Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

4(T)

LE
Christobel

From the book The Past is Myself
by Christobel Bielenburg

Going OT a little, but wasn't Palmer a former small arms instructor RM? ISTR he and Michael Bentine were quite handy with weapons, and did some demo or other back in the days when practical pistol was a thing.

Going OT a little, but wasn't Palmer a former small arms instructor RM? ISTR he and Michael Bentine were quite handy with weapons, and did some demo or other back in the days when practical pistol was a thing.

I recall something about Bentine but Palmer is a new one on me.

Come to think of it - probably not.
He tried to defend himself with a 3 iron ....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I recall something about Bentine but Palmer is a new one on me.

Come to think of it - probably not.
He tried to defend himself with a 3 iron ....
Was he Royal Artillery? A Golf callsign?

I may have the number wrong. As Reggie Perrin’s brother in law, he was always referring to his Army service in BFPO (I think) 46. I can’t be Arrsed to dig through YouTube to find him actually saying that!
Bunde.

In my once only time on a film set I had to butt-stroke Geoffrey Palmer with an MP40.

Bastards wouldn't give us any ammuntion.
Did Geoffrey have a smooth bum?

I can only relate to the ammunition we used in the army back in the 70’s but “Blanks” aren’t a safe option in pretty much all circumstances unless the rules on using them are followed. They can still emit particles from the weapon that could cause serious harm or worse.

Even using a BFA wasn’t a guarantee of absolute safety. Hence you never pointed a weapon directly at someone even when on exercise using blank ammunition and BFA’s on a weapon.

I’m sure there are people on here who will know more precisely what the safety rules are for using blank ammunition on film sets and just how safe it is these days but there must be some element of risk and presumably actors will have received training to minimise the risk.

Rule no 1 being never actually point the weapon directly at someone!

Mr Baldwin must be feeling pretty upset at the moment. It’s a particularly crap day when you turn up to work and a colleagues life ends because of something you did even if it was done inadvertently.
During recruit training we were out doing our first bit of field soldiering.
We'd had all the safety demos showing 7.62 blank with a cardboard box over the muzzle turning it inside out and then with a BFA attached, still making a more directional mess of the box. Thunderflash sending a helmet into orbit etc, we've all been there I'm sure.

Well, at one point we were practicing snap ambushes, I got into cover behind a BFO tree that had been felled followed by a handful of others. Whilst waiting in position something hard clunked against the side of my helmet by my right ear. I turned my head to look to be greeted by the muzzle of an SLR with BFA attached, right next to my head. The nugget had the idea that his muzzle right next to my head was a good idea and I quickly pointed out he needed to find cover elsewhere before he blows my eardrum out, or worse. Thank Zeus it hit my helmet when it did because in a short time we were letting rip with some fire at "the enemy" and I'd have had no use for stereo headphones but might have needed an eye patch.

It was the same fecker who turned around on the firing point still pulling his trigger saying in Scouse "I woan fiya Sair!" He also had a habit of lighting up the harbour area with his red torch because, "I doan marra if is a red light, the Bombardier sez so."

He was worth a battalion to the enemy.

They bodged making the blanks in that case, despite the conspiracy theories I bet it really was accidental
Also despite the conspiracy theory / myth, they didn't leave the death in the final cut of the film.

Actingunpaid

War Hero
Must be due a visit to Specsavers, as I read the headline this morning about Baldwin shooting someone with a pop-gun:?

popgun.png

TamH70

MIA
I would have thought Baldwin would have checked it himself as most yanks have some weapon training.

Baldwin is one of those anti-Second Amendment types. There's a reason why he got the pish absolutely ripped out of him in "Team America - World Police".

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Bentine had a hand in the SAS’s early CQB days. He was an ace pistol shot and helped to train people.

Latest Threads