Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman on film set.

Sorry but i cant be arsed to read all 34 pages but apparently what happened is that the armourer (some girl with no military or police experience in her early 20's) had allowed the revolver to be used by the crew for plinking with live rounds earlier that day. I dont understand why every new organisation keeps on calling it a "prop gun" when it's actually nothing of the sort.

Said revolver was not unloaded or cleared after plinking, went back on the trolley with the others, the AD (who has previous form for this sort of thing and will be the one taking the flack) handed it to Baldwin and declared it safe or "cold" in movie crew speak and then later on baldwin drew it, cocked it, pointed it at the lady who is now dead and pressed the trigger.

I'd like to see all three of them raked over the coals for this entirely avoidable death.

Incidentally, when i was a teenager in the acf I remember a lad had nicked some live rounds from the range and for some reason, on exercise later that week where we all had l85's with bfa's he took his bfa off, put a live round in the top of his mag and shot a tree. At the time nobody seemed that bothered, i wasn't really that bothered either but i supposed i had the benefit of seeing that the rest of the ammo in his mag were blanks but shit, that could have gone terribly wrong. Wonder how many other times that has happened over the years.
So why did you have BFA's ?

I was on an excersise (in 97 ish) at unit level on Salisbury where we went non tac for an hour or two and went through all our blank amunition, laid it out had it and our pouches checked etc.

Grapevine said that someone shot their BFA off during a stance. No idea how true or what the outcome was. But something must have happened for the ex to be put on hold.

Also there was the case in 2013 where a nod was shot and killed because a member of the training team bumped the recruits using the emergency live mag instead of the training blank mags.

Do you mean to say there was a mag of ball ammo intentionally present in a blank fire exercise?

Do you mean to say there was a mag of ball ammo intentionally present in a blank fire exercise?

Use to happen alot when the security threat was high. The guard would be armed with live rounds.
Its how a bootie trainee came to be shot dead on exercise.

Use to happen alot when the security threat was high. The guard would be armed with live rounds.
Indeed although different places had different responses.

For example, after the IRA blew up the Band's instruments at Strensall, the roving piquet upgraded their 58 pattern pick helves to the much more lethal GS version.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Looking at what now so far there are still too many questions that remain unanswered

Who was bringing live ammunition on set?
Was it Crew Members, the Armourer, the Assistant Director etc?​
How did bulleted ammunition get into the gun?
Was live bulleted ammunition mixed with blank?​
Did the Armourer make a mistake loading the weapon?​
Who were the Crew Members using the production weapons for plinking?
Was the Armourer aware that the production weapons were being used for plinking?
Had she given permission?​
Had she been browbeaten, through lack of experience, into allowing production weapons to be used for plinking?​
Who gave the crew permission to play with the weapons?​
If the Armourer wasn't aware that the production weapons being used were for plinking, how were they crew members accessing them?
Were they going behind her back?​
Were they accessing secure storage to get them or were they just picking them up off the table and taking them?​
What were the security protocols in place, if any?
Was there any secure storage?​
Were the Guns left out without supervision and if not why not?​
If they were supervised, who was letting them be used?​
Why was it the AD who gave the gun in question to Baldwin and not the Armourer?
Which crew members had been using the guns for plinking that day?
Did they just put the gun back on the table after they finished?​
Did it pass through the Armourer's hands between the time it was used for plinking and the moment the AD picked it up?​
Most of the reports have mentioned the AD being the one who handed Baldwin the weapon, but where was the Armourer at that moment?
Was she on set, off set, nipped for piss?​
I may have missed it, but I can't remeber a report mentioning that she was present at the scene, but if I've missed it let me know.​

Still too many unknowns right now for definitive answers, but considering the attention this is getting, we'll find out soon enough.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
569B6DBD-307B-49E8-8869-D6E2BCA42A24.jpeg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Duke_of_Kaos

War Hero

Same as post above 97 ex stopped to check for live in blank. Also in Belize and Kenya Pl Comd/Sgt carried a taped up mag of live rounds for protection of patrols from local wildlife.
5 mags blank 1 of live with BFA fitted.
I opted to bin BFA into Bergan as swapping a mag is not a long process but removing a BFA and doing a mag change is.

