Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was shot in left upper thigh fom a blank round from a "that Rifle" that did not have a BFA in Basic Training. I had lightweights on and the barrel was pretty much in contact with my leg, it was during a clearence of a trench position after a section attack! After the initial shock , I looked at my leg and was surprised that there was no blood, the particles from the blank and my trouser material had been blasted into my skin! I looked up at my colleague and said "Pearson you better start running!" I then spent a good five minutes chasing him over the excercise area like a bad Benny Hill skit, with the DS looking on in complete disbelievement!

The worst (apart from a scar that is still visible after 40yrs) was that the civvie storeman would not exchange the lightweights and gave me a tailors chit for a patch, the hole was directly on the front crease line to go on parade with!!
Similar thing happened to me in 1984. I was enemy. A friendly forces chap fired an SLR blank round at point blank into my crutch area. Blew a hole through my tropicals but missed anything vital. Had to go to hospital to have the shit scrubbed out which was very uncomfortable. Little bits emerged now and again for years and I still have the scars. Happy Days!

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
The Bren (rather than LMG) used to have a 'masher barrel' and bulleted blank (wooden rounds) to enable automatic fire, no BFA.

Quite sporty when that got going!
Blank round with wood facsimile 'bullets' soaked in a blue preservative type coating for easy identification

in the dark

what could possibly go wrong?

A properly run and budgeted film employ armourers to supply and administer weapons used on set - from swords, bows, etc to firearms.
Cheap fly-by-night productions are known to cut corners. I'm not suggesting that this film comes under that category.

I've worked with this lot quite a few times Home | www.bapty.co.uk

Conwy knight shop do that kind of thing locally, always fancied getting Excalibur from there

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
You say that like it's a bad thing....

Oh no sir, you misunderstand.

I have fond memories of a Ptarmigan training exercise, drinking Herfy at 7.00am and progressing onto Elephant beer for lunch followed by compo for dinner and vomiting for dessert.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
One thing that bugs me about this - why did Baldwin point the gun at the cinematographer and director in the first place? I doubt they were so close that a misfire would've exploded the barrel and injured them.

I appreciate that luvvy actors rarely have range safety on their mind, but I'm struggling to come up with an explanation for why he would do that.

One thing that bugs me about this - why did Baldwin point the gun at the cinematographer and director in the first place? I doubt they were so close that a misfire would've exploded the barrel and injured them.

I appreciate that luvvy actors rarely have range safety on their mind, but I'm struggling to come up with an explanation for why he would do that.

For the moment, my money would be on getting a "down the barrel" shot of him firing.

Endoscope

LE
Book Reviewer
Similar thing happened to me in 1984. I was enemy. A friendly forces chap fired an SLR blank round at point blank into my crutch area. Blew a hole through my tropicals but missed anything vital. Had to go to hospital to have the shit scrubbed out which was very uncomfortable. Little bits emerged now and again for years and I still have the scars. Happy Days!
It was a small target

Because...
weapon-44-special-gun-aim-footage-052422617_iconl.jpeg

Looks cool on camera, and the shot duo were behind the camera?
Conjecture on my part here.

My experience of firearms as film props was last tested on the set of 'Kingsman' and, to a lesser degree, '24'.

Having a decent chat to the props company staff, the HO hoops they were obliged to jump through were eye watering: active weapons obliged to travel in a securely secured lock box, blank ammunition separately.

The relevant Police force areas through which they would transit would be informed - Met Police could get quite grumpy if cargo such as this went through their area and they had not been informed (a couple of previous traffic stops had generated all manner of excitement).

The non-functioning 'weapons' (very life-like solid rubber facsimiles: the holstered Glocks were all one formed unit) were held separately from the functioning weapons.

Those weapons remained boxed, with the stoutest member of the company sat on the lid. The lid was only opened to issue or receive a weapon. The issue process was probably the weakest part of the system: you offered up your Extras time sheet (which noted if you were to be issued a live weapon or not) and out it came.

The rounds and magazine was issued only on set, just prior to the take. Immediately that scene was wrapped, you reversed the process for return.

If one was unaccounted for, no-one left the set or the site until it was accounted for*.

* as a Roided-out Saffer ex-PARA discovered to his misery: he'd hung it on the hook of the clothes rack were we changed, believing it was his for the duration. :rolleyes:

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt
As they were filming a western movie (presumably featuring revolvers rather than automatics), I imagine it's quite likely that that the guns are real rather than props.
That would not be smart or necessary, prop gun's can be chambered in cartridge sizes unique to blanks such as 8mm.

Maybe the filming wasn't going Alec's way and the Director was getting on his tits... He's been charged a couple of times in the past for anger management issues so the investigation will have to consider the possibility (even if it's just for shit stirring reasons by some actors who don't like him as he has rubbed a few up the wrong way) Can't just be instantly dismissed as an accident...

I mean if he can get into a fist fight in the street over someone taking his parking space he can ramp up the aggro if he feels a Director is ******* up a film and making him look bad right...?
Alec-Baldwin-Arrested-After-Fight-Over-Parking-Spot-Report.jpg
Meanwhile, back in the real world…

Latest Threads