffe personnel to clean up the debris caused by an air raid on one of the RAF bases.

"What about the officers, sir?"

"Give them a bloody shovel!"
  8. The first pic Syrup posted looks like Mrs Seagull 1.0.

However I'm sad to hear of Ms York death.

Im sure she was in "they shoot horses don't they?" Beautiful if I remember rightly and very talented.
  9. Sad news. She was also in Tunes of Glory, my favourite film. And The Greengage Summer and Tom Jones.
  10. I met the woman. She rented a cottage from me about 5 years ago. It was booked under the name of Fletcher, her real name, so imagine my surprise to see one of the masterbatory fantasies from my youth arrive to pick up the keys.

She had two west highland terriers that got on very well with my lurcher. We went on several walks together but not far as her lungs were shot to bits. Her idea of breakfast was a couple of cigarettes.
  11. Who like a good Warrant Officer promptly ignored her hysteria and got on with the job. The whole dreary sub-plot with 'Colin' ruins that film IMO. I don't remember anything else she did. Sad for her family though.
  12. There's still time, they haven't buried her yet.
  13. Nice (if unattributed) extract from the Sunday Telegraph there. For me, she will always be the gorgeous, wronged Sophie Western in Tom Jones; she also played a minor role as Guinness' daughter in Tunes of Glory, another '60s classic. I'm sure that oh-so-sweet smile is now lighting up the halls of Valhalla.
  14. I remember watching that for the first time and being surprised at just how "dark" a film it was, with it's references to water-boarding, PTSD and suicide. Brilliant performances from all concerned.
  15. Waterboarding? You've got me stumped there (as Ponting probably didn't say). It's years since I saw that film, but I can't remember anything in it approaching Gitmo goings-on. Elucidation, please!