Looking at what now so far there are still too many questions that remain unanswered

Was the Armourer aware that the production weapons were being used for plinking?
Had she been browbeaten, through lack of experience, into allowing production weapons to be used for plinking?​
If the Armourer wasn't aware that the production weapons being used were for plinking, how were they crew members accessing them?
Were they accessing secure storage to get them or were they just picking them up off the table and taking them?​
Did it pass through the Armourer's hands between the time it was used for plinking and the moment the AD picked it up?​
Most of the reports have mentioned the AD being the one who handed Baldwin the weapon, but where was the Armourer at that moment?
I may have missed it, but I can't remeber a report mentioning that she was present at the scene, but if I've missed it let me know.​

Still too many unknowns right now for definitive answers, but considering the attention this is getting, we'll find out soon enough.
Considering how Nicholas Cage wanted her fired for dangerous behaviour and unsafe practices, carrying live and blank rounds mixed together on set, firing off rounds near crew and cast who had no warning OR ear protection on a previous film this year, I think we can assume that she had not got a grip between that film and 'Rust'.

Oyibo

LE

Fully agreed, and I'd add 'Who was responsible for safety on the set?' That can be taken all the way up from the actor to the producer.

While I don't think that Alec Baldwin was necessarily at fault for firing after being told the gun was 'cold', if he was part of the leadership team that allowed sloppy procedures to lead to the death he is culpable.

DSJ

LE
Considering how Nicholas Cage wanted her fired for dangerous behaviour and unsafe practices, carrying live and blank rounds mixed together on set, firing off rounds near crew and cast who had no warning OR ear protection on a previous film this year, I think we can assume that she had not got a grip between that film and 'Rust'.

Which film set was the Nicholas Cage film?

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Another update.

It appears that the AD cannot fully recall if he did in fact check for rounds in the revolver before the shooting, it was " usually " done with the armourer flipping out the " drum " ( apparently cylinder is too technical a term for them) and showing that there are no rounds or were dummies.

Due to the threat level, there would be an emergency mag or mags that the training team would have. If I remember correctly they had orange tape on them.

During the earlier excercises on Woodbury Common (Ex Twosome & Ex Hunters Moon), the training team would introduce us to the wonders & enjoyment of the crash move. Usually at 0400 ish so they could then proceed to inspect our hastily grabbed and 'packed' kit and then merrily beast us for forgotten roll mats, dirty weapons / mess tins and any kit left in the harbour area.

Crash moves would be initiated with thunderflash's, schermuly's and one or two members of the training team firing blank into the harbour area.

QRK2

LE
Due to the threat level, there would be an emergency mag or mags that the training team would have. If I remember correctly they had orange tape on them.

During the earlier excercises on Woodbury Common (Ex Twosome & Ex Hunters Moon), the training team would introduce us to the wonders & enjoyment of the crash move. Usually at 0400 ish so they could then proceed to inspect our hastily grabbed and 'packed' kit and then merrily beast us for forgotten roll mats, dirty weapons / mess tins and any kit left in the harbour area.

Crash moves would be initiated with thunderflash's, schermuly's and one or two members of the training team firing blank into the harbour area.

Indeed this was a Hunters Moon.

This is from numerous websites. (Here's just one)

At 24, Gutierrez Reed had little experience working as an armorer. She told detectives that on the morning of the shooting, she checked the dummy bullets — bullets that appear real, save for a small hole in the side of the casing that identifies them as inoperable — to ensure none were “hot,” according to a search warrant affidavit made public Wednesday.
When the crew broke for lunch, the guns used for filming were locked in a safe inside a large white truck where props were kept, Gutierrez Reed said. The ammunition, however, was left unsecured on a cart. There was additional ammo inside the prop truck.
After lunch, the film’s prop master, Sarah Zachry, removed the guns from the safe and handed them to Gutierrez Reed, Gutierrez Reed told investigators.
According to a search warrant affidavit released last Friday, Gutierrez Reed set three guns on a cart outside the church, and assistant director Dave Halls took one from the cart and handed it to Baldwin. The document released Wednesday said the armorer sometimes handed the gun to Baldwin, and sometimes to Halls.
Gutierrez Reed declined to comment when contacted by The Associated Press on Wednesday. She wrote in a text message Monday that she was trying to find a lawyer.

I feel sorry for Hannah Gutierrez-Reed.
She's a naive sweetie-pie who did her best, is clearly a nice person, but was in way over her young head.
I do hope she finds a good lawyer.
While she accepted the job, she probably should never have been offered it.
('Rust', and/or Baldwin, cost-and-corner-cutting again.)

This is being claimed as a statement by Trump on Twitter...not sure myself.

FCzQ7rQXIAolKGu.jpeg

Latest Threads