Actor Daniel Craig appointed honorary Royal Navy Commander

Countryboy

Old-Salt
Actor Daniel Craig appointed honorary Royal Navy Commander

242508585_10159672581868205_275203221777586652_n.jpg

Commander Craig’s appointment as an honorary officer reflects his personal support for UK Armed Forces and links it with the legacy created through the guise of the fictional British secret agent.
Honorary officers in the Royal Navy bring a breadth of experience and contribute in their own distinct way to strengthen the navy’s ties with the communities it serves.
Commander Craig is keen to support personnel within the Royal Navy, with a particular interest in service families.

Commander Craig said: “I am truly privileged and honoured to be appointed the rank of Honorary Commander in the senior service.”
The announcement comes ahead of the premiere of the newest Bond instalment No Time to Die.

Filmmakers worked closely with the Royal Navy and Ministry of Defence in the production of the latest film in the franchise.
Warship HMS Dragon features in the movie with a sneak preview of the distinct Type 45 destroyer, with her red dragon emblem on the hull, seen cutting through the waves in the latest trailer.
Actor Daniel Craig has been made an honorary Commander in the Royal Navy. Picture: LPhot Lee Blease
First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Tony Radakin said: “I am delighted to welcome honorary Commander Daniel Craig to the Royal Navy.

“Our honorary officers act as ambassadors and advocates for the Service, sharing their time and expertise to spread the message about what our global, modern, and ready Royal Navy is doing around the world.

“Daniel Craig is well known for being Commander Bond for the last fifteen years – a Naval officer who keeps Britain safe through missions across the globe.

“That’s what the real Royal Navy does every day, using technology and skill the same way as Bond himself.

“I look forward to him getting to see more of our sailors and marines over the coming months and years.”

Great stuff!

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
IIRC in the books James Bond was in the Royal Naval Reserve till the end of the war then resigned to join the civil service. But then I don't suppose being an Honorary Permanent Under Secretary would sell as many cinema tickets!

Does he have to provide his own iPod or does that get issued?

Biggish

Old-Salt
Congratulations also to Terry Thomas, who has been posthumously awarded a DFC and bar for his role in “Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines”

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How many RN ships have made an appearance in a bond film? Fearless did and I think Andrew.
Any others?
HMS Westminster was in Tomorrow Never Dies.

There is a bit where you see it shooting something with Phalanx.

Type 23s don’t have Phalanx.

Wildcats and Merlins appeared in Skyfall.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The Andrew will do anything to promote PCS as the new normal :)

dan_brown

War Hero
DC has slated the Bond role and "can't wait to be done with it" + he has already made his last Bond movie.

Not sure why he accepted the honorary position if he is so against the role and not sure why the RN didn't do this several movies ago and not on his exit.

D

Deleted 100463

DC has slated the Bond role and "can't wait to be done with it" + he has already made his last Bond movie.

Not sure why he accepted the honorary position if he is so against the role and not sure why the RN didn't do this several movies ago and not on his exit.
That's not quite what he did. He came off the back of a film that did result in him getting injured more often, plus the inevitable issues with escaping the James Bond character every day, both professionally and in day to day life, I can't say I blame him.

Even Connery has publicly said hated playing James Bond.

242508585_10159672581868205_275203221777586652_n.jpg

Agent R: "It's time to put on the last suit you'll ever wear".
Agent C: "The difference between us is I make this look good".

dan_brown

War Hero
That's not quite what he did. He came off the back of a film that did result in him getting injured more often, plus the inevitable issues with escaping the James Bond character every day, both professionally and in day to day life, I can't say I blame him.

Even Connery has publicly said hated playing James Bond.
"I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on."

Craig went on to clarify that “if I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.”

But was happy to catapulted to international star and take the £85m from Bond.

Can't say you blame him? - i think it's cool to hate, keeps Bond/Craig in the news and no doubt was a lever when he negotiated his next Bond movie salary.

Latest Threads