Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Unless that gun is identical to the one in AB's hand, I'm not convinced he's actually proving anything by his little pantomime.

Any armourers care to comment?
I wouldn’t class myself as an armourer, but I’m aware of some of the iterations of revolver mechanisms. As I understand it some of the early revolvers have a relatively crude trigger and hammer arrangement, so the firing pin rests on the cartridges when down. This led to a carry condition of only 5 chambers loaded so the hammer would rest on an empty chamber to avoid firing by snagging the hammer.
The pistol displayed seemed to have several ’half-cock’ positions which would prevent that sort of thing, which suggests that there are some older revolvers that don’t have them and could be fired by releasing the hammer from a point where it is not held by the trigger mechanism.

Or a gun with a worn sear could drop the hammer without recourse to the trigger.

I think that it’s significant that Baldwin had just drawn the gun from a holster.
Let us assume that he squeezed the trigger as he drew. He shouldn’t, but it does happen, and one occasionally hears of cases where a shooter puts a round into his leg. This usually occurs with a double action revolver or a semi-auto carried with a round in the breech. I knew an individual - a copper with a Glock 17 - who did just this. (To be more precise, I knew several members of his ARG and Firearms instructors.)
It’s a basic handling error, but people do it, either through inexperience or in high stress situations.
Now, Baldwin’s revolver was a single action. A simple trigger pull would not be enough to fire it. However, if he kept pressure on the trigger during and after the draw, and then thumbed back and released the hammer, as he said he did, the gun would fire.

If all he was doing was walking through the proposed scene, he didnt even need a gun. His hand would have done. If he had his finger inside the trigger guard, it's on him.

If all he was doing was walking through the proposed scene, he didnt even need a gun. His hand would have done. If he had his finger inside the trigger guard, it's on him.
Not if the (deceased) cinematographer was figuring out how to capture on film the act of the weapon being cocked.

I have a Colt SAA 71/2" barrel 3rd Generation in .45Colt.
So far it will only go BANG if my finger is on the trigger.
It's in good working order and has not been altered in anyway.
Unless the one Mr Baldwin was a dedicated 'Slip Gun' designed to be expressly used for fanning then one must conclude that he must have had his finger on the trigger.

TamH70

MIA
Unless that gun is identical to the one in AB's hand, I'm not convinced he's actually proving anything by his little pantomime.

Any armourers care to comment?

It might not be identical in terms of branding, but it's identical in terms of function, being as it's based on Colt's single-action mechanism for the revolver, patented back in the 1840s, itself a refinement of the one he created in the 1830s for the Paterson revolver.

It might not be identical in terms of branding, but it's identical in terms of function, being as it's based on Colt's single-action mechanism for the revolver, patented back in the 1840s, itself a refinement of the one he created in the 1830s for the Paterson revolver.
Maybe, but see #1,366 above.

Either way, time will tell, and no doubt the weapon's already had forensic firearms ninjas all over it.

Last edited:
THIS seems like a pretty good analysis of AB's interview. Bottom line, he's probably legally OK, if not in the clear but he hasn't made himself look good.
Really handy to have top notch acting skills in these sorts of circumstances though.

I have a Colt SAA 71/2" barrel 3rd Generation in .45Colt.
So far it will only go BANG if my finger is on the trigger.
It's in good working order and has not been altered in anyway.
Unless the one Mr Baldwin was a dedicated 'Slip Gun' designed to be expressly used for fanning then one must conclude that he must have had his finger on the trigger.
So it's impossible to draw the hammer back almost until the "click" then have it slip forward and detonate the cartridge?
It's just that AB swears blind his finger was not on the trigger. Either that or he's a man who isn't that good with guns and didn't have his mind on the job.
But he says he didn't pull the trigger.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
So it's impossible to draw the hammer back almost until the "click" then have it slip forward and detonate the cartridge?
It's just that AB swears blind his finger was not on the trigger. Either that or he's a man who isn't that good with guns and didn't have his mind on the job.
Yes single action revolvers will usually fire if you let go of the hammer just before cocking.

Part of the answer -about the mechanics of a Colt 45 revolver of the period - might, just, be in one or other of those videos.

I'm guessing (in a largely uninformed way) that there may be other variables in play

There is, f'rinstance, the possibility that the round which killed Halyna was not factory-made, but re-loaded, using a spent case.

Which would require a replacement primer(?) cap. If I have it right, primers are the ammo component most likely to degrade over time, and become more sensitive to impact.

If that's so, then maybe your hypothesis is valid.

If it ain't, we're both talking out of our arrses :thumleft:

It's possible if the sears are worn on original SAA's especially if they have been used for fanning. It would need the full cock, half cock and safety notches all to be broken. An accidental slip of the hammer would usually be caught by those if in good working order. Depending on age, the Italian replicas have a safety transfer bar which stops the revolver from firing if the hammer is dropped while cocking...for it to fire the trigger would have to be pulled.

The fact remains he did cock the hammer on a loaded round and point it directly at the lady who died. In that interview he also said he thought she'd feinted at first. Now that is utter bullshit as he would have know in an instant he'd just fired a .45 Colt with a bullet not a blank due to the heavy recoil of that round.

he also said he thought she'd feinted at first. Now that is utter bullshit as he would have know in an instant he'd just fired a .45 Colt with a bullet not a blank due to the heavy recoil of that round.
I'd be inclined to give him benefit of the doubt - something sudden, loud, catastrophic and utterly unexpected had happened in a sudden, noisy heartbeat, and I can understand pretty much anyone under the curcumstances having a major "WTF!!-moment" while they processed all the sudden input of that event.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to give him benefit of the doubt - somethng noisy, catastrophic and utterly unexpected had happened in a sudden, noisy heartbeat, and I can understand pretty much anyone under the curcumstances having a major "WTF!!-moment" while they processed all the sudden input of that event.
I respectfully disagree, the recoil is substantial...he would have know instantly that it was not a blank...he's experienced with using blanks and would know something very different had just occurred. Remember .45Colt was the .44 Magnum of the day, the recoil is substantial even with the original black powder loading...heavy enough to lift the revolver and your arm from parallel to above your head. Even with reduced loads you can feel it and with smokeless it's even worse.

It's clear that interview was rehearsed & I can't help but think he's lying through his teeth.

Latest Threads