Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

There was a story circulating from the mid 70's that a disaster was narrowly averted at a REME passing out parade.
It was usual to put on a small display for the families of the passing out platoon in an old drill shed.
One of the displays was an ambush on an unsuspecting platoon with a machine gun nest, an LMG as a rule.
The idea was to open up on the passing soldiers with a mag or 2 of blank ammo and make lots of noise. Luckily one of the eagle eyed recruits spotted that the mags supplied by the armourer contained live rounds and not blanks and a bloodbath was avoided.
I'm not 100% that it was only an urban myth but there was some truth to it.
It was around 75/76 I think. Any memories of it @Fiona_TG

Because...
weapon-44-special-gun-aim-footage-052422617_iconl.jpeg

Looks cool on camera, and the shot duo were behind the camera?
Conjecture on my part here.

Indeed, - just wondering if the blast from a powerful blank would be enough to drive the camera eyepieces backwards at speed into their faces...

Many years ago, we attended a Staff College range day on our European Tour, where some students got to test fire a variety of former Warsaw Pact weapons, including a Dragunov sniper rifle, which had an old style fixed metal telescopic sight. In one case, the recoil came back so hard that it cut one student's eyebrow open, any lower and it would have been his eye...

On that occasion, chuckles all round, but.....

Last edited:
Ironic that Baldwin is someone who advocates for gun control, yet is happy to make his living glamourising them, AND then manages to kill someone with one.

Hollywood liberals......

ches

LE
Ironic that Baldwin is someone who advocates for gun control, yet is happy to make his living glamourising them, AND then manages to kill someone with one.

Hollywood liberals......

Really? Someone had died in a tragic accident & you're trying to score points. Give your head a wobble FFS.

Hollywood liberals......

Obviously forgot to ABC: Always Be Checking(the weapon). ;)

Hollywood liberals......

Vets after a day of saving every farm animal as best they can, and live for things like bringing in new life with lambing, love a good pork pie 'n salad or steak & kidney pie like the rest of us.;)

Blogg

LE
Did a bit of shouting at the radio:

As noted blanks are fully capable of inflicting injury and in rare cases causing death and not to be treated lightly.

Friend of No.1 son works in film industry and tells of a near miss on one of his productions where the second unit in Eastern Europe (cheap innit) had sourced "blanks" for a big battle scene that included some bulleted training projectiles.

That only got called out by extras who had military experience.

My experience of firearms as film props was last tested on the set of 'Kingsman' and, to a lesser degree, '24'.

Having a decent chat to the props company staff, the HO hoops they were obliged to jump through were eye watering: active weapons obliged to travel in a securely secured lock box, blank ammunition separately.

The relevant Police force areas through which they would transit would be informed - Met Police could get quite grumpy if cargo such as this went through their area and they had not been informed (a couple of previous traffic stops had generated all manner of excitement).

The non-functioning 'weapons' (very life-like solid rubber facsimiles: the holstered Glocks were all one formed unit) were held separately from the functioning weapons.

Those weapons remained boxed, with the stoutest member of the company sat on the lid. The lid was only opened to issue or receive a weapon. The issue process was probably the weakest part of the system: you offered up your Extras time sheet (which noted if you were to be issued a live weapon or not) and out it came.

The rounds and magazine was issued only on set, just prior to the take. Immediately that scene was wrapped, you reversed the process for return.

If one was unaccounted for, no-one left the set or the site until it was accounted for*.

* as a Roided-out Saffer ex-PARA discovered to his misery: he'd hung it on the hook of the clothes rack were we changed, believing it was his for the duration. :rolleyes:

In my once only time on a film set I had to butt-stroke Geoffrey Palmer with an MP40.

Bastards wouldn't give us any ammuntion.

There was a story circulating from the mid 70's that a disaster was narrowly averted at a REME passing out parade.
It was usual to put on a small display for the families of the passing out platoon in an old drill shed.
One of the displays was an ambush on an unsuspecting platoon with a machine gun nest, an LMG as a rule.
The idea was to open up on the passing soldiers with a mag or 2 of blank ammo and make lots of noise. Luckily one of the eagle eyed recruits spotted that the mags supplied by the armourer contained live rounds and not blanks and a bloodbath was avoided.
I'm not 100% that it was only an urban myth but there was some truth to it.
It was around 75/76 I think. Any memories of it @Fiona_TG

I never heard about this and would hope it is urban myth but you never know.

As for this Alec Baldwin incident it sounds like utter negligence along the way way someone or maybe more that one person, but this is the US where gun handling and safe management seem to be unheard of concepts so not that surprising when I think about it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I bet he was nervous about that one, had the Butterflies.
Shh now everyone knows @medwaymud is in fact Wendy Craig. Though I missed the episode in which she wielded an MP40.

TamH70

MIA
I never heard about this and would hope it is urban myth but you never know.

As for this Alec Baldwin incident it sounds like utter negligence along the way way someone or maybe more that one person, but this is the US where gun handling and safe management seem to be unheard of concepts so not that surprising when I think about it.

Depends on the movie set. The ones for the John Wick franchise are meant to be fanatically well supervised when it comes to bangy stuff and its safe usage. Keanu Reeves, the star of the show, has had numerous videos of him practising safe drills and shooting on firing ranges, and all the other actors who go near firearms are well-drilled too.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
Did a bit of shouting at the radio:

As noted blanks are fully capable of inflicting injury and in rare cases causing death and not to be treated lightly.

Friend of No.1 son works in film industry and tells of a near miss on one of his productions where the second unit in Eastern Europe (cheap innit) had sourced "blanks" for a big battle scene that included some bulleted training projectiles.

That only got called out by extras who had military experience.
The Maj needs to do his home work.

A Tweet of his from 2017 has been dug up....

0_Alec-Baldwin-tweet-about-wrongfully-killing-someone-resurfaces-as-star-shoots-crew-member-dead-in.jpg

I guess, now he knows the answer....

Really? Someone had died in a tragic accident & you're trying to score points. Give your head a wobble FFS.
A tragic accident indeed, but Baldwin is fair game. He's always very happy, gleeful in fact, to use other's misfortune to score political points, so he can suck it up or **** off